Pimax 4k Software Wish List

Thanks for the update! I’ll update the main post in a bit, except for numbers (5.), (5.1), (7), (8), for quite a few reasons.

For numbers (5) and (5.1), can someone verify that the Ceiling Mount is truly supported for all versions of Piplay, or are they just saying this just because they can? I don’t want to update the main post until I’m sure that the NoloVr System works as asked.

Wish List feature (7) isn’t just a solution for non-vr games. I was quite specific… it is an option in Piplay to display an image in a side-by-side format. If you say Virtual Desktop is the recommended solution, then another could say that Open Track mouse mode would be the mouse solution for the Pimax 4k. The problem with both is the limited capability, the lack of true functionality, and the dependency on third party programs just to get something ‘similar’ to what we’re looking for. Oh, let’s not forget that virtual desktop is a paid program…

I’m not looking for a theater mode of sorts for the Pimax, and I’m not looking to use the Pimax as a second monitor for gaming. For movies, sure. Both Vr and Non-Vr I’d like my head to move the camera (typically the mouse) and bind controls as I see fit.

For Racing and flight simulators, you can’t honestly say “We recommend Virtual Desktop” and expect that to be sufficient, do you? Also, virtual desktop and other programs like require SteamVr to be running, which means more resources are being wasted just to even watch a game in theater mode… not in a simulated vr mode.

For number (8), absolutely not. I can’t download steam in the default location for several reasons. It can’t honestly be that hard to add a ‘Steam Directory’ option, can it? And what about those who have to reinstall steamVR just because it is on a different drive? Not everyone has the fastest internet. Please reconsider this, as this is not a solution as it is Pimax saying “we don’t want to put the option in”. Come on guys, this seems incredibly lazy.

And lastly, for number (9)… your details do not justify not implementing it. We’re not talking about game compatibility, we’re simply asking for and option for Pimax yaw and pitch movement to output to mouse x and y movement. This has a million different benefits, such as being able to use windows with the pimax, playing older fps games, head movement in simulator style games, and more. Contact partners… wait what? I don’t see how this relates to adding a simple feature in or not… perhaps you misunderstood the feature request?

Aside from all of that, I’m adding a Number (5.2) about the Nolo system. There really should be a way to set what height/angle the nolo base station is.

@deletedpimaxrep1, I really do appreciate the work being done and the considerations made, but I don’t think we’re quite on the same page as to what each feature is and why its requested.

@grzvs, Opentrack does support Pimax 4k input but it is rather unusable between the constant drift and lack of fluid 360 degree turning.

1 Like

I agree. Now i do remember how to use Path enviroment variable. Simply add steam directory here & any program in theory should find steam.

But for novices who use an ssdd for OS & seperate drive(s) for programs & games having an option to “point” piplay in the right direction is needed.

Some will even install piplay on seperate drives other than main drive where OS is located.

I just updated, though I realize I need to edit (1), because Pimax equates improving their current engine with allowing the option to use the Steam render engine… two different ideas, so I will mention something in the comments.

@deletedpimaxrep1, can we get a answer for feature (1)? I’ve noticed that nothing has been said about the option to switch between the steam and Pimax renderers, but only about the improvement to your own. I made a comment about it in the main post.

Hi CryCoh, how do you make Opentrack works with Pimax 4k in Piplay Video mode??? I can use Opentrack in Piplay Pimax mode through Steam VR.

Thanks

http://community.openmr.ai/t/possible-to-display-2d-content-sbs/2195

Read the second post. I did this with v1.1.92. If you need more information, private message me and I’ll help however I can, otherwise search to forums.

@deletedpimaxrep1, this was mentioned back in June 16 when a topic was opened about mouse support. So, are there any plans for mouse emulation for Piplay?

Thanks for reply, Headtracking detection with Opentrack in the lastest Piplay 1.2.91 does not work for me, with the piplay version that you mention (1.1.92) I can make it work. Did you try Opentrack with the lastest Piplay version ??

@deletedpimaxrep1 please consider two different color on each + signs on IPD adjustment screen. Blue-yellow for example. Someboody mentioned it earlier, it would be helpful to adjust IPD correctly.

1 Like

Agreed. Green on green ain’t wright. Lol

Thanks @CryCoh for highlighting the requests. Details of (1) (7) (8) (9) edited.

