Overview and impressions of Pimax 8K. VR 2.0 is already here. The wide FOV wins in all categories! (comparison with Lenovo Explorer / Samsung Odyssey, including through the lens) @Century

I’ve yet to try ReShade but the supported games list is impressive and we can also play titles that weren’t coded for stereo 3D!

Having revisited the wiki stereo 3D list, the only notable titles that offer SBS out of the box are:

Doom 3 BFG Edition
Trine 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Elite Dangerous

Anyone interested in the debate of what’s the best way to go with stereo 3D can find one of the discussions here:

I don’t feel smarter after reading it but at least many people are happy with ReShade. :wink:

There’s hope for getting nVidia 3D Vision to display SBS, but since nVidia has dropped it’s driver support we’d have to downgrade to 425.31. I’d guess that all Pimax features will still be functional because it’s a very recent release and comes with RTX support.

Getting SBS outuput requires some tweaking as mentioned here:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/912552/3d-vision/modifying-3d-vision-to-support-sbs/post/5139196/#5139196

Another option would be to use a wrapper for nVidia 3D Vision, mentioned in the release video: What's new in version 10.1.Beta - YouTube
GitHub - helifax/OGL-3DVision-Wrapper: OpenGL Wrapper to enable 3D Vision Support under Windows

I’d guess it’s already included in the 3D Fix Manager the author has also written:

Setting the resolution to 3840x1080 will also yield better image quality for SBS gaming.

3 Likes

Yes, there will still have to understand the setting, if you really start to use it seriously.
The fact is that even though I am able to quickly launch any game in SBS mode via reshade + Depth3D, the feeling of a defective 3D doesn’t leave me. As if the depth is not very felt.:roll_eyes:

And there obviously need to adjust the settings for the best effect.

2 Likes

By the way, quite a lot of games are compatible with Depth3D and Reshade.
Here is a list and settings for them:
https://github.com/BlueSkyDefender/Depth3D/blob/master/Game_Settings.txt

In general, so far it has been possible to achieve quite acceptable 3D in Sniper Elite V2.
Here are my settings for it:

Summary

Strangely enough, but I managed to configure Tekken 7 in 3D SBS :sunglasses::laughing:

Summary

Next in line is Resident Evil 7, which was purchased on pre-order, but postponed to the shelf, since at that time I had already moved to VR.
I will write later when I try. It definitely has Reshade support in the Depth3d settings list.
And I definitely want to go through this game in Pimax 8K :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Really interesting. I actually use Reshade with Depth3D when a game is not suported by Vorpx or natively. There are actually some Dlls that let you use Reshade and Depth3D with SteamVR but it only worked with my Pimax 4K, my question guys, How do you apply reshade with Depth3D and make it works with Pimax 8K and SteamVR??? @Century @mojojojo

3 Likes

Yes, the thing is very interesting, but for some reason it does not always translate into real 3D. Sometimes it seems that the depth is not enough, and it is not clear why … (I remember another good 3D driver - Tridef. He moved well in 3D. But I don’t know if it works now.)

And the implementation is actually quite simple for any SteamVR headset. We just need any program for the desktop with SBS / OU mode. (Virtual Desktop, BigScreen, etc.)
At the same time, we don’t even need to adjust image distortions before serving into the headset, which is very convenient and simplifies use :beers: :sunglasses:

Yesterday I was tormented with the Depth3D settings for RE7 and for the new RE2:Biohazard.
There is some depth in RE7, but still some artifacts are present.
In RE2 (it is not on the Depth3D list), the figure of the hero looks voluminous on an oath background, but everything else is not quite in 3D. (but in general, I liked it, after all, it is an opportunity to go through a new RE2)

3 Likes

Unfortunately I haven’t tried it, I don’t like installing 3rd party software, all talk and no walk. But other people here have had success also.

Edit: maybe your meant SteamVR theater mode?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pimax/comments/ar62sy/vorpx_is_awesome_on_the_5k/eglckje?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

There’s a video of tweaking image separation with helixmod, it’s quite annoying to watch but interesting to get an idea. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4w9jYCIzHo&t=167s

3 Likes

It looks interesting :+1:
Although there seems to be any such settings in Depth3D…

Today I tried the game from the list Depth3D. This is the “Darksiders Warmastered Edition”.
Together with Reshade + Depth3D, this game has found a real 3D with almost no settings! :star_struck:
I was surprised how she looks. It is really worth the attention.

