Pimax native projection and pre-lens warp transformation

I have not tried on Vive (have it currently packed in the closet), but on my Pimax 5k+, even setting the ipdOffest to -0.1 does not seem to change anything rendering wise in SteamVR Home.

Possibly right as I only looked into doing it for the pimax quickly this lunch time ,
That would mean that pimax is using it’s own configuration file

More I think about it, more it seems to me that the IPD offset was rather a hack applied to the scalar value of the IPD in the world of the headset with parallel projection. In the world of Pimax and its canted panels the only correct way to define the eye view in the space is by using its eye to head (or eye to camera) transform and hacking it would mean to hack this transformation matrix, because you probably might need to adjust the angles as well (as you cannot simply move the projection over the panel which is not parallel to the eye move).

1 Like

Hi
I just tried changing the values by a 10mm margin for the pimax and you’re correct this doesn’t appear to change anything on the pimax , pimax must ignore this setting , still a great hack for the vivepro gear mod though

Something odd I’ve noticed is that 3D movies appear quite blurry and have poor 3D overlap in comparison to using a mirror image in each eye. Especially when there is something up close where it appears like there are two images that are not aligned.

I tried using DeoVR movie player app which allows you to actually change the horizontal picture offset to move the images closer or farther apart. However it did not look like it helped. Changing the IPD slider on the Pimax did not seem to help either.

Could this be an issue of parallel projection causing poor transformation of the images? Has anyone noticed a similar problem on Vive or Oculus?

It’s possible that you are seeing an nVidia bug.

Try this: In nVidia Control Panel, select the “Adjust desktop size and position” page, set Scaling to “No scaling”, click apply, and then reboot (to make sure everything gets updated). This fixed severe VR blurriness for a few people.

1 Like

Notice that everytime steamVR is launched with pi tool open that this file gets written to

Guess we will have to wait for pimax to provide some advanced options in pitools

I did not have scaling enabled in this case, but thanks for the tip!

I think it may be a problem of just how close objects are seen in VR. Doc_ok had a nice article on his VR research blog explaining that object that are closer than the “virtual screen” that you see in the lenses are not displayed properly.

Your eyes want to focus 1 meter away but the object rendered is 50cm away. This might be the reason for the double vision of close up objects. I will have to test it in some different games to verify though. Not sure if it’s an issue with Pimax, parallel projection, or all VR HMDs.

1 Like

Re ipd offset
I just fine tuned it for the vive pro with gearvr lens and it works fine

Just realised I had the files mixed up
It writes to the c:/users/accountname/AppData/local/openvr/steamvr.vrsettings file not the one in common/steamvr .
pimax doesn’t seem to use this config file

1 Like

So pretty much pointless to edit and change ipd offset for pimax users?

unless there’s a similar thing in the pi-tools software