Pimax 8KX price estimate? $999? $1399 with controllers and LHs?

because it is the best…
best FOV, good picture, low or non screendoor effect.
you can take any other commercial helmet and a few are better here and there, but overall, none has really an advantage.
the only problem for instance is the availability of the accessories.
But probably if you buy another brand with same equipement (deluxe headstrap, base station , controller etc…) you will end up in the same price.

2 Likes

I don’t have a Pimax, but if it’s the best, why I don’t have this feeling? People selling their Pimax for much less than the official price just few month after purchase, lot of people in this forum complaining about for different reasons (and going back to their old headsets), … Yes, some people are happy but few ones really enthusiastic. The overall impression I have (from one of the forum topics) is that the headset is “okayish”.

This is not enough for the most expensive consumer headset of the market (if you add headstrap + base stations + controllers, it’s more expensive than the Index full kit). Once the few people that are focussed on FOV have bought it… who else will pay so much for this headset?

I suppose that Pimax people think as you. That they have the best headset and people will buy it even with current failures. Well… I just have a different feeling.

3 Likes

Seriously? You’ve just answered your question.

There is always a minority who would complain about anything, but I really don’t understand people going back from Pimax. The FOV and clarity combination is just simply too good to give up.

6 Likes

OK, thanks for clarifying. I see now that I was wrong. If I had a Pimax it will not be possible to say it’s just okay. Then it means that all people that complain and sell their Pimax are just bots or dummies. I should only keep the positive reviews and not try to make an average to get an opinion.
Thanks… Much easier like this :+1:

But please, let’s go back to the price discussion. If you think the full 8K-X package can be 1500$ or more, just say it and justify your opinion. All opinions count :wink:

1 Like

The price of the 8K was an introductory offer. The 5k was a cheaper alternative then when the 5K+ was introduced this just muddied the waters. The Vive Pro headset is/was approx. £800 and comparing that to the 8K to me has about the same resolution but the 8K obviously has a much better FOV. You could argue the contrast/colour saturation is better on the Vive but when you’re sat in a car going round a circuit and being able to see the door mirrors I’d much prefer the panoramic view.

After the long delay and having owned a 4K, Vive, Vive Pro I have to say I’m very happy with the resolution, setup and general usage of the 8K.

Surely the price of the 8KX will be determined by what Pimax think people are prepared to pay for it.

I obviously want one so it should be in the low hundreds :grinning:

4 Likes

you do not have a feeling that pimax is the best because , yes, it is hard to get it work as it should , since half of the setup is still missing. It should not have been like that, but currently that’s the way it is.
But for those who spend the extra money to complete the full room installation, it is hard to say that it is not darn pretty good.
And if you count the price of the headset and probably the price of the PC with high end graphic card, the 400ish dollars to add is pretty negligible in regards of what you finally get.

2 Likes

Right. I’ve spent quite a lot of money for 1 specific game: Elite Dangerous.

In the last few years, I’ve bought a new gaming PC with all the trimings: i7 8770K, 32GB o/c’ed ram, factory o/c’ed RTX 2080, HOTAS, chair mounts for the HOTAS (more expensive that the HOTAS itself!), etc. My 8K was a bargain, considering the enjoyment it’s brought me. Yes, a bargain; it cost less than my 4K monitor, which (duh) only has a single, albeit much larger, screen.

3 Likes

Realistically, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see the headset cost 1200-1300$ alone. I mean, think realistically here. You have a headset with two 4k RGB displays. If they’re normal RGB stripe, they could be very expensive. Not to mention you have the new analogix chip in there. Hopefully though, they can manage to keep the price down. Perhaps even drop the original 8k price, or discontinue it completely and change the 8k to the 8k X. The 8k will become quite pointless after the 8k X comes out. The main purpose of the 8k right now is to have low SDE. If the 8k X has even lower SDE, and it looks sharper, the 8k’s only true upside will be a cheaper price.

3 Likes

Realistically, I won’t be upgrading from my 8K for a few years. I’m sure the price for an 8KX will have dropped by the time I buy a replacement. I do look forward to something even better, but this Kickstarter has a lesson in patience. :slight_smile:

3 Likes