Pimax 8KX with Eye Tracker, Vive DAS, original front cowling, VR n CHILL and USB-C hub

Complete. I am Just Glad they decided to release the original KS Advertised Audio solution.

3 Likes

Kept clean, thatā€™s ironic. I didnā€™t know VR n Chill was fans on your head I thought thereā€™d be some juicy piccies in here. I heard of netflix n chill after all.
On the topic, how good is the VR n Chill then? Does it feel worthwhile having it?

@Genesis must beleive so as he added this isnā€™t Vive accessory modded to use on his 8kX.

Yeah. Thinking about it the bigger the sunroof the greater the airflow

1 Like

Thank you Genesis for your excellent post. I have been using Vive DAS on my 5k+ from the beginning. From your post it looks like an easy transfer when I receive my 8KX.

3 Likes

Has anyone found if using the little headset mounted fans pictured adds to perceived realism in VR games, or would you literally need to hold a hand held fan in your face to feel the breeze?

I was thinking more along the lines of fooling your brain into thinking youā€™re outdoors in VR in certain scenarios rather than keeping you cool playing beat saber.

1 Like

I think you will need a much bigger fan, blowing over your arms and face (at a minimum) to get a genuine feel of breeze and motion.

Iā€™m thinking I may make a cooling mod for my 8KX. Iā€™m worried about the heat trapped by the comfort kitā€™s large face pad and the extra heat given off by the revised circuit board. Iā€™m thinking of carving channels in the foam (top and bottom) and having a fan exhaust the heat and perspiration (humidity) out the top. Assuming I like the results, Iā€™ll post my findings, but for now, Iā€™m just waiting for my 8KX to be shipped. (Hopefully this month.)

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. That sounds like an ambitious plan of yours too trying to embedd cooling, but if it worked would be pretty impressive.

Maybe we can start up a ā€˜modsā€™ section of the forum here or elsewhere and add this thread as the first 8K-X mod and hopefully many more in the future including your project.

2 Likes

This is the fan Iā€™m considering. Itā€™s designed to be powered by USB. One of the 5-star reviews shows that someone is using it to cool their Index. I think Iā€™ll get 2, because Iā€™m worried that 1 wonā€™t provide enough airflow. Also, if it works well, Iā€™ll probably paint it black. Iā€™m thinking of using Sugru to fashion any ducting and gap-filling which might be necessary.

2 Likes

Your going to duct tape case fans to your head? LOL

1 Like

Not quite. :slight_smile: These are 4cm fans. Iā€™m thinking of something like this, but reworked to deal with the comfort kitā€¦ [update] Actually, I decided to just go ahead and buy this unit.

https://www.vrnchill.com/

1 Like

I thought about these as there dirt cheap, and printing My own mount.
Small fans = more noise, bigger less noise :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I always thought the only affective way to cool the headset would be to move air through it and not just blow air on it.

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to ā€œjust blow air on itā€. Iā€™m planning to move air upwards across my face and forehead, through channels cut in the face-pad, as mentioned earlierā€¦

I play in a darkened room, so the channels wonā€™t be a problem. I know this for certain, since Iā€™ve actually cut channels in the foam of my 8K, but thereā€™s no fan. I think fans will be very helpful with the comfort kit, which has more foam area. Plus, apparently, the 8KX runs a bit hotter than my 8K.

3 Likes

Cooling your forehead should draw heat from your face, for equilibrium, and because heat tends to rise. Much of this should occur through our existing circulatory system, since cooling the forehead of course inherently cools the blood in any vessels up there, shedding excess heat instead of letting it accumulate (EDIT: ā€¦with each circulation).

Somebody who knows a bit about the cardiovascular system might put their expertise to use figuring out whether there exists any good spot to apply a bit of cooling on the artery side, before their blood reaches the face. :7

1 Like

on the neck behind the ear lobes.

people put perfume in that spot because there is an artery close to the surface which means it is very warm. alcohol evaporates very quickly there and spreads the scent efficiently.

3 Likes

Ok, could be worth experimenting with a pair of chilled rags held there, then, and see whether that does anything - opportunity will supposedly serve me a fairly hot weekend here. :7

2 Likes

lick your finger and rub it there - thereā€™s an immediate cooling effect

2 Likes

Promising! Letā€™s see whether it can keep an enclosed face dry and comfortable, without causing any other parts of the head to become too cool, or any unpleasant temperature differentials. :7

1 Like

Hi can you add this to thingiverse

and also link it here
https://community.openmr.ai/c/ACCESSORIES/Mods3dprinters/61

2 Likes