Pimax Portal Hands On Prototype

5 Likes

This is focused almost entirely on the handheld aspect, but man it’s quite thorough and covers a lot of good bases on that functionality. Looks better than expected.

The look at the Pimax home was also kind of neat.

5 Likes

For uses as an emulation device this is awesome: I laughed out loud when the guy said I can only run PS2 at three times resolution lol ONLY lol while in VR no less

If you can emulate PlayStation 2 on this device it’s likely you could run Xbox emulation on this device. The thought of a Halo lan party in VR Running the emulator at 480p is a thought that is damn near sci-fi to my way of thinking.

If it’s true, this thing has lenses that you can get that make it ideal for watching movies, that’s even better for any emulation. You’re talking a backlight strobed 60 Hz LCD for playing PS2 or GameCube or Xbox on a device that should be capable with narrow FOV lenses of approximeeting and old Sony HMZT1.

For anyone born before the year 2000 this is pretty neat and I wasn’t even interested in portal to start.

Well done Pimax team.

3 Likes

ugh…Upload VR again. :roll_eyes:

They are right but it’s hard to ignore their disdain for anything Pimax.

1 Like

The Portal is my first step back into VR since my GearVR years ago and boy, some “VR enthusiasts” are kinda snobby imo. UploadVR seems to me to be one of those snobby types. I understand where they’re coming from but wow :flushed:

1 Like

But I’m stoked and I hope there’s more Portal content to come soon!

1 Like

It’s also funny that they only talked about the Portal and not the crystal. I love UploadVR but their Pimax coverage is always a bit jarring, although I don’t think they said anything unfair there really except imply that the portal controllers weren’t there (they were, but admittedly not working lol). I’m guessing they had some bad interaction before as it’s not the first time they have alluded to their emails with Pimax, pure speculation on my part.

I do really enjoy that podcast though, my favourite weekly news coverage of VR in general.

1 Like

I think portal will be great but right now the VR aspect isn’t ready, just a fact. As a handheld it seems fantastic, and I’m sure they’ll eventually get the VR aspect up to speed and working well.

1 Like

Kickstarter has finished on 605.

2 Likes

With VR channels it’s bashing Pimax. Here we call it constructive criticism :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.