3 Likes

Tired of using Reshade, I decided to buy VorpX a few days ago :sunglasses:

And now I can say that Vorpx is a great thing, I’ve already tried so many games there: Borderlands, RE7, Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2, Half Life2, FEAR, Crysis, Hard Reset and so on)

A great revelation for me was to find myself on the streets of the GTA V with a full sense of depth :star_struck:

Steep” is very good in Z3D mode. (be sure to turn off the MSAA). It’s very exciting to do different tricks there, the game is fascinating in Pimax 8K.
I’m surprised why the VR-mode hasn’t been released for her yet. It just asks for it. The game would have been a huge success if it had a native VR mode with support for controllers, I’m just sure. It is much better and more interesting than Fancy Skiing

For those who like fighting games. Who’d have thought of that, but Tekken 7 has a G3D (real geometric 3D). Looks so great in Vorpx that I left it for permanent use :beers: :+1: (I quit playing Tekken 7 with regret when I moved to VR as I quit many other “flat” games that now get a new life together with Vorpx, and it’s amazing).
MK X also works, but the shadows there have to be turned off.

Reshade + Depth 3D is also a good alternative solution for running a lot of flat games in helmet, in SBS stereo mode.
But with VorpX it’s getting easier + there’s geometric 3D in many games (I don’t know if G3D supports Reshade, probably not) + head tracking + no need to run additional programs like Virtual Desktop and so on

Vorpx is definitely worth its money. This is access to a huge library of 3D profiles for flat games, which is constantly updated and replenished. (By the way, Tekken 7 with Vorpx’s G3D looks much better than with Reshade in SBS mode. Natural 3D turns out)

G3D is a very demanding mode using DirectVR (if supported). But also the real 3D. Requires a lot of power. I haven’t been able to optimize RE7 on Pimax 8K yet (but you can play well)
Z3D is a 3D stereoscopic mode, but slightly different. As far as I understand, the depth buffer is used here. And it’s also very cool in many games (although it’s pseudo 3D as it were). Much less demanding.

In general, I’m very satisfied with VorpX and all its features.
I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to start playing all sorts of non-VR games, AAA hits, etc. in a new way with 3D in a VR helmet. It will be especially useful for those who do not have controllers at the moment. After all, VorpX does not even require 6DOF tracking, it is enough 3DOF from the headset and it works fine. I never turn on the LH base station when using VorpX, it’s not necessary there.

But you have to be ready to be patient for some adjustment to all the games for a better immersion :wink:
I mostly used Small or Normal FOV, with 16:9 resolution in the game. SteamVR SS = 50%, PiTool 1.0, 64-72hz. I don’t use SmartSmoothing. Somehow it doesn’t work correctly with Vorpx.
Basically I tried to follow Ralph’s recommendations:

3 Likes

I’ve been playing for a week in Chronos (Oculus exclusive :sunglasses: ).

Quite interesting and with good immersion, despite the from the 3rd-person view .
The game applied interesting ideas and mechanics.
Although the combat system is quite simple.
But on the other hand there are several types of weapons (about 4-5 in total), pumping stats and weapons.

What is interesting, in this game the age of the character increases with every death, and he even ages visually :wink:

In general, there are quite a lot of interesting ideas, no annoyance, the game really surprises pleasantly. (for example, as in one place, as you pass, some character appears who starts walking after you, if you don’t look at him, and you can hear the steps :sweat_smile: That is, though the game is from the 3rd person, but it is the surveillance camera that is involved player, even to some extent in the gameplay)

Still, high-quality exclusives are released by the Oculus … I am convinced of this not for the first time (the first was Robo Recall, then I played ARKTIKA.1, and now I got to Chronos during the absence of controllers … I really hope that they will be sent to us soon)

Highly recommend to anyone with no controllers. You can start the game directly from PiTool. I play it with PiTool 1.0, Large FOV. Image is awesome in Pimax 8K :star_struck:

2 Likes

Vive controllers arrived today with ebay (I took a couple for $ 168, new, without chargers and a box.), They looked absolutely new.

