PIMAX 5K+ GTX or RTX?

The laughter is on our side, Mr. Clueless. You just had to read what others write and you would have noticed that the RTX cards already made foveated rendering possible - and that on driver level. If you don’t understand the significance of this, then there is no point to discuss it further.

Btw. I still use a GTX 1080. But I actually read what RTX has to offer.

For example mesh shading. Or async compute. salt

Fixed Foveated rendering could help a lot especially in Wide FOV hmds like Pimax. This is because a lot of resolution is wasted on the periphery/edges … which you don’t look at anyways. This would then allow to increase SS resulting in higher resolution at the center.

Look at the below Pimax mirror screen for example (from https://skarredghost.com/2017/09/22/all-need-know-pimax-8k-buy/)

See how much is wasted on the sides, while the center is so small.

Additionally, Variable Rate Shading, which the RTX supports, will allow for real foveated rendering, once they hook it up to the eye tracker data.

3 Likes

No Pimax made it possible not RTX cards , from what I read they are now working on doing it with GTX cards too :slight_smile:

1 Like

They were able to make it work on RTX cards already. They are trying to do it on GTX, but we’ll have to see if they succeed. Anyways, Pimax is showing they really want to create the best overall solution they can, which is great!

8 Likes

Do you have a link to that? (To blind to see the PiMax post about the PITool)

BF V: Yeah the 60 to 90 FPS where in Multiplayer, Amsterdam is demanding and can go down to 60 in some areas - on other maps its easily in the upper 80s and into the 90s - single player is the same for me as you said for my 3440x1440.

1 Like

202202å2å202022020p2å

1 Like

Thank you! 2020202020
Edit: I have even read it, but must have skipped the RTX Part

1 Like

Amd has had the option for awhile in Radeon Rays.

IMHO go 2080 Ti or stick with 1080Ti. 2080 vs 1080Ti is not worth the extra price

You can buy the 1080Ti much cheaper now

3 Likes

Deciding between RTX or GTX is more like buying into a particular mindset.
I had the same dilemma 3 months ago when I was choosing my new build. Finally got second hand GTX 1080 Ti, because it had far better price than RTX 2080. RTX 2080 Ti was out of question. Not because I did not have the money, but I simply did not want to pay so much for so little (figuratively speaking).

Now, it is true that RTX has several very handy features for VR, but the question is, if they will be used by the devs, and if yes when we will see them in the games. I believe that when it happens, RTX 2080 will already be replaced by better one (at least the node shrink and arch tweaks => I hope for substantial perf increase).

So the question is when the time may come when you will be able to fully utilize RTX features, you might as well want a new card. The only RTX card which seems to have certain longevity, is RTX 2080 Ti, if you have the money. On the other hand you should be able to buy 1080 Ti much cheaper.

5 Likes

I second that I have had nothing but issues with gigabyte boards and cards, back in the day they were some of the best. I would recommend Asus as other than some software bugs have been rock solid.

1 Like

I second the ASUS. Have been using the ASUS strix 1080 for 2 years and it’s been rock solid. My ASUS strix 2080 is arriving today. I’ve only been able to see a savings for a used 1080ti for about $200 compared to a brand new 2080. Paying $200 extra is worth it for new tech and new new new…

3 Likes

Lol I had those kinds of problems with MSI & had 2 asus board died. In my general xp Asrock(used to be iwned by asus), Asus, Gigabyte & MSI were top boards. (Poor quality vrm & chokes in the past)

Msi typically was not great for OC (though they seem to make giid nvidia cards).

Gigabyte usually has boring bios & depending on which you buy in gpu not always good overclocking ie my r9 390 g1 is a good card but overclocking limited compared to others.

Asus usually good but doubt their old rep of less 1% failure rate is intact.

Asrock good value for overclocking.

But none of three us as good as they used to be tbh. Like JBL & Cerwin Vega they sell now by there name.

1 Like

Pascal (GTX 10x0) may be able to do fixed foveated rendering, but:

1. the quality and performance will be worse than on RTX
  2. it will not be able to do real dynamic foveated rendering!

Pascal is now almost 3 years old. A 1080 Ti only makes sense as a filler card to bridge the gap to the next node shrink. But you could end up waiting for 2 long years during which a lot can and will happen.
Pimax claims that RTX is already able to do fixed foveated rendering on driver level (so works with almost all the games out of the box). From this point doing real foveated rendering is only a small step for RTX, but impossible for any GTX card.

Mark my words: You will heavily regret your 1080 Ti purchase once your eye tracking module arrives!

4 Likes

See ya? One day i say “possible features will be implemented”, and another day: “ff rendering is in beta, currently using 20** models”. Youll newer know how new things will evolve, dont stick with old time technologies just to save 100$ on a card that cost around 700$. The difference isnt worth it, as you’re bying a card for approximately 2 years or longer. You wont buy new 1080ti “much” cheaper like others saying or it will be the chippest one which might be slower than 2080.

2 Likes

And RTX purchasers may regret their purchases when pci-X 4 or 5 comes out. :laughing:

The only regret I have is that I couldn’t get the Ti version (because it wasn’t readily available, not due to expense). I’d really like a bit more speed than my overclocked 2080 provides.

Like many, I would have preferred a cheaper, faster card, without the raytracing and AI features.

Why? Turing is cutting edge tech. There is no improvement on the horizon. AMD is in a coma. Nvidia is in no hurry to deliver a node shrink, just to compete against itself.

2 Likes

Your right Nvidia didn’t recently cave & added support for freesync. And obvious you were not paying attention to CES. Amd is not in a coma; in fact Nvidia is also in And’s early adopter list.

Amd already has real time Ray tracing in Radeon Rays.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a source for your claims tbh, I see pimax has started work on 2080 for fixed foveated rendering first, but they didn’t give any particular info about whether it was driver level or whether it was in Pitool or any idication that it would be any more difficult to implement on the 10 series, so I’m wondering where you got that I may have missed something ?
One could also argue that by the time we get our eye tracking module we will be on the 30 series of cards[still waiting for foam and headstrap]. By then even a 2080ti could be an entry level card.

1 Like