Pimax 5k+ received! Early experience (Spamenigma)

I’m at early days obviously, but I was a bit worried about brightness on first go. We know we’re not getting OLED standards and I’m happy with the tradeoff for the other benefits. But as I’m gradually trying other experiences the feeling does differ per case… For example I’ve just had to pick my jaw up after briefly playing ED…

A large part of that is clarity and FOV. I sat in my conda and set to launch, the screen suddently frosted up and I could see a lot of detail of that frost, it took me back a bit, I then forgot how to fly KB/M (normally use HOTAS but not re-setup yet) and so got blown up in my anaconda and had to pay 8mil… lol

So yes, I’m brought into the world… a lot!, I don’t feel claustrophoic… I can see! I can see a lot!!

The Left and Right start to fall into the distortion catagory, basically you don’t notice until you move… then you can see objects sort of skew slightly and compress as they move towards the edge, I suspect this is something that some experiences will be better/worse than others and may need us to adjust FOV on those that require it.

I can see me watching movies in this, not often… I still have a decent 60" pioneer kuro plasma and surround for that… but for 3D movies and occasional messing I will do this more. I have watched stuff on gearvr and in the past managed the odd film on vive/rift but I’ll do some proper comparisons in time to fully decide.

SDE, hmm… although not exactly resolution relative I get the comparison and probably somewhere between the two, lets say 900p gut feeling :slight_smile:

Depth seems fine so far, nothing to report but can concentrate on that further.

HMD feels nice, not over heavy or too big. My only slight gripe I have so far is comfort on my nose, might need to pad that part a little for longer term use. My IPD I’ve set quite low (61 guesstimate) which is likely part of that equation.

16 Likes

I always leave the AV on while connected to the internet. If I run into a problem with installs. I disconnect from the internet & disable the AV & install trusted programs as admin. After install successful re-enable AV & perform scan; after scan complete I reconnect to the Internet.

@Serinity yeah Norton is not that great anymore; I recall when it was one of the best. Comodo AV is not bad & it likes to sandbox your web browsers. Not sure how it would work on pimax & likes to ask you often about launching programs it’s not familiar with. Kodi for example will not launch without opening it in a sandbox.

2 Likes

Yeah this SDE thing is kinda worrying me.
To me, SDE standard is Pimax 4k, which is quit acceptable but dont want something lower, the Vive one is a nightmare compare to the 4k and after the 4k!
According to what I read, I am SDE sensitive.
But you never tried it :frowning:

3 Likes

No problem, I’ve been climbing the walls for info and impressions ever since backing… so happy to do my best to help now I have the opportunity to.

9 Likes

Sounds very exciting and super awesome!

3 Likes

I had the same issue on the 8k. Had to update back to 84 to get it to connect. it kept saying to plug in the DP/hdmi.

I have been playing with Pitool at 1.25 with steamvr ss set to give 2880*x per eye (to just over 3000)

5 Likes

I didn’t have to pay extra tax in Canada either.

is Anyone else having trouble with forum on mobile phone? it loads but no content (was fine this morning) I do have malware bytes installed

2 Likes

@Sean.Huang posted a chart on pitool parallel projection settings in a variety of games

Ah, thanks for reminding me that exists. I assume you mean this post:

http://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-setting-suggestions/9312

I looked the other day and totally forgot again because I had no HMD then :smiley:

2 Likes

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: 8k Arrived Oct 17 2018 -Helio

Thank you so much for all the info when you must really just want to play with your new toy :grinning:
Can I ask you as someone who hates SDE and pixilation of 1st gen HMD’s
If the Vive SDE is 100% noticeable and distracting what percentage would you put the 5k SDE at?
I know it is subjective to some degree but just give you opinion having experienced both HMD’s
Also the pixilation and general lack of clarity was bad enough for me not to enjoy race sims, using the same guide where you would put 5k clarity as compared with the Vive?
Many thanks.

1 Like

I am SO envious. I’ll need to wait at least a couple of months to see it myself. (Backer # 31XX)

3 Likes

He already answered that SDE question a few posts above:

Vive 8/10, Rift 7/10, 5K+ 3.5/10… going from memory… I will do some comparison testing this weekend with all my HMD’s to refresh my memory and compare properly and revisit my scores

1 Like

@Chucksta was not super happy with the SDE on 8k, interesting.

Edit. maybe thats one of the reason the 3 awesome heroes of ours preferred the 5k+, the pattern of the SDE?

2 Likes

Yeah seems counter to everything we have heard from the testers.

1 Like

Yeah like, “you see it if you try to look for it” but is it more annoying on 8k when you actually see it? (edit. judging by the thru-lens shoots, I think so) Very interesting and definately very giggity.

It’s in line with what (most of the) Spanish testers said.

1 Like

Hey, no verbal dumping on my post! keep it civil please! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I want a neural implant… :beers::innocent::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

Sir, one question! are you british? i hope so cause you guys are critical lol so this would be extra gud news

3 Likes