Pimax 8KX (model 2075) doesn't work with 7900XTX

Given the fact that a lot of reviewers are using AMD tech while reviewing, I think you are good to go.

FYI; the radiator ones hardly perform better than the aircooled ones. If you ask me its not worth the extra money.

It’s a matter of not having the space on my MB to sacrifice the PCI slot that’d be covered by the sheer size of an air-cooled 4090. I don’t have a choice due to my system configuration. Game drive is running off that port with two nVme’s in an overkill raid 0 using direct lanes to the CPU. There’s no other way around it. So the Suprim is kinda my only choice. Unless I rip off that huge hunk of metal and go with a water cooling block. Too much effort.

Just bought a 7900 XTX and wow, 6 whole months after the card’s release and I’m experiencing the exact same problems that people in December wrote. Amazing.

You can see how AMD doesn’t care about the VR community.

I wish you all the best with your AMD purchase. I have a 6900XT.
It’s done the job. But that’s all I can say.
In monitoring what’s been going on with the 7000 series and in particular 7900, It seems that AMD has been having a hard time writing solid drivers for this series and it’s been a rollercoaster.
I’m really considering on just plopping down for a 4090 when I find a decent enough deal and switching back to nVidia. my 1080ti still sits next to me ready to be a backup! haha

1 Like

Guys I’ve figured out a hacky but simple solution for making the 2075 8kx work with the 7900 xtx :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’ve written it here: reddit link but I’ll repeat it for convenience:

tested with my 2075 model, v1.12 pimax play app (Pimax Client v1.12), a fresh install of Windows 11, latest amd driver
I flew around in VTOL VR and the experience was flawless.

how to consistently start up your pimax 8kx with a 7900xtx

1. at the default 90hz setting, when you launch the pimax app, the hmd displays wont power on, just stay completely black

2. go to the “device settings” menu and set the refresh rate to something other than 90hz, aka 75 or 60

3. when you do this, the amd driver will crash and you wont be able to open the “device settings” menu again

4. shut down the pimax app (in the desktop tray right click the pimax icon and click exit, just X-ing the app window wont shut it down)

5. unplug the usb power cable (the thick one, the thinner usb cable and the dp cable can stay plugged in at all times)

6. go to the “device settings” menu again, at this point its empty and says “device disconnected”

7. plug the power cable back in

8. wait until the options in the “device settings” menu come back

9. click on the 90hz option

10. the hmd restarts, the displays turn on and should work until you exit the pimax app again

11. rinse and repeat the next time you want to play

12. (optional) go and buy an usb hub with a power switch and an usb extension cable so you can plug the power cable in the front of the pc, and with the power switch you save the trouble of having to plug/unplug the cable a million times and make the connection loose

3 Likes

Thank you for the helpful tip!

It might be even more beneficial if you could repost it on Reddit/Discord. This way, our users won’t miss out on it while browsing, since searching through comment sections can be challenging.

Hi, I’ve made a post on the pimax reddit.
How to make the Pimax 8KX (2075) work with a 7900XTX : Pimax (reddit.com)
Also made a video about it: How to make the Pimax 8KX (2075) work with a 7900XTX - YouTube
Discord post: Discord

1 Like

Congrats on finding a workaround perhaps the devs could glean some insight into this issue from the information you provided as to what the intrinsic problem is and apply their expertise in making it unnecessary in the future. @ziiip I’m glad my reddit post inspired you to try again.

1 Like

Yeah, at this point it seems that some exception process could be employed within the code to accommodate the situation for this specific GPU.

Hey ziiip AMD has a new preview driver out for VR that gives at my estimate a 25%+ increase in VR performance. I was able to up my render quality in piplay to 1.25 and the new driver still reduced GPU load by 10% @ same settings. I recommend you give it a try if you haven’t already. Preview VR driver.

3 Likes

:open_mouth: :open_mouth:
It fixed it. Now it just works straight up. Thankssss! :heart:

1 Like

No worries have fun.

2 Likes

I ve been considering getting gpu. Just cant justify 4090 price right now. I ve seen at local microcenter 7900xtx open box for low $800s . Any updates would be appreciated

I think the 7900XTX got a recent patch from AMD that should help with VR.

TBH, AMD support for VR has been rather weak and fixes slow in coming.

I have a 6900XT and thinking to just get a 4090. Not just for VR but overall gaming experience.
There’s QUITE an uplift going to a 4090 from my current GPU.
If I can find a decent deal for a 4090, I might bite. Since, I’m not spending the money on the Crystal anytime soon.

If you’ve got a decent enough GPU now, you could just wait until a 5000 nVidia series comes out and hopefully the 4090 will drop in price. But that could be another year at least.

1 Like

The 2075 model works now with zero problems at 90Hz.
But if you have/consider getting the latest model of the 8KX they are explicitly said to only work with Nvidia.

I have 2075 model. I sold my 3080 a while back. I m ok with waiting. Life has been crazy busy these days anyway.

1 Like

Since 4090 is banned in China, will Pimax work on improving stability and performance with high end AMD cards?

AFAIK, the 4090 normal version will be banned, but a cut down version with less AI processing power, or something like that, could still be sold.

Finally found an 8k vision on the Pimax outlet store and bought it for a very good price expecting to receive a refurbished model. To my surprise I received what appeared to be a brand new headset as it even had the “new car smell”. Anyway just wanted to report that I couldn’t be happier with the purchase and it’s working perfectly with my 7900XTX and the latest version of Piplay client. The visuals are very good and 72 Hz refresh allows me to run the 7900 at my summer time power target below 300 watts so I do not have to deal with sweating profusely into the face padding. Maybe come winter I’ll run 90 Hz but for now I’m quite content with my new headset.

1 Like