Pimax 5K+, 8K and the OD+ (Samsung Odyssey+): the good the bad and the ugly

I still haven’t tried a Pimax but to say the fov is close sounds crazy.
I can see myself using my (yet to arrive) od+ over my (also yet to arrive) 5k+ in dcs and x-plane purely to drive more frames per second. But whenever the 5k+ can get good fps I’d take the extra fov anyday.

1 Like

yeah. Perhaps this person has poor peripheral vision to begin with so the difference to him seems marginal. Most folks with low peripheral vision are not aware of the handicap unless an optometrist points it out, at any rate all reviewers say "once you go wide FOV you can never go back… this statement seems to hold true in reviews even after testing the OD+ 110 fov vs 150 should seem pretty large

1 Like

So the odyssey+ showed up. The face fitment is completely different then the Non plus. If you have a narrow face you will have a lot of light bleed around the sides. The aftermarket pads for the Non plus will not work with the Plus. The plus has a lot thicker pad. I’ve stuffed some foam under the sides which seems to work ok. While the nose flaps are gone you get a lot of light in from the nose area. This wouldn’t be a big deal if the odyssey used IR tracks but it requires a bit of ambient light to work correctly. The plus also doesn’t use a spring loaded hinge on the top which means less wiggle room for adjusting the strap to get the headphones to fit correctly. So expect the need for some sort of custom padding for the unit.

2 Likes

I’ve measured the lens Of the odyssey+ about the same diameter 50mm like the vive indeed, way smaller than the pimax. I’ve realized something in those tests if the lens were more like real prescription lens more rectangular the immersion effect will be better even if the vertical FOV is smaller

For comfort hacks this guy seems to have tested all sorts

And if that fails there is always this :smiley: :

4 Likes

I pretty much did that exact same thing but put velcro in between the layers so I don’t have to realign each time

I use google translation / do not compare fov diagonal of od + with the real horizontal of the pimax. you say 110 vs 150 then you should say 95 vs 150

When compared to Vive+3mm Foam pad the O+ actually feels a tad less verticaly FOV.

1 Like

It’s possibly I don’t like the way the lens are cut on the OD+ I prefer those on the Vive. But it’s in the same range. you could gain FOV I think if you removed the head padding on the forehead cushion of the OD+

2 Likes

5 Likes

that looks comfy :slight_smile: but also looks like an Fov Killer :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it’s not as much as it looks, since that big cushion compressses a lot. I am experimenting with other covers now though as well to see which one gives the best FOV while still maintaining comfort

2 Likes

I actually got a good combo with the original odyssey+ and an Oculus VRCover. Better for people who didn’t have the original Odyssey.

2 Likes

Nice to see a solution. All these people complaining about ergonomics when all it needs is some simple ingenuity

For the light leakage round the nose try to cut and velcro a custom flange underneath the eye box to seal the nose area better

Custom taylored for your nose and no light leakage whatsoever. This example I just cut is not to scale of course

3 Likes

Indeed the cool thing with Pimax making the face gasket removable one might even print a tpu? One with different contours.

But yeah think more folks need to be creative.

they might, but actually, it’s the companies job to finish a product, especially if they already had very alike issues with a prior release. It’s fun though to get creative but with a sad eye if “have to”. Nonetheless @Davobkk great workaround! I think it is far better than simply using a thicker facepad and loose some of the already limited FOV

1 Like

True but face shapes can vary alot. It is surprising though a company like samsung could. Bumble so badly though.

Pimax in that respect making the face mask removable allows potentially for different masks to be made. One of the many things pimax has listened to backers on. :beers::blush::+1::sparkles:

3 Likes

True to be said the OD+ is consumer product and VR Headsets should be more like a high end sport products. This means more R&D and not just in the panels. And the price tag should really 300$ US not 500$.

Beside do you know a lot of high products going in 40% sale just after their introduction. Didn’t happen with the last iphone or the last Samsung “intelligent” watch either…

To be fair it’s understandable just look to what’s happening to StarVr

1 Like