Pimax 8K Plus Review, VR 2.0 is finally here (at least for me ;))

@neal_white_iii @DrWilken
oh, let’s just hope :wink:

With the 5K Plus it somehow worked out, so why not the 8K X / Plus sometime?
Maybe you can upgrade to a cable with Displayport 2.0 or something like that later.Then the bandwidth problem would be solved. With the 5K Plus, 144 Hz were suddenly possible. This is only true for the models with SN 204 as far as I know. It could be that my model of the 8K Plus with SN 203 is already “too old” for an upgrade to higher refresh rates in the future.
Pimax has made a lot of things possible so far, why not that. But we will see and I keep my fingers crossed that it works!

1 Like

I think that will take a new chip in the headset, so more likely, a feature for the 8KX+.

All I’m saying is don’t get your hopes too high. That way you can avoid disappointment and be happy if Pimax can deliver on what they have already promised.

1 Like

My 5K+ is a 203600* and it’s got all the bells and whistles (incl. a cracked case)… :grin:

I think that’s generally a really good way to handle a lot of things. Expect the worst, hope for the best, move on… :wink:

2 Likes

No, you cannot do that so simply, because apart from the cable, the device itself has to support it. The headset uses a DP bridge, which, AFAIK, supports DP 1.4, and I am not aware of any discrete and available chip, which could do DP 2.0 at the moment.

Nothing to say about the display interfaces, and the displays themselves.

3 Likes

@neal_white_iii , @DrWilken
I know about it, and i use that strategy myself. For me it doesn’t matter if Pimax can do it with higher refreshrates or not. It also doesn’t matter when. I have the best what you can have at the moment and so the case is done for me.

Why should you get so upset about delays and not keeping promises?
It’s no use. You are just angry and depressive. I just accept what happens and then it is over for me. I don’t get upset about anything anymore, because it’s no use. No matter how much you get upset, it doesn’t help most of the time - except for more anger and frustration.

Calm yourself down and everything can only get better! :wink:

@risa2000
Ok so i learned something new, Thanks. It was only a idea, not more. We are going to see what the future brings :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not only head motion but also fast object motion (in case of table tennis it is just the ball moving fast). To capture fast motion fluently you need high Hz and that information is crucial to position the paddle well to hit the ball the way I want.

1 Like

I’m in shock that you think the colours are better than the 5k+. Are you the only one? Black are a lot better than 5k+. I don’t see the grey so much with mine in dark areas.

I think pimax needs a colour adjustment

PiTool has a color adjustment; it’s call Contrast.

I set mine to +1 and Brightness to -1. Some people prefer higher contrast, but it can start to look cartoony. There used to be a backlight brightness setting too, but this brightness only changes the color, not the backlight.

If you don’t see these settings, you need to scroll down until you see them.

The contrast ratio is the ratio between the luminance of the brightest white and the darkest black that a TV can produce. Larger contrast ratios work out to deeper blacks, which make a big difference to overall picture quality.

1 Like

I think the 8k+ colors are better. In my opinion.

3 Likes

Sure but it does not necessarily say anything about color reproduction. Also both 5k+/8k+ have LCD so contrast is probably similar.

Some people like vivid over-saturated colors and for this increasing software contrast (like Pitool setting) works. I mean lot of people will add some contrast (or rather more advanced function like vibrance which is similar technique) when photo editing simply because natural colors look “dull” to them.

1 Like

True, but it also boosts the colors, by lowering the non-dominant RGB channel values and increasing the dominant channel values. That increases color saturation.

Just curious, does anyone know what the highest VR resolution is that the current Displayport can handle at 90hz? If Displayport can handle 4K@120hz, basically what stable resolution can it handle doubled at 90hz?

Not much of a tech type of person but How long did it take to make the adjustments? Are the setting easy to find and use? Did you have to go back and forth between Pitools and StreamVr? I ordered my 8K+ June 12 because my Rift S is starting to fall apart. Have you tried the S? From what I have read the 8K + will be a step up. what do you think?

I can only speculate, cause I’ve had the normal 8K and am now waiting for the X.
But regarding the “step up” I’d say that for most people the FOV is all the stepping up they need. Everything else is secondary and in some cases a matter of taste.

It is for me anyway, and maybe I shouldn’t assume I speak for anyone else…
FOV is king.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.