Pimax 8KX with Eye Tracker, Vive DAS, original front cowling, VR n CHILL and USB-C hub

I just recently got my Pimax 8KX set up running with various modifications and I thought I would document some of my findings here in case it was useful for anyone else.

End Result

Unboxing the Pimax 8KX

Unboxing and installing the eye tracking module on an Pimax 8KX with original rubber front cowling used from a Pimax 8K

Designing a new Vive DAS adapter that supports the eye tracking module, installing the VR n CHILL fan modules and USB-C hub

Parts List
1x Pimax 8K or 5K+ Rubber Front Cowling
1x Pimax / 7invenson Droolon Pi1 Eye Tracking Module
1x Sitecom CN-388 USB Hub 4 Port | USB 3.1 Male to 4x USB-C 3.1 Female Ports
2x Maxhood (2-Pack) 90 Degree USB C Type C Male to Female Adapter
1x USB C to USB 3.1 Adapter - USB C Male to USB Female
1x VR n CHILL
1x HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap
1x VR Cover for HTC Vive
1x VR Cover for HTC Vive Deluxe Audio Strap (Thick 20mm)

Eye Tracker Compatible DAS Adapter
Download

Credit for the original design goes to Drcube

25 Likes

Do you prefer Vive DAS to SMAS? Any particular reasons? Please elaborate more on this.

3 Likes

I definitely prefer the Vive DAS over the SMAS.

The speakers on the SMAS sound awful (think like turning an AM radio on in the background), don’t isolate you at all from outside audio, and blast audio into the open environment.

The MAS headstrap itself feels cheap in build quality and does not hold the headset securely enough on my head without the headset shifting out of the sweet spot when I turn my head even slightly during use, no matter how far up or down my head the headstrap is positioned, or how much I can tighten the headstrap. The instability is due to a huge gap between the side of my head and the side of the headstrap which is large enough for me to stick my whole hand through, so it has no support at all from the sides to keep the headset secured. With that aside, the headstrap doesn’t even feel more comfortable compared to the Vive DAS with all of its added complexity.

I was excited to eventually buy the KDMAS later after backers received theirs since I opted out of stretchgoals, however after trying out the SMAS I have no plans to get the KDMAS now.

24 Likes

What do you think about everything else? Resolution, clarity, colors, brightness, any distortions or optical imperfections, etc?

8 Likes

i use this (i have the same problem like you)
Pimax OG face by Darkdir - Thingiverse (my creation :wink: )

4 Likes

Awesome Review! Congrats!

2 Likes

This concerns me as getting a secure fit is exactly the reason I have been waiting so long for a MAS and the lack of one has made 5k+ very difficult to use, except for short periods and with constant readjustment. A total dampener on the entire VR experience.

@PimaxUSA @SweViver could it be possible to create thicker MAS foam side padding if there is enough demand for such things? Just curious.

2 Likes

It’s just a shame. And I don’t expect the “Deluxe” version to be much better.
If on top of that the eye tracker gives reflections and you notice the parts with less quality, it’s really going to be very bad.

1 Like

Thanks for your post on the suggested improvements.

Out of curiosity, have you ever tried the vive pro?
I’ve previously owned both the vive das & vive pro & I preferred the pro headstrap.
I was hoping the pimax strap was a clone of that.
So I guess it’s either possible that style of strap is not as good for your head or otherwise it looks like they failed to copy well enough & cheaped out on materials.
Or maybe due to the strap being wider where it connects to the headset, it just needs thicker padding to bring it in.
I know its not good for you but I hope the former is correct as I have high hopes for the strap.

The poor audio quality is by now unfortunately no surprise.
I really hope pimax pull those crappy speakers out asap & make better standard ones.
Imo they are just hurting their company name YET AGAIN with them as it’s now becoming common knowledge the pimax standard audio is bottom end in the market. sigh…

3 Likes

@Genesis
Also when you said feels cheap in build quality, can you elaborate a little more please If you don’t mind?
Rather than just fit, does the foam feel cheap?, or the plastic?, or the mechanisms?

1 Like

All of the foams are replaceable and on the side we actually used a much thicker foam for a while. The super thick sides didn’t work for any of us though but it’s made where you can redesign the whole foam arrangement.

On the audio the DMAS is definitely the king. It’s quite mind blowing.

23 posts were split to a new topic: Original SMAS Quality Topic

16 posts were merged into an existing topic: Original SMAS Quality Topic

Right OK. I can’t make any judgement on fit until I try the MAS for myself, which I hope is not too long away now. I didn’t have a problem with the headband unit on the Lenovo so I hope this will fit the same.

I never got proper use out of the 5k+ because of the poor fit of the cloth strap.

1 Like

It was also what I though, just look at Linus Tech Vive Pro review he hates that strap so much, due to others reviews I didn’t buy a vive pro for 2 years, but it one of my faivourites hmds now & I don’t find pro strap not secure at all, it’s very comfortable I even played echo arena with it without issues. Maybe on Pimax it’s a different story due to need to have ideal aligment but many other reviewers o f 8KX were satisfied by this strap so it’s highly subjective matter I guess.

2 Likes

It’s not hard to add a few strips of padding with a couple of velcro ties to either side of the head strap if your blessed with a small head , doesn’t have to look bad either

Everyone is making valid points for and against past comments on audio quality of the SMAS, however with 3 audio options soon to appear and only 1 received with a luke warm reception, it’s likely Pimax users will be satisfied in the future with DAS and backers with their ‘free’ KDMAS.

Now everyone’s aired their grievances can we please keep the thread on topic and focus on Genesis’s informative post detailing a quite ingenious modification to the MAS with fans?

For those unaware if you click on the photos linked there are written descriptions under each modification which are really useful.

Well done and thank you to Genesis for this great mod which is a positive thing to discuss and makes using the 8K-X even more interesting.

Hopefully people have some questions about and opinions on what Genesis has kindly shared with us, as this looks like a potentially great thread to discuss this modification to maximise the realism/comfort in VR.

11 Likes

What genesis made is awesome. It’s great that he posted his final product here. All he has done should be in a final product from a company that build VR hmd.
Edit: a long time ago

5 Likes

Can mods please split the thread so we can discuss Genesis’s mod for 8K-X here and discuss other valid points about the development of SMAS and KDMAS in a separate thread?

The title of this thread is Tracker, Vive DAS, original front cowling, VR n CHILL and USB-C hub

Thank you.

6 Likes

@Heliosurge
please be so kind and split this thread :sunglasses: (I would do it myself, but don’t know how - yet)

3 Likes