I was really torn between whether to order the 8K Plus or the 8K X. I was leaning towards the 8K Plus and here are my reasons why:
- I will most likely be using the 90Hz upscaled mode anyway to play most games because I prefer to play at 90Hz or higher. 75Hz native 4K is just slightly better refresh rate than an Oculus Quest.
- The $300 I save could be money used towards the prescription lens adapters and eye tracking module
- It seems the 8K Plus is more likely to have wireless in the future. The 8K X uses special cables so I don’t know if it would be possible on that headset.
- I feel like performance on the 4K native mode would take a huge hit, even with my 2080 Ti
- I heard the cable for the 8K X is like 5m shorter than the 8K plus. I think having a long enough cable is important. My playspace dimensions are 9.5ft x 5.5ft
But now I’m rethinking my decision and I think I’ll go for the 8K X instead for the following reasons:
- While the 75Hz native 4K mode might have trouble running certain games smoothly, it would be nice for watching movies, browsing the web, etc.
- I’ve already spent a lot of money on VR and $300 more is not too bad.
- I’d still be able to switch between native and upscaled mode.
What do you guys think?