Pimax Crystal Launch Event Invitation

Wish you all the best but I’ll get more excited when reviewers have them in hand vs pimax announcements. Track record is simply not favorable here.

5 Likes

We’re a month away from Q3. You promised us to demo the device half a year ago. So no, not getting my hopes up. It just doesn’t look good again. So not getting excited at all.

4 Likes

Still would like to see more insight into the manufacturing that is being aligned for production of the 12k. I feel like the folks at YAW motion sims did a great job…their project was heavily delayed, but since people could see the production being setup it became clear that the product was still on the way and not a flop or vaporware. Reputation aside: remember people are 5 x more likely to post negative opinions than positive.

1 Like

On the bright side of that if you see positive/negative anywhere near 1:1 its an overwhelming success.

We have been working on these devices a long time and we will definitely be showing some peeks into the production process. There is a lot to show related to that aspect of it.

1 Like

Lots of time remains available for that and once we start sharing production photos, hands on with reviewers etc. you (might) feel better about it. We shall see.

1 Like

Looking forward to the event.

1 Like

Will the new pimax have HDR capability?

1 Like

Yes it does indeed. Both Crystal and 12K include the new HDR algorithm.

3 Likes

not clear if the resolution of the single panel (per eye) is 5760x2880 or 2880x2880

The latter.

2 Likes

Actually, it could be done, using the same method as the Crystal, hardware reducing fov for increasing apparent resolution.
Since the Crystal have smaller panels so smaller pixels, it would not match the clarity of the Crystal but would be a very nice upgrade for the 8kX.
And 8k’s series lenses are not hard to remove…because yes it could be done for every actual hmd.

1 Like

Any plans to make the 12K QLED lenses interchangeable as well? I would be very happy to bring it close to 60 PPD with 160-170 degrees of FOV

1 Like

The headsets are essentially the same. Differences are panel, backlight and base fov. So other features are for both.

Is that a yes? So crystal lenses also for 12K ?

1 Like

The panels are different so you cannot exchange lenses between headsets. Each headset will have it’s own special lenses.

2 Likes

Of course I wasn’t planning to use Crystal’s lenses on 12K, but I was wondering if 12K will also come out with more than one set (For PPD lovers like me)

…and also if the 12K ones will be polycarbonate or crystal

2 Likes

When will we get details on how exactly the 12k changes between using the various lenses?

1 Like

It would be VERY helpful if there was eventually a chart that compared the FOV and PPD of the various new HMDs with each lens combination available, along with the existing line. I’m left without a complete understanding of whether the Crystal will be the same FOV as the current 8K-X in Wide mode, or not, and what the PPD of the 12K will be, etc. There were several graphs in the presentation, but some things seemed a bit vague to me, so a clear, concise chart would be best - especially since Pimax seems to be adopting the horizontal FOV that the rest of the industry uses instead of the old Pimax method of diagonal FOV. (BTW, I think the entire industry should use diagonal FOV; it just makes the most sense to me.)

Also, I’m not especially fond of the presenter or the presentation itself. If Pimax is positioning itself as a premium quality VR company, the presentation should NOT feel like something from a pyramid-scheme company or a used-car outlet. Look to Apple or Porsche materials in particular for how to present new technologies in an exciting yet extremely professional way.

1 Like

The Crystal (with 35PPD lenses) will have an FOV in the vicinity of the “small” FOV mode of the 8KX.

The 12K will have 35PPD with 200 degree HFOV.

The Crystal will have options for 35PPD with 125 degree HFOV or 42PPD with 110 degree HFOV.

I strongly disagree with this. Diagonal FOV makes no sense whatsoever in the context of VR headsets. In rectangular TV/computer monitors, diagonals from corner to corner were the largest dimension. In VR headsets, you can not see the corners of the displays. They are not and can not be used. So you’re measuring a bogus dimension that the user can’t see.

Horizontal FOV is the widest dimension in VR headsets and should be the standard for measurement.

4 Likes