Pimax COO, from China, solicited me in an email. Anyone else?

Well, if anybody is feeling uncomfortably singled out, that can easily be alleviated by reading the mailing list unsubscribe instructions at the bottom… :9

As for calling oneself by strange nicknames, I have quite long been wondering whether we are seeing Pimax officials using literal translations of their Chinese names, producing to-us odd-sounding things like: “Nordic”. -Maybe we are rather dealing with individuals actually named things like: “Bei”, or: “Long”…(?)

Indeed you are & very stable and that is what pimax needs more of stability. With ppl staying long term.

1 Like

I do as well.

Has that been publically released yet or still maybe only the Sim Edition?

If he is as hands on he should know:

1. Not Big FoV simply Wider FoV Lenses that more aligns with what they said the standard 35ppd lenses were supposed to meet in terms of FoV.
  2. Still unreleased if not mistaken. :picardfp:

Or, they can break out the pop corn and ju jubes and proceed to read on with sarcastic filter firmly locked and loaded lol.

My answers? Well, ask your COO I would suggest… :wink:

4 Likes

Oh I just spotter this. :slightly_frowning_face:

Esther

I wish you well in your future endeavours.

1 Like

He’s still at Pimax. Well on paper anyway, lol.

He still lists himself as “My current position is COO and company spokesperson for Pimax VR.” Kind of funny as Josh has taken this roll as Director of Global Communications.

He can hardly call himself COO of PimaxVR as they’re based in China and he’s based in Florida. So what does Kevin do at Pimax exactly? It’s anyones guess.

Kevin on Linked In

I didn’t answer the question of why certain people like my self had not purchased a Crystal but did point him to the myriad of feedback sources such as YT and his own forum where i and others have spoken to this.

If we all wanted the same thing there would be only one thing.

3 Likes

innovation from one source only is stagnation globally :grin:

I guess the role of COO is split up at Pimax: they have a local COO in Shanghai (who also was traveling with the Pimax team when I visited the Crystal road show at MRTV‘s place last year). Kevin‘s role is a bit of a mystery, as R&D and production presumably is still being managed from China, I did not get the impression at any point in time that the US or European team (Marcin) had any leading role in any of the two areas. Nor really in terms of business decisions, as their occasional lapses in their marketing events showed when they had to check what exactly was part of the offering, etc. So I would guess Marcin & Kevin are rather busy with product testing, so Kevin would be a kind of a Quality Assurance COO.
In any case I think it was a sound decision to pull Kevin out of the publicity/PR job - insulting, lying & deleting old posts claiming he never posted them, etc. happened repeatedly, meaning he couldn‘t handle the pressure and his strengths will lie elsewhere. In comparison, Josh is doing a better job. And I even count being silent when there is nothing of substance to communicate to be a professional approach, so if we hear little from Josh these days, it probably is for good reasons,

3 Likes

His Title was Head of NA Operations not global communications.

My current position is COO and company spokesperson for Pimax VR

But he himself states…”My current position is COO and company spokesperson for Pimax VR” Saying Company spokes person means he speaks for the whole of the Pimax company, does it not? On the other hand if it stated COO and spokes person for Pimax USA then no problem. Kevin is not representing the truth is he? Probably how he got the job at Pimax is the first place lol.

I think Pimax still need a propper COO and CTO to direct Pimax to produce a more desirable product.

Pimax’s pulling much of the operation back to China during the time of cracking housings changed who may have been Chief of operations. Titles are a dime a dozen.
As a operations manager myself I have been hired only to be kept from doing the job I was hired to do. Once that happens if you stay around you are a spokesperson. :grinning:

2 Likes

He keeps the company bicycle fleet wheels in tip top shape.

You forget pimax’s many hats. Kevin was sent where ever they needed an english native speaker. Later they added Marcin who was prior a media YT. Now they have hired Josh who has a strong background as a public spokes person.

Pimax COO and CTO positions as @dogbite pointed out only works well if a company lets there position function with the power required. Robin?(pimax) shutdown NA support when it clearly doing a great job improving the customer support experience and clearing tickets faster. Had they followed the original plan and worked on implementing the eu support center. The support system would not still be piss poor. Pimax still only has 4 CS ppl in China and wonders why they have understandably a fair number of upset customers.

1 Like

Yes changing Kevin for Josh has been a good decision. I’m sure Kevin has some strengths but marketing didn’t really seem to be a great fit, like explained by @Axacuatl above. Josh on the other hand does a great job

4 Likes

As long as he doeen’t burn out. I have observed some signs different things are getting to him. But will not go into detail.

1 Like

Getting back to the OP, Pimax has 5 options going forward.

1, Keep Crystal as it is but keep questioning why people don’t like it.
2. Get real and realise the size, weight and general saleability is not what 99% of VR enthusiast want.
3. Release the 12k in a moderately finished state and hope it appeals to a lot more people.
4. Completely redesign Crystal and eliminate all its short coming which would need more time and investment as the shell and chassis would be radically different to the 12k.
5. Create a new HMD altogether. A HMD that takes all the strengths of Crystal and the 12k but with a reduced form factor and 140FOV, eye tracking, wireless streaming all powered by a waste belt battery that’s detachable when wired for PCVR gaming.

For me Crystal is too big, the 12k is going to be too hard to run on even a 4090 and by the end of next year Pico 5 Max will be beating Crystal on every level according the the leaked chart and Hypervision headsets will be knocking on the door.

But let’s see what HTC brings to CES2024.

3 Likes

Although it’s too late for Pimax to turn the redesign ship around now, imo they should have taken door number 5, before committing long term to a breadbox on your head. They have a history of slow iteration and sticking stubbornly to brand design (like most I suppose) but they chose too niche a design, so for them to take core components from the 12k and downsize the form factor to better suit the average consumer seems an impossible wishlist as we move into 2024/25 where compact design is the logical vector.

Even if the FOV was only 140/130 degrees that would still be a killer headset, as long as distortion was eliminated and edge to edge clarity prevailed. Looking through the lenses of the Q3 is “crystal clear” and so relaxing on the eyes, and that’s with a 700CAD headset. More people will want to wear it longer even at “only” 110 degrees, which to me does not feel restrictive at all. Funny how I thought I could never go back. Then factor in MR, AR, color passthrough with roomscale freedom and you have a mass-appeal design that Pimax should have seen coming much sooner.

2 Likes