Pimax distortion editing

You are awesome as always with your keen skills. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

5 Likes

this is super neat 20 characters

4 Likes

Yeah been looking for that :slight_smile: I found out that the exe loads a file ‘conf.json’ from the directory it’s in (if that file exists), so I copy/pasted the json data to a new file with that name and hoped it would work, it didn’t. It however did give an error in the output that minimum format_ver should be 3 (and it’s 2 as specified above). Then did some more digging and the exe also contains a table 3 version. It turns out that the different versions contain different data, the file won’t process all that lens data for example in version 3. So long story short, no it’s currently not possible to have this specific data in an external file I think.

BTW, if you wonder, this is the data that’s in version 3:

{
    "format_ver":3,
    "log":{
        "verbose":false
    },
    "openvr": {
        "pose_report_delay_ms":2
    },
    "render": {
        "target_size_type":"screen",
        "pixels_per_display_pixel_rate": 1.0
    },
    "hmds": [
    ],
    "ref_sensors": [
        {
            "name":"Pimax Ref A",
            "usb_vid":7967,
            "usb_pid":7967
        }
    ]
}

(so you could copy/paste this to a file conf.json and it will process it if you put it in the same dir as the pi_server.exe. However it’s not helpful for distortion adjustment)

2 Likes

If Pimax provide an open source code for anyone to make improvements that would be good. I haven’t checked the PI tool however, so maybe it is already.

2 Likes

Damn! :7 (19 NPCs and one PC)

@PimaxVR what’s your thoughts on open sourcing pitool so the community can help? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

As its to much of a positive move and would overall allow a greater headset for users… Pimax will never open source this.

Maybe try asking them to never open source it, old jedi trick

7 Likes

I’m glad to see the parameters are accessible. For those of us with an ipd outside the range of the Pimax, the general profile is probably going to need some work.

The more I think about it, the more crowd sourcing undististortion lens profile makes sense to me. Just wish it were as simple as using liquify in photoshop while waving the hmd.

3 Likes

Just do it like amd did in linux with it the proprietary bit supporting opensource extension to plug in

1 Like

@Sjef
How are these zones allocated to your view?
Like this??

Left to right?
Top to bottom?
Right to left?
Bottom to top?
Or some sort of grid?

4 Likes

Every last one of those parameters extracted should be able to be adjusted in real time while wearing the headset. This is exactly what I’m talking about as far as having advanced config settings. I’d rather have these at our disposal than not. Has pimax never heard of Bethesda? Let us have some real time control over this!

5 Likes

Is it something like this?

Edit: sorry I’m learning here. I think I need to know where the first point starts and that should also tell me where the last point ends.

I have no idea how to use a hex editor. Do I just open this change values and save?

3 Likes

If StarVR One can apply different distortion profiles depending on the eye-tracking data, then it should be possible to change the profile at run-time with Pimax too.

3 Likes

You could just have an application that simulates live editing. You could have a grid that deforms according to distortion settings and saves the data when exiting, without actually restarting the Pimax renderer.

1 Like

I would expect concentrically. Put the initial 1.0 at the centre of the lens (EDIT2: middle of the egg yolk) and rotate the curve around, like a profile that you cut on a lathe.

Another observation: The advantage of the Catmull-Rom equation is, from what I get, that the spline passes through all the points, unlike what you have with a regular simple bezier spline, so the values are absolute representations, that you can really nail down, once you have determined what they should be. (EDIT: What you can’t do, alas, is vary the width of each segment.)

4 Likes

@anon74848233 Has mentioned in another thread that they are looking at open source options, but we haven’t got anything concrete yet.
Any updates on that front mate?

1 Like

You really need to see it real-time how it behaves when you turn your head looking firward

Left eye looking at an masker grid, turn your head left to right you can see the behavior of the grid looks basically like this.

This is the left eye. I’d say about 50% of the left of your left eye.
If i had an easy to use application this would be a piece of cake to fix. I don’t get it. For all the complexity of what they’re doing, honestly this isn’t part of it.

22 Likes