Pimax EU Roadshow-Stop 5: VR Days

But the steam VR face plate won’t be ready untill late next year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ll let you know tomorrow when I try them side to side but so far Crystal is about 2/3 the price but has a full feature set (even a mic, does varjo know about those?), has larger FOV, much better colours etc. I don’t see how it would be “on par”.

Aero v2 may come out although there’s nothing right now to suggest that, plus it will likely be insanely overpriced again anyway.

Reverb G3…I really hope we see it, but I don’t think we will. Really really hope we do though!

5 Likes

Personally I’m hopefull for the local dimming/contrast but the crystals potato FOV doesn’t interest me… Especially not in such a large form factor. The 12K will be the true upgrade if that ever happens

4 Likes

The crystal excites me because we can see this tech that will be going into the 12k in action, and hopefully work the bugs out beforehand. Knowing that the local dimming is working and is producing excellent results already is great news for the 12k, Now we just need to make sure the auto ipd and other headset agnostic features can get into a good state so that the 12k can come out the gate swinging…whenever that is lol

6 Likes

you might check the hands on video of MRTV ;PIMAX CRYSTAL HANDS-ON IMPRESSIONS - This High-End VR Headset Has SOOO MUCH Potential, BUT... - YouTube

2 Likes

thank you for your reviews and nice pics; I 'm so glad you like Portal and Crystal… :grinning:

3 Likes

It should be 27PPD on Aspheric lenses

2 Likes

Thanks for the correction! That makes sense as it’s definitely a significant improvement over 8kx clarity!

As for the question about steam VR, @SweViver was kind enough to let me check anything I wanted. I must say they are being totally open there and not trying to hide anything or create a super controlled environment.

Anyway, this is steam VR at 1.0 in Pimax Client (the new pitool):

Today I tried Project cars 2 on a 3080. I was very very happy to see a solid 60fps at that resolution, then motion smoothed to 120. It was working great, I was a bit worried my 3080 wouldn’t be enough for the crystal (will eventually upgrade but not for another year or so realistically) so the 3080 is totally viable imo.

Also had the local dimming turned off and on, looked amazing. Gotta run again, still trying other devices and going to talks!

4 Likes

Dear Pimaxian’s,

We apologize for the experience you had when trying out the Crystal headset.

Thank you very much for your feedback on the problems encountered during your real life tests. Your feedback has helped us to identify a key design flaw and correct it. Your participation in the roadshow has been a boon to us all.

Due to the visual acuity differences between people at the roadshows we found that our internal test samples are not comprehensive enough to completely cover all problems encountered by users. We at Pimax cherish the feedback from the roadshow as it allows us to better communicate with you and listen to your opinions on our products.

In order to address the focal plane issue we have performed some comparative verifications. Our R&D team quickly confirmed the source of the issue. In our original design, due to the excessive consideration of some people with basic myopia, and with the hope of ensuring visual acuity for people with normal vision, the distance from the crystal lens to the screen was reduced by 2mm compared with the standard. Next, we will adjust the height of the lens bracket to make it more suitable the average 20/20 vision. We are already correcting the length of the lens barrel to adjust the focal plane to the standard distance.

We will use temporary solutions to improve this problem during the remainder of the US and European roadshows.

Thank you again for your support.

Pimax crystal product team

14 Likes

So the resolution is alot higher on the crystal,or is this with parallel projection on?

thanks for the update, that’s great to hear!

2 Likes

You never render VR at the native display resolution really and fresnel vs Aspheric have different distortion profiles and therefore require different resolutions for the same effect (aspheric is lower typically) so it’s hard to compare them tbh.

I’ll ask about PP next time, later today probably.

1 Like

I was there with that user actually haha. I can confirm I found no issue but I am shortsighted so maybe I wouldn’t anyway, I tried with and without glasses and it seemed good to me. Basically I am now 100% set on getting a crystal and keeping my preorder for sure.

3 Likes

i always do…or higher…

We need someone with 20/20 vision to test the lens fix. Hopefully we’ll have some reports

6 Likes

Just read on discord that someone who had the issue tried it after Pimax made a temprorary fix and the issue was resolved for them. They removed the 2mm magnets that were on the lens for the roadshow unit. They will be implementing a permanent fix but it seems to be a relatively easy issue to resolve

8 Likes

A eye focal diopter what i suggested in the first place would have eliminated the problem in the first place,But its nice to see it will be fixed easily.

2 Likes

Cool that sounds hopeful!

Yeah, it’s a shame diopters aren’t a standard feature for HMDs over £600

2 Likes

What this also made me realize is that companies should just specify the focal distance parameter of a headset, like with all official specs. Also the XTAL made me realize that the binocular overlap should be specified. With the XTAL you can customize the overlap and to me it makes a big difference. Hopefully one day all this will be within the standard specs that companies advertise when publishing a headset.

3 Likes