Pimax 8K Headset Weight

While the Kickstarter was going on and we saw many people discussing the weight of the Headset they all mentioned the Headset was very light, even though it was so large.

Weighing showed that the headset weighs much less than an HTC Vive and about the same weight as an Oculus Rift. This was with Prototypes V2 and V3.

Now with V5 prototype at CES, everyone who demoed the V5 Headset said it was very heavy and even heavier than a Vive.

What changed with the between prototype V2 to V5 to make the Headset so much heavier and is there a way to make it lighter again ?

@deletedpimaxrep1 @Matthew.Xu @PimaxVR @bacon

2 Likes

@ChrisVL

Pretty funny we posted about the same thing 1 minute apart…

yeah i know , haha.
But still, the topic doesn’t make me laugh though…

xunshu
“the lenses and the mechanical design of the lenses are both new tooling version”

Perhaps the hardware weighs a little more now?

1 Like

I think there’s the explanation

2 Likes

Full text

c. Changed the material of the CLPL holder to light-weighted alloy for better heat dissipation and strength of the headset.

New features weight more :slight_smile:

You think it is heavy now, wait until you start plugging in accessories like eye glasses, wireless, eye tracking, etc.

1 Like

So light-weighted alloy?

Lighter than typical alloys but still heavier than plastic, I guess.
The weight will probably feel fine with the solid headstrap.
Also, it’s still a prototype. We already know they’re looking at changing some of the internals to get 90Hz, I’m sure the weight will change again.

1 Like

solid strap will help balance weight.

4 Likes

The weight complains comes only from journalist. I don’t trust them at this moment… We have 50 % chances that all "comfort & weight " reviews can be connected with Vive Pro anoucement. Prove to me that I’m wrong…

2 Likes

Weight is not a problem. You can double it just for me and i’ll accept that as durability improvement) Cheers

Calm down. No one is fighting with you.

I’m not sure what your saying at all but weight complaints were not just from journalists. They were all over reddit as well.

Also no one said it is heavy because the Vive Pro is lighter. It had nothing to do with that. they said it was Much heavier than an oculus Rift and more than the original Vive as well.

1 Like

Old exhibition, pimax always use hard strap, but this exhibition use cloth strap.

If reviewer compare with hard strap of vive, that not make sense. We have to wait for weight detail.

If you are not sure what I’m saying calm down yourself. Your answer was pretty offensive and you did not prove anything.

How was that offensive?

You stated an opinion and followed that with ‘prove me wrong’. Whilst that can make for a great discussion, that’s not the way an argument should be set up i.e. premise - proof/relevant information - conclusion. In your scenario we’d just be weighing opinions.

Re the weight, I’m sure those new heat dissipation elements as well as those huge lenses don’t come without an increase in weight; I’d rather have that constellation with a well-designed headstrap (this is crucial @Pimax and @deletedpimaxrep1) that properly distributes the weight in possibly a corona-style configuration such as PSVR. If I were Pimax I’d get a couple of HMDs such as PSVR, Vive Pro and the many standalone offerings shown at CES and then focus on reverse engineering a solution that balances the HMD as neutrally as possible (no front heaviness!) whilst affording a good compromise on weight and ventilation.

3 Likes

Totally agree with you. The heat dissipation is very important and must have added weight.

It is not important to try and make the headset lighter, but rather balance the headset on the head well with a great strap.

Also, I have no idea about that other guy. I’m just ignoring him and his “Proving Wrong”

2 Likes

Lets all “settle down”. We’re only having a discussion. No real need to get hyped up. :v::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

Hype on how to use scales? Does they have one? Are they gonna pause R&D for a long period doing measurements.
Is this parameter neglectable for most of users/backers.
Simply put numbers next to released next major updated v5.1(v6 ?)