Pimax Crystal Launch Event tonight!

very confusing lol i tought i was going crazy

2 Likes

Going to be interesting to find out how well their new lenses work. Just skipped a bit through the video, if I understand correctly he somehow claims that aspheric lenses have less distortion. This makes no sense at all. The whole reason Fresnel exists is that aspheric has MORE distortion. Fresnel was invented to solve the aspheric distortion. Not sure how well this will work, but I guess some day in the future we’ll get to read user reports …

2 Likes

Though iirc Omnicept? Also had interchangeable lenses. But not really a consumer and may have been discontinued.

2 Likes

my real question is will it have CANTED DISPLAYS? no more PP maybe?

2 Likes

All these details will be revealed in the upcoming hands-on videos :slight_smile: @carnathsmecher

12 Likes

Not sure but do know they mentioned glass lenses with coatings vs poly lenses.

1 Like

Ah thx ok that clears that 1 up. Like u said it’d need measuring but i bet it won’t be far off. I’m impressed by the specs, i love high ppd with my aero and 42 is a step up again. Ive been stung my pimax build quality before though so im trying not to get too excited.

1 Like

tykey6 Like Tesla, we do improve all the time, I wouldn’t worry too much this time :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah i was like i just saw 140,and then you said 120 lol and i saw the 120 i was like am i blind or what?anyway im sure it will be a few degrees less like with every headset ever.

Using interchangeable lenses, we might even go further later on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah at this price point they immediately compete with the Varjo Aero which is really well engineered. I do have my doubt that Pimax is up to competing at that level. But I guess some day when this gets released we’ll find out

4 Likes

sweet good to know

Seems like the resolution and FOV for the Pimax Reality 12K are both much higher, with the Pimax Reality specified at the more interesting 5760x3240 resolution (if that’s accurate) rather than 2880x2880 resolution.

For my next VR headset, I’m looking for enough of a leap to use it at least very nearly ‘full time’. So, at least a little more FOV than ‘Normal’ with the Pimax Vision 8kx, and a substantial boost in resolution/optics too.

I also hope I don’t have to trade passthrough cameras for Lighthouse tracking, would like to get both. Stumbling around the room to find my chair has always been rather inconvenient.

Anyway though, thanks for announcing this stuff. Looks like all the hardware is amazing.

6 Likes

@VRGIMP27 will be happy aa he was tge one that suggested interchangeable lenses for FoV changes prior and during the KS.

1 Like

i mean the last shot was a direct price and package comparision to literally aero

1 Like

With interchangeable FoV lenses should make that more of a “reality”.

1 Like

The aero has great comfort. Their panels have about 0 mura. Their lenses have my eyes completely relaxed, just like in the real world. Not saying the headset is perfect, there’s still room for improvement. But I somehow highly doubt Pimax is able to bring such quality. It would mean they really made some huge progress. Not impossible but I’m pretty skeptical.

4 Likes

Gonna need a 4090 to power 42ppd imo, my aero just about gets by at 35ppd with an overclocked 3080ti at 119 diagonal fov. Edit: and thats with eye tracked foveated rendering.

4 Likes

Well rumour has it we won’t have to wait too long for that anyway :slight_smile: But yeah, definitely need 4090 for this.

ive read about enough issues with the aero too,no headset is perfect anyway this isnt even launched so its pointless to compare them now lol

1 Like