Pimax Recruitment | The Translator

I’m guessing this is their biggest forum (outside China). Although English, the flags displayed here show it’s international make-up. Perhaps for the same reason English is the international language of the air. It represents a large enough demographic. This is not to say other languages don’t have need for proper translation. Only that the recruitment is being sought in an English forum so stands to reason that would be the primary criteria.

4 Likes

That is an interesting point.

Hi guys ! Hope I am not too late for this. I am a big fan of what Pimax is doing! Really want to contribute something to Pimax.
I am volunteering for translation from Chinese to English or back. Fluent in both Chinese and English, I did some English movie subtitle translation in the past, most of my subtitles are rated 5 stars. Also I did translations for some Github projects. Therefore I am not really a professional translator, but just have quite some experience in it.
Of course my translation requires lots of proof reading from people here, but hey, my translation should be better than Google :grin:.

5 Likes

Neal, while that’s a good idea for testing the accuracy of translation, it might fall flat on some words of Chinese or English, because those words have “double meanings”, and the Google translator might only stick to one meaning and not realize the other.
Also sometimes it’s better to translate a sentence with a completely different sentence because of the cultural difference. People are much more familiar and comfortable with the most commonly used phrases, than another phrase with the same kind of meaning.
For example, when translating “Here is an example. How accurate is it?”, Google translated it to “这是一个示例。 它有多准确?” It’s OK to understand, but usually Chinese people don’t say it like that. They will say, “这就是个例子,准不准?” It fits better with the way normal Chinese would say.

3 Likes

So, what are the next steps August 5th has came and went?

1 Like

Well, now is Aug 8th. Seems nothing happened yet, maybe it’s just me.
Maybe some of us already started the job. If so, good luck and work hard !

1 Like

I do think they found someone to translate for english and already got what they needed. I dont think they needed much.

1 Like

Well the idea of a contest was over kill as the community has offered since before the KS to help with things like translations.

It is curious as to why there 3 days late in the schedule and of course silent.

3 Likes

Think you meant they’re. Sorry thought the translating had started :grinning:

The theres of english are often annoying at least between 2 of the they’res.

English has to be one of the worst languages for homophones.

2 Likes

Thank you for your guys’ enthusiasm! The translator team has already started;

And we will release the new website on community for the Beta Test next week ;

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.