PIMAX 5K+ GTX or RTX?

Actually I believe Pimax will release this (Fixed Foveated Rendering) quite soon “working with 95% of current games”

2 Likes

"Actually I believe Pimax will release this (Fixed Foveated Rendering) quite soon “working with 95% of current games”

I have yet to receive a face foam or spectacle lens frames or a headstrap hahah not holding my breath for eye tracking module, good possibilty by the time we get eyetracking we’ll be on rtx 30 series I know it exists and I’ve seen it, but hey we knew the Pimax existed over a year ago but we didn’t have it :wink:

I don’t think it will need eye tracking. I think that the Fixed part means that the centre of the display is foveated. Certainly not the panacea of foveated rendering but a great step in the interim.

3 Likes

Sorry I misunderstood your post, why would we want fixed foveated , you’d have to keep looking totally straight for it to work. I would hate that :confused:

You are right - I am an early adopter and see it as investing and pushing ( even if it is nanometers) towards what I think is good. (On the other hand — this is a 8k Forum… :wink: )

2 Likes

This is the right way to look at buying an RTX card imho, it’s not for raytracing now…it’s for a ray traced future for everyone. I thank you for supporting the cause :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The one thing i will say in flavor of rtx, is there are inklings that rtx features will be built into the main branch of ue4, not special built.

2 Likes

Yes 10 series has it too but due to the angled displays only 20 series multi view rendering supports Pimax which is why 2080ti crushed 1080ti in serious Sam when sweviver tested.
Go for 2080!

4 Likes

You are welcome - but it was some what egoistic also - I do like the RTX Effect in BF V its just great looking and for me quite playable fps wise - everthing top notch and still get up in the 90 fps, 75 average and almost never below 60, so unless you are into 4k and want more then 60fps at that, it is possible

Also the advanced features it delivers as @jorgenRe mentioned where another option - I hope that it will find its ways into games… I hate that no one is using the api’s vor VR Enhancement (except Serious Sam, but I dont like the Wave Shooter stuff).

But always true is: the 2nd generation of a new feature card will be the one that has good price / performance ratio - the first adopting it was and is never good in that Aspekt. So when the shrunken version of the 20xx comes (7nm i guess, and maybe red delivers a competitor) it will be better in performance and price - but then again there will be another better one (red or green) around the next corner… there is no holding still in IT :slight_smile:

1 Like

The laughter is on our side, Mr. Clueless. You just had to read what others write and you would have noticed that the RTX cards already made foveated rendering possible - and that on driver level. If you don’t understand the significance of this, then there is no point to discuss it further.

Btw. I still use a GTX 1080. But I actually read what RTX has to offer.

For example mesh shading. Or async compute. salt

Fixed Foveated rendering could help a lot especially in Wide FOV hmds like Pimax. This is because a lot of resolution is wasted on the periphery/edges … which you don’t look at anyways. This would then allow to increase SS resulting in higher resolution at the center.

Look at the below Pimax mirror screen for example (from https://skarredghost.com/2017/09/22/all-need-know-pimax-8k-buy/)

See how much is wasted on the sides, while the center is so small.

Additionally, Variable Rate Shading, which the RTX supports, will allow for real foveated rendering, once they hook it up to the eye tracker data.

3 Likes

No Pimax made it possible not RTX cards , from what I read they are now working on doing it with GTX cards too :slight_smile:

1 Like

They were able to make it work on RTX cards already. They are trying to do it on GTX, but we’ll have to see if they succeed. Anyways, Pimax is showing they really want to create the best overall solution they can, which is great!

8 Likes

Do you have a link to that? (To blind to see the PiMax post about the PITool)

BF V: Yeah the 60 to 90 FPS where in Multiplayer, Amsterdam is demanding and can go down to 60 in some areas - on other maps its easily in the upper 80s and into the 90s - single player is the same for me as you said for my 3440x1440.

1 Like

202202å2å202022020p2å

1 Like

Thank you! 2020202020
Edit: I have even read it, but must have skipped the RTX Part

1 Like

Amd has had the option for awhile in Radeon Rays.

IMHO go 2080 Ti or stick with 1080Ti. 2080 vs 1080Ti is not worth the extra price

You can buy the 1080Ti much cheaper now

3 Likes

Deciding between RTX or GTX is more like buying into a particular mindset.
I had the same dilemma 3 months ago when I was choosing my new build. Finally got second hand GTX 1080 Ti, because it had far better price than RTX 2080. RTX 2080 Ti was out of question. Not because I did not have the money, but I simply did not want to pay so much for so little (figuratively speaking).

Now, it is true that RTX has several very handy features for VR, but the question is, if they will be used by the devs, and if yes when we will see them in the games. I believe that when it happens, RTX 2080 will already be replaced by better one (at least the node shrink and arch tweaks => I hope for substantial perf increase).

So the question is when the time may come when you will be able to fully utilize RTX features, you might as well want a new card. The only RTX card which seems to have certain longevity, is RTX 2080 Ti, if you have the money. On the other hand you should be able to buy 1080 Ti much cheaper.

5 Likes

I second that I have had nothing but issues with gigabyte boards and cards, back in the day they were some of the best. I would recommend Asus as other than some software bugs have been rock solid.

1 Like