Do not hesitate to let us know if you have any idea to improve PiPlay. Leave your comments on the topic, we will collect the new requests and report to you next Monday.

1 Like

Looks good though Ipd ctoss blue 4 left eye & yellow for right eye please.

& status on ghosting? Render looks great but need ghosting fixed up.

1 Like

I think (7) would needs its own discussion thread for users to post games they would like Sbs image support with.Thanks for the update!

1 Like

@deletedpimaxrep1 Are you guys tracking native 4k support here as well? There seems to be some progress in support for DSC with Displayport 1.4.

The Pimax 4k doesn’t support native 4k, and likely never will. Its been discussed over and over on the forums, that’s why it isn’t even added to the wishlist.

it is limit of the HDMI 1.4 port [ which cannot support 60Hz 4K, only up to 30Hz 4K ] so not a SW issue.

Its a combo. While yes 1.4 hdmi supports 4k@30hz. It could support 4k @60hz compressed. However only Arm has this support of that compression (i think its dsc?)

The new Display port standard does support this compression. @Sjef mentioned this a few weeks back and had put forth the question to the PiMax team if the new DP with hdmi adapter could make 4k@60hz compressed work. From what I recall the answer was silent.

However unless the new DP is a soft upgrade; we’d all need a new GPU. Grrrrr lol

First gen 4k TVs had to up convert content due to hdmi 1.4 limits.

So @jjvvgg is simply asking support the question again. It might be we will need to wait til the new DP standard arrives.

The DSC has been an issue that Nvidia & Amd gpus currently don’t support it.

The other issue is can the headset be made to work off DP with Hdmi adapter? Most of what i have read; headsets prefer native ports.

Exactly, as I played CV1 with low res and huge SDE, and have now 2.5K upscaled to 4K - think that this is the BEST possible solution still for 2017/2018 [ also due to GPU limits - already playing at incredible display quality, which still GTX1080 - can hardly handle - come on 60-90FPS on native 4K on PC2, or DCS ? impossible, so what play Luckys Tale all the time ?! ] - I really don`t need a native 4K for gaming [ or 2 * 4K ], at least for next 1-2 year.

If I would consider only watching movies, then still is OK, who watches native 4K in 3D - which are also not popular and could weight 50GB each ? it is OK as is, only @pimax should work a little more on improvement in render, minimalize ghosting [ + add even old steamVR render as option available ], some gyro calibration/resets

1 Like

I agree tbh even Fhd(2k 1080p) looks great up converted. But the dsc is what PiMax was trying to get Nvidia & Amd to support (hard to believe ARM is ahead if them lol)

But as for can current gen cards push it? I would say yes as Pi Render X target resolution( I find 1.5 - 2.0). But then you may need Anti Aliasing to get Native 4k rendered. At present we render higher to get better quality image by Down sampling to 2.5k then interpolate to 4k. Which produces an amazing picture. Of which without doing an in depth comparisons. The mass majority will not see a real difference as it would require far too much concentration. Now a very small percentage will actually see the difference without being told there is.

As the old 1980’s Laundry detergent said “I can’t see the difference; can you?” -why pay more.

Movie/video wise? Unless its a 360/180 video; you will not have 4k like watching a 4k monitor. As Regular/3d video is often presented on a screen in an enviroment. & the 4k native is split between 2 eyes in a vr headset.

Per Eye resolution is “what you see”
Both eyes added together = Gpu muscle req to deliver per eye. (now 200°+ will be different as less binocular overlap)

But I agree atm 1) Ghosting 2) Gyro calibration/stability.

4k native? Wait til new DP standard comes out & stable(3-6 months after released) or wait for PiMax 4k Extreme v2.0 that will maybe support oled/DP/Usb3.x/Man Focus!ipd (say made for 20/20 with 1.5mm +/- in/out) USB3.x micro plugs for accesories

& maybe enthusiast friendly for future PiMax hrdware upgrades :v::smirk::+1::sparkles:

Only what we need is OLED or IPS >800PPI display. Even if it is native 2560x1440 resolution with 800PPI will be no SDE. as well without ghosting and more vivid colors. That is the major issue for Pimax now.

1 Like

It’s a shame that they postponed the term.
I hope that the update will completely eliminate the drift.

1 Like