At first charged, but could not connect. They connected with Pimax through PiTool, but for some reason they were not shown as active and did not work anywhere, although they were green.
Then I rebooted the helmet (through the button), everything became normal :+1:

Just tested in Arizona Sunshine (survival mode).
I have to say, tracking is much better than WMR and so on. It was noticeable, I immediately began to put headshots and went through 23 waves (although not played a long time ago).
In terms of shooting, the Vive sticks are very good: whistle: It is very convenient to aim, nothing shakes, no shiver, no jitters in general.:clap:

The touch pad is quite comfortable, but not really liked the capture buttons. They are some kind of through something … you press on one side - it gives a click on the other, and so on. (apparently this is done because they are universal). Because of this, there is a feeling of some laxity of the design, although in fact all the rules, the controllers are very strong, it is just unusual.
But the most important thing is that the grips are not quite like the buttons are made, they have almost no progress, they have to be compressed with effort. (for some reason, one controller almost doesn’t have a click on one side, but it doesn’t affect the pressure, because it happens on the other side of the palm without problems. You just need to change it to the other side.)
Well, and perhaps this is the biggest complaint to the sticks Vive - capture buttons. It will be inconvenient only in those games where you activate the gripping mode for holding a weapon / something else. Keep them for a long time will be inconvenient.

Otherwise, they are quite comfortable. The trigger has a good move + a clear click at the end. Soft-touch type material from the inside, similar to a little rubber, although it seems to be hard, from the outside smooth plastic. Do not fall out of the hands. By weight - comfortable for me, do not seem heavy, although they look cumbersome. (I always preferred the controllers to feel something in my hands)

The top button is located above the touchpad, the thumb reaches out well when necessary. The service menu button - under the touchpad, also does not accidentally click.

The touchpad itself is comfortable, large, do not compare with the WMR touchpad (there it is really uncomfortable). In this regard, they are much better than WMR controllers, as well as in terms of assembly. WMR controllers compared with them loose.
Ergonomically, they are more suitable for a large palm, in my opinion. Well, with average palms it is quite convenient, but it will take a bit to get used to them after small WMR controllers or Oculus-touch.

In general, I did not regret that I took them. Soon the second base station will arrive and it will be absolutely good. (With one station, playing active 360-games is a bit uncomfortable, you still turn away from the camera from time to time, the tracking of controllers can be a little lost. But it is acceptable to play even with one if you stand facing to the LH-station all the time.)

Interestingly, when charging, they burned orange (“charged”) and did not light up white (“charged”). But then I simply twisted the wire and after a couple of minutes the orange changed to white. Apparently there are some glitches with the indicator for the Viva controllers … Charged a couple of hours, then disconnected / connected the USB cable from the computer, the final white signal came on, непонятно)

I ordered them shockproof covers with ebay, with a basket around the top. They will definitely knock on each other, or on the helmet (as well as any other controllers).
I just tried Beat Saber - I managed to hit the helmet lightly, without any consequences so far)

Tried In Death - just perfect archery with these controllers. In general, I recommend it for all Pimax owners (at least they haven’t released their own controllers yet).

5 Likes

Nice review thanks…!

2 Likes

I, of course, am waiting for Pimax to send us a Sword Sense. But I have already figured out how to use Vive sticks in the future :gift:

something like this:

1 Like

I received today face pads from Aliexpress
Arrived in about 20 days, SDEK.
The quality is not bad, rather soft.
For Pimax 8K, in principle, it will do, but it sits crookedly in places, the shape is not very consistent.
But it’s comfortable on the face, FOV is even wider, because the edges do not constrict + the clearance for the nose is slightly reduced, as it partially fills the ends of the lining. (tested face pad- 10mm)
The feeling that you practically run into the lenses with your eyes. Then it will be necessary to try thicker (12mm).

Summary

4 Likes

Recently I got acquainted with a wonderful game, this is an FPS shooter with pumping character skills and weapons. This game has a very cool weapon and excellent vibration in Vive sticks. It’s just nice to pull the trigger, time after time. You feel almost like a Terminator :sunglasses::sunglasses:

There are 10,000 levels in it! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

And she’s in VR with full controllers support.
(You can play with the gamepad on the monitor, but this is not at all what we need)

This game returns to the good old days shooters like Doom or Quake, but only in full VR, with the pumping of all that is possible, and earning money.

There are very cool monsters, whose limbs fall off, and they so funny start jumping around themselves, watering everything around with blood or shooting at random at all without a head. It’s fun :wink:

About 65 levels have already passed, and this does not even amount to 1% of the game passed

By the way, if you go through at least 10 levels every day, then the game will last for almost 3 years :sunglasses: (Not that all these mini-games which are 2-hour)

In Pimax 8K, it looks great, the optimization is excellent, everything is very smooth at maximum settings.
In general, now it remains for me a game for every day. This is a unique game in VR.

As far as I know, this game was made by one person. Thanks to him! :beer::smiley::ok_hand:

3 Likes