Pimax 8k for Project Cars 2

If they fill the screen 100%, then the aspect ratio can even out to the standard 16: 9, which we expected, as far as I understand. And the screen resolution will equalize to the standard 4096x2160 per eye, possibly.
4096х2657 - really says that it is not standard at all.

to get better performance in PC2 you guys should play without HUD overlay. Geting extra ~ 20~25fps when is off. Problem is that this is possible only in practice mode .(?)
Time atack and other race modes turning on hud by defoult with lap stats and so on and fps drops down.

I’m not so technologically minded but I have also backed the 8K with a view to playing Project Cars 2 on it.

I currently have a Oculus and a 1080gtx graphics card. I was struggling with finding a balance between visuals and fps but this guide on the Project Cars forum has helped me get 90fps with quite high graphical settings:

My point with regards to the 8K and why I’ve backed it is because there is still plenty of room for fiddling; I have my Oculus debug tool set at 1.5 SS as well as in the game and most of my settings on high and I can quite happily play at night in the rain with 31 cars (the most taxing GPU situation apparently) so I’m confident that I have enough room to scale things down to find the same balance (until a new super graphics card comes out) on the 8K.

I would also like to say that I have also backed the kickstarter because I every faith in Pimax. I know that it may seem to some like they are trying to deceive people but after reading the majority of the posts on here since I joined it seems that there are so many factors involved that it’s very difficult to contextualise all that is happening even though people think they have it all sussed out. If you add this with the fact that they are trying their best to resolve every issue as soon as they can and with a valid explanation, for me I can see that they really are trying to give this project everything with a view to being a leader in VR in years to come…and I’m a part of it? I think it’s amazing. It may be summer 2018 until we have everything running (Hardware and software) just how we (ourselves and Pimax) want it but I’m just glad to be a part of it. Well done Pimax!

5 Likes

My computer can push 1.100mb/sec now on project cars 2.
That would take the pimax downscaling to 0.7 SS.

Do you guys think this will impact visuals alot?

Pimax - YouTube The last 3 videos that pimax uploaded show it running games like dead effect 2 at 80 hz on a 1070.

I think this would be mechanically impossible for the 1070 to do if it was rendering 2 x 4k and shrinking down then blowing up. I honestly think there is a broad misconception as to how the headset actually works and looking at vids its probably about 30-40 percent more workload on a gpu than a vive.

Maybe @deletedpimaxrep1 @Matthew.Xu
Can shed some light on the matter!?

According to your refresh rate test the Pimax 8k
Defaults at rendering 4096x2657 pixels per eye.
This seems very demanding and would equal to a Vive supersampling 3.8 SS

Is it fair to assume that pimax 8k will be as demanding as a Vive with 3.8 SS?

Thats the eye buffer, not actual in game resolution. The eye buffer is the texture that the 1440p rendered game imagery gets sent to before distortion.

1 Like

Don’t know if this is true but it makes more sense than what everyone else is assuming lol.

It’s not necessarily the resolution sent to the headset, but it is the resolution the GPU is having to render, unless they’re doing something different in their driver that’s reporting a different value to steamVR. If you look at the MP/sec, it’s 1,741, which is very high and equivalent to setting supersampling at 4.0 on my Rift headset

Are you saying those numbers are different than if I supersampled the Vive to that resolution? If so then I figured SteamVR is just reading some values from the piplay software. If I remember I think you own a 4K right? If you supersample in piplay what does steam show vs default?

I dont own a 4k, but we already know that Pimax is running their own renderer. It could be that Pimax is rendering the 1440p per eye, that is getting upscaled to 3840x2160 per eye, and then steam is reporting an eye buffer based on the upscaled 3840x2160

It must be since I don’t think any game would look smooth at the 4.0SS of the Vive. It would be nice to know soon because people are comparing the requirements to 3-4.0ss

The 8k, i find the 8k x irrelevant.

1 Like

Then your hud settings are off.

I have no problem playing pcars 2 with no HUD what so ever in any mode.

This is now my chief concern for the 8k.
Doesn’t really matter what this video say.
I’m going by the statement that the output resolution to the headset is 2550x1440, this alone would be a pixel factor of 2.83 compared to my rift\vive.

Granted I have pushed a few settings on Elite but no matter what I set as HMD Q or SS, it tanks fps, not even an SS of 1.2 would be what I consider good enough in regards to stable framerate.
This with an i7 4790k with 1080ti and 2400mhz RAM, I am also probably the most demanding person I know when it comes to frame drops\or decreased framerate.

I would like the 8k to make my vive or rift practially a paperweight but unless I start rendering at 0.7x or something it will probably be the other way around.