Pimax Amazon EU will be Launched at 18:00 cest on 5th June 2019

An accurate replica of what Oculus did in 2016 :wink:

4 Likes

Strange! Since so many have this problem. When did you receive your headset? I also use the DAS mod, but doesn’t tighten it that hard. You must have been lucky :s either way the casing is obviously too fragile for it to crack for so many peeps

are we supposed to get a confirmation after sending the mail to claim the xbox controller? because I didn’t and just want to be sure that pimax got my mail :smiley:

Edit: Nevermind now I got a confirmation. Thanks!

Since mid march :wink:

This… people have short memories. I’ve been shouted down for saying it before, but there’s nothing remarkable about Pimax’s launch woes amongst VR startups.

Oculus launched the CV1 at just under 3x the price they said it’d be “pointless” to sell it at (I paid ~US$1,300 after tax and shipping for my CV1, which Palmer had fawned about being a $500 product not 6 months earlier).

A huge amount of headsets were dead on arrival (mine - which shipped 3 months behind schedule after a first-day preorder - had to be RMA’d due to overheating causing me facial burns in just one 30 minute play session. RMA took another month.).

They had massive software issues - panel miscalibration caused one or both eyes to be heavily red-tinged. Hidden software tricks were discovered to manually recalibrate panels, but staff made vague threats about using them potentially voiding warranty or destroying the headsets.

A ton of headsets had earphone defects, lens defects, panel defects, or assembly defects (incorrectly attached ribbon cable), which necessitated all stock being re-QA’d, furthering delays. Faulty AV cables were a common occurance, with limited stock hampering replacements (sound familiar???)

Packing issues were common, and many people received their kits missing components like cables, the remote, or the bundled xbox controller.

There was a recurring theme of people RMAing for one issue, only to receive a headset that had another. I was terrified that my forehead-burning headset would be replaced with a red-eye headset. The sentiment in the subreddit was that Oculus was just passing broken headsets around either to buy time, or in the hope that the new owner would just deal with the issue that the previous owner couldn’t.

Hand controllers were not available at launch, and had to be bought separately - along with another tracking sensor, which overloaded USB bandwidth on many systems - about a year later.

Then the failures started. Every single CV1 will eventually lose audio in one ear. The designer has owned up to that. Twice, Oculus has remote-bricked every single CV1 with a forced update on a Friday evening. Their janky answer to Steam consumes massive system resources and doesn’t play nice with other VR hardware.

In the end, I paid 1.5x for what I paid for the p5k+ to receive a headset that ended up being replaced via RMA twice in three years. And the best they could come up with as a successor is an industry-trailing rebadged WMR headset.

Yet somehow, Oculus is the gold standard for ease of use, reliability, solid construction, software support, innovation, etc.

It sounds awful like Facebook just focuses a lot more of their efforts on discourse control than R&D, to me :wink:

5 Likes

Another reason why Pimax should lower the price…

price is ok, if you receive everything, but for instance, at best you receive only the helmet.
if you have to go for the full package by yourself, you have to spend $100 more for the DAS from Vives (that is great), add $300-$400 to get a paire of bases stations and controllers or you need to wait (how long ?) with a $700 device that cannot run better than a $300 one.
here is the problem.
But i would not trade my 5K+ for something else and i would be ok to pay $1000 and even more for the full pack. (that is actually what i have done in fact…)

1 Like

@SweViver @anon74848233
I noticed on amazon.de page that Pimax claims “1-Jahr Garantie” (i.e. 1 year warranty). I believe this is directly against EU legislation. As long as the goods is sold in EU it must come with 2-year warranty. The seller cannot waive that. I suggest you make sure your claims are accurate.

You should also make sure you understand how GDPR works, because now the headset is also subject to the GDPR law. So any “unsolicited” data collection, which is not directly related to the functioning of the product must be opt-in, data otherwise collected must be stored in EU, etc.

No unsolicited HTTP POSTs to some Chinese servers anymore.

3 Likes