Pimax Day Announcement Highlights

@SweViver
When will we know the discount and place our orders?

Will there be a tool to make life easier for backers?

thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks, I got that mixed up.

1 Like

Ok im not sure im followingā€¦
Did pimax cancel their promised stretch goals?

What are the backers receiving ?!

1 Like

The stretch goals have been modified. I think the only change is that the eyetracking module has turned out to be significantly more expensive than expected, because itā€™s a custom wide-FOV model. Because itā€™s so costly, Pimax feels that they need to charge an additional fee for it.

This doesnā€™t really affect me. I figured that a bonus freebee eyetracker wouldnā€™t be any good and I would be unlikely to actually use it.

2 Likes

Indeed as they still canā€™t answer if it can be used with glasses or frame inserts.

Truth appears to be over engineered for what is needed to track eyes.

2 Likes

If it sucks Iā€™m blaming you. :hugs:

2 Likes

Iā€™ll take whatever they give me for free. Valve index and base stations are already paid so Iā€™ll take those instead of their pimax designs. Iā€™ll take the audio strap and the cooling fans for sure.

1 Like

Valve index and base stations are not free you have to pay an additional $179.

6 Likes

No there is only one version, the slide vent over to pages :wink:

1 Like

Yes, there is a $179 uplift for the index controllers. Myself and a number of other backers are struggling to see why this is because the math doesnā€™t add up

I paid $200 for pimax controllers. Money they have.

Valve index controllers are retail $279

Therefore I owe $79 difference, not $179

Again, @PimaxUSA. What is this extra $100 for?

1 Like

Maybe the cost of some guy in Pimax office typing your address on the Valve order page?

ā€¦sorryā€¦

4 Likes

Iā€™m a bit confused. I backed 8k + 2 controllers + 2 base stations on KS. I got the 8k, but I have only used it once since I have no base stations or controllers. Itā€™s currently packed up in its box.

If I do nothing, will I receive some sort of base stations and controllers in the future, or will I have to pay an additional amount regardless of the option I choose?

At this point, Iā€™m thinking about selling my 8k and buying another consumer VR headset just so I can stop worrying about getting everything I backed. I hate car games, flight sims, and platformers, and I didnā€™t buy a HMD to sit at a desk and play on an xbox controller.

2 Likes

Eventually, you should receive your base stations and controllers, without paying anything more. However, it will be months before the Pimax controllers are available. Thatā€™s why Pimax is offering an alternative, so that people can get the full VR experience sooner.

Luckily, I do play seated games, so Iā€™m fairly happy with my 8K. I did buy a base station back in January, so that I can have 6 dof, even if I donā€™t play stand up games.

Itā€™s confirmed that the eye-tracking module and prescription lens adapter will NOT work together:

Source: https://community.openmr.ai/t/eye-tracking-and-lens-adapter-usable-together/22193/4

2 Likes

I havenā€™t heard a peep out of Pimax about them possibly using my design modifications. I actually did a double-take when I saw the ā€œController Upgrade Programā€ slide images for the Sword / Sword Sense controllers. That was the first I knew of it.

How many more months are we talking about for the base stations and controllers I backed?

This is really a sad state of affairs for a company I was hoping would really push the industry. Instead of getting some use out of my ~$800 device Iā€™m probably just going to get a Quest since they announced the cable addon.

I donā€™t even care anymore about increased field of view and resolution, as I still havenā€™t even been able to duplicate the stand up experience of my ~4 year old Oculus Rift CV1. At least with the Quest Iā€™ll continue to bring over my VR setup to friendsā€™ houses to show them what itā€™s like. Pimax really missed the boat here.

2 Likes

Youā€™re right, i donā€™t think FOV (with distortions!!) makes up for everything else.

Too long. Itā€™s been way too long.

However, they should not rush to release crappy controllers. That would lower their rep even more.

2 Likes

Controllers Mar or July of next year. LHes should start shipping next month.

Hey Helio can you add (X) to my name? Since Iā€™m an X backer. Thanks.

1 Like