Pimax Crystal - status, updates and fixes (Part 1)

Index in £919 including taxes LH and controllers. I don’t think Index 2 will be much more than that.

I wouldn’t count on that. Plus not likely to see a new Valve hmd til late 2024 to mote likely late 2025.

2 Likes

I agree with Atmos, just because of the aggressive steam deck pricing subsidized by the store. I think Valve will try to keep the 1k price barrier in tact. Who knows though, they might even have different skus if the rumoured onboard SoC is a thing.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Quite possible. But in truth with so many VR HMDs out or coming out. Valve doesn’t really need to release a headset. Valve in all honesty imho released the Index due to LG bailing on them with Ultragear and there failed vr hmd dev kits not taking off.

With the Deck selling like hot cakes they don’t need to worry much on income. Every vr d that is not locked to a standalone xp makes Valve money.

Now I do see the Steamdeck 2 whenever that comes will likely have the ability to be used minimally as a brainbox for vr hmd or will offer detactable controllers like Portal for a vr insert idea.

Though am leaning on the brainbox idea with more likely a glasses idea luke the LG 360VR? thay released and faded quietly on the LG G5 Phone.

1 Like

Stoked to see @mixedrealityTV this enthused by the visual quality!

But really worried what he means claiming the HMD is still early in development :thinking:

2 Likes

I think Index 2 is just coming for themselves and not really for profit reasons, Valve have that kinda money to just fund what they want. Could be totally wrong though and just wishful thinking haha

2 Likes

“Gamechanger” Marketing video #99999. i’m so tired.

1 Like

Its not marketing , its true

aero clarity without distortions or CA and better colors could be game changer,if it works

“pre-order now” is his only message.

2 Likes

I really like Seb - but I would be featuring a collection of 90% of all VR headsets ever released if I had based my purchasing decisions on enthusiastic videos from him…

And it‘s not the final production version yet, so we can‘t tell if this is really featuring mass produced lenses, etc. etc. Once the headset is commercially available and people review those units, it makes sense to make your decision. I have seen weird things happen before with early versions with the 8K: when I tried the prototype at VR Days the E2E clarity was great, and when the final production versions appeared it wasn’t that great anymore, so I will be patient and careful.

5 Likes

I’m not sure Seb comparing £1000 PSVR2 and PS5 to a £5000 Crystal and 4090 rig is a good idea. Lol

3 Likes

I don’t see the point personally, they are different categories and target market for the most part. You don’t compare a Ferrari to a Kia for a reason. Doesn’t mean the kia isn’t vastly better value for money, easier to drive, has additional features specifically for that market etc.

2 Likes

psvr 2 still wins with colors and hdr xD But I am super excited getting the crystal since I dont have my aero

2 Likes

Where is the problem, he is trying to make the comparison clear to the users.

Furthermore, you compare here every day the business- with economy class. ^^

Given the emphasis Pimax has given on promoting the visuals and the state at which Seb reports same, it would seem the lenses are what they were shooting for. Unless you have specific info of a pending lens change I can’t see that unless they feel they can improve even more.
As for comparing visuals with PVSR, I felt it was fair to offer a comparison as it’s a current tech, if only to compare visuals. Not concerned it’s a different platform. Still of interest from that perspective.

1 Like

Well I came up with the RoS scale for this very reason. PSVR has a RoS of 100 compared to Crystal on 20, when you take everything into consideration.

Even now in mid March we don’t have any reports on wireless, stand-alone, streaming or a shipping date apart from Testers in April if it happens. Wide FOV lenses are now only just being talked about.

Sebs next video will be an eye opener I’m sure.

1 Like

Yeah, we need the same game running side by side.

No doubt 2880x2880 aspheric lenses and a 4090 make the difference but 5x the difference? Maybe if clarity over price is the priority Crystal makes sense. As a profitable sustainable business model goes £1800 and a niche PC it is not. But let’s go another 3 years and wait for the next round of sell offs because it’s guaranteed.

1 Like

to answer such questions was indeed his goal of the trip. the first episode of the series disappointed me a lot.

3 Likes