Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

I’d go out on a limb, and posit that other than optionally offering useful support features, such as VRS, there is nothing special, that a graphics card, and its driver, would need to do, in order to work with VR headsets – they are not that different from any monitor.

3 Likes

HI

Thank tou very much :innocent::+1:t2::+1:t2:

Aplushhss

1 Like

Even though it will be working on AMD GPUs, doesn’t mean it will work well.

Let’s consider any limitations due to AMD Hardware and Software as compared to nVidia and let’s DARE PIMAX to detail out those points clearly to inform the consumer the current benefits / cons with either AMD or nVidia. Because, as we all know, there are some fundamental differences that very well will likely affect the user’s end experience on whether they go with AMD or nVidia.

1 Like

Well we know that the Original 8kX models work quite well with 90hz native on the 6900. But yes there are benefits and cons in both camps.

Companies with VR hardware only list minimum & recommended specs.

1 Like

Can Pimax show the Crystal Wifi6e working with Halflife Alyx so I can update the chart? @hammerhead_gal

3 Likes

I asked Pimax if the lenses are final - 3 days ago I got this response.

“Are the lens design now final?”
“No,there’s also a little work to do with the lens”

So imagine my surprise when I read Pimaxes Chart which now shows lenses as Hardware Ready.

Can Pimax update us on the Lens Status?

What have Pimax done to fix the eye strain pointed out by MRTV a few weeks ago? When you read todays announcement it looks like it’s full steam ahead. Did Pimax address the design flaw with the optics?

2 Likes

That was fixed the next day by adding an extra row of magnets to move the lenses out slightly further. I do wonder why that was needed in the first place, my guess is when adding in the new locking mechanism for the lenses (rather than just screws) that the distance got reduced slightly or something.

But yeah it seems to be an easy fix but you’d want it to be fixed at a factory level, as in some part of the plastic moulding itself is changed to account for that difference in distance. Not just a solution added on top, if you get me. That said, I’m guessing changing the plastic that holds the lenses themselves would be fairly trivial.

I’m guessing, as is often the case, the truth lands somewhere in the middle ha.

2 Likes

I agree i think the Pimax official list is…“off” i.e. they say wireless is ready yet has not been demonstrated. i think this new list is in part being formulated to counter your list. i think your list is coming from a sceptics viewpoint but it is the more accurate list imo.

afaik the lens focal point problem pointed out by MRTV i think was fixed at later roadshows because no one reported the issue and that included 1 person who originally spotted the issue.

2 Likes

Yeah the lens was a temporary fix for the shows but surely Pimax are not using this as a consumer level fix? Throw in some magnet spacers? Surely that would leave an air gap between the lens and the dust cover. I would be shocked if Pimax did that.

4 Likes

Proof is in the pudding. Let’s be wary of claimed completions and “we’re working on it”.

1 Like

A discrepancy might be due to a more completed model based on feedback has been made. But difficult to say.

If they push it out without necessary fixes and even say things onboard like ET without the software in place it does create doubts on whether they will be able to resolve it later. Much like our current Sense function in Sword or a better example Brainwarp Frame doubling.

1 Like

I like the idea of magnet spacers. So the proper way to do that is to provide thin plastic frames with magnet spacers built-in. This way there won’t be any dust and at the same time give us a way to easily adjust the diopter.

3 Likes

I do think Pimax needs some extra months to properly address the issues and concerns rose during the road-show. No product is perfect, yet ramming up the production before all those issues are properly handled, frankly is not a wise move. It’s much easier to fix things now, than fixing them after hundreds of headsets sold.

7 Likes

We’ll see if Pimaxes chart is ready at CES2023. I guess that’s when the real launch will be.

1 Like

Actually, making changes to plastics is some of the most expensive and time consuming effort in manufacturing. New board spins are much faster and cheaper than changes to plastics. This is why we see so much reuse of chassis in tech.

It’s all about the molds. Plastics have a very high initial cost but then the unit cost is very low. If you make a change which requires a new mold, then you’re paying that high initial cost all over again. Some small changes can be done by modifying the molds rather than creating new ones, and that lowers the cost of the change, but that has limited scope.

That’s no secret. @PimaxUSA said outright that Pimax would be making it own list because he felt that Atmos’s list was inaccurate and misleading.

The two lists are not actually about the same thing.

Pimax’s list is tracking whether Pimax’s engineering is done working on each feature from the perspective of being ready for release. This does not include whether that has been demonstrated to the public. There is lag between where engineering is at and what has been demonstrated.

Pimax’s list is also based on their current targets for product features which is not necessarily the same as what was initially announced. Pimax changes its feature targets as it works on its products. Features that they may have originally targeted get dropped, changed, or pushed to a future “some day” list. Pimax in general doesn’t seem to announce externally when this happens though there are some exceptions (such as when they announced that standalone mode was being pushed to future).

In total, Pimax’s list reflects what their engineering is actually working on and whether they currently assess that they are done with each line item. When their list is done, the Crystal will be shipped.

Atmos’s list, on the other hand, reflects where the Crystal is at in its development according to Atmos. This only includes what has been demonstrated to 3rd parties to Atmos’s satisfaction. It is presented relative to Atmos’s interpretation of anything Pimax has ever said about the Crystal. And it includes Atmos’s biases.

In particular, Atmos’s list has no bearing on whether Crystal ships or not in the real world. Years from now, long after the Crystal has shipped, and whether or not the Crystal is successful, Atmos’s list is still going to show the Crystal is not done because Pimax never did features they talked about at some point.

For better or worse, even before you consider the accuracy and honesty of these two lists, what they are tracking is related but different.

6 Likes

Not difficult to still have a seal. Fridge for one.

Lol, it’s makes no odds to me one way or the other. My bias has nothing to do with Pimaxes announced specs or what people reported at the roadshows.

If Pimax say Crystal is finished as their chart suggests then bang them out asap.

But if you take my list and see the cable listed and then look at Pimaxes list and see it missing is that down to my bias or my interpretation?

My chart is to reflect reality. I’ve asked questions in PM and told no I can’t see that or no that is not ready.

If Crystal has Wifi6e working, lenses with no eye strain, a cable with power and tracking that works as good as Pico4 then Pimax will be onto a winner and no one need worry.

So in 3 weeks we get to see who’s chart was closest.

2 Likes

I meant changing the plastic mould for the part holding the lenses is easier and trivial in comparison to the headset housing itself, but I guess it might not be much different.

1 Like

i’m a bit concerned the official list doesn’t mention the controllers whatsoever afaik. i won’t buy it without bundled ok controllers, i don’t really like knuckles.

1 Like

So if this list is supposed to have any objective value for a customer contemplating to (pre-)order a Crystal, it can only be based on hard facts, confirmed by un-biased users and not only based on Pimax marketing talk: is it there yet, or is it just being claimed by Pimax to be there and that may or may not be true.

I deliberately ignore the part where you suggest that we as customers need to anticipate which of the features Pimax announced are dropped silently by them while they continue to market their product based on the information & specs announced and subsequently detailed. This simply doesn‘t connect with my understanding of the general commercial rules of engagement between vendors and customers, and I wouldn‘t even know where to start to explain how awfully wrong such an approach would be. That would be right up there with alternative facts bs.