Original SMAS Quality Topic

There are enough pictures and explanations in the Now / Q & A video.

In Windows 10 settings you can change bass boost etc and other enhancements.

The headset speakers will be seen as a USB device, just select it and go into the properties of the speaker to make the adjustments you want to.

Instructions here:

3 Likes

As i wrote a couple of post earlier:

3 Likes

I’ll try it as soon as I get it, see what I can get, but I don’t see it very “plug and play”.

From what I understand the kdmas will be different from the damas in that it will have on-ear speakers instead of floating speakers. I’m pretty sure no images of the kdmas have been released yet.

1 Like

That would mean it is at least as good or actually better than the original Rift audio. I liked that one quite a bit, and the Rift S was obviously in comparison a cheapo solution aiming to cut cost to a higher degree.

From what we could read from a number of users who received the 8KX it appears that the audio is rather Rift S than Rift quality.

So if that is the case, this would yet again be a case of users needing to tinker around to make the Pimax headset perform well.

I already feel like I will have to undergo an extensive trouble-shooting process of a couple of days before I will be able to use the 8KX once it arrives. And although I am trying to follow the flow of information on the forum since 2,5 years, I fear I might inadvertendly miss some crucial bits of information for the proper setting to work of my PC to suit the 8KX and it may suck as a result.
Just imagine how a new user not even aware of all of the issues which have been discussed only in the past few weeks must feel when he opens the box and wants to enjoy great VR.

@mirage335 mentioned a collection of setup tips to be handed to new owners of the 8KX - I think this is absolutely paramount for Pimax to push this actively to new owners, and with push I mean in your face! to have a chance to get more positive than negative feedback for its new headset.

And on the longer run I really really hope Marcin is going to succeed with his efforts to create an automated tool to take care of most of these mods to our system to make the Pimax product shine (and by that justify its rather enormous price tag). I am just afraid that we will see it malfunction at several occasions because user A has some other settings than user B for spec X and Marcin could not anticipate each user’s specific setup. Not to mention that those who ordered an 8KX probably are of the type who do modify their systems frequently for other stuff, and you won’t find vanilla systems on any of our computers… so having the information available in well-structured format in a central, easy to find & accessible location on required mods (and why they are required to allow more tech savy users to find work-arounds if the solution provided by Pimax doiesn’t work on their system) is crucial too.

The obstacles to get the most out of the Pimax hardware are just insanely high, it appears, this really needs to be managed.

2 Likes

what I understood that they look similar, I have heard nothing from real floating dmas (only 1cm)

I am not going to listen to the 2 hours of video again, in that time I earn all three versions twice.

Thus far, the reviews do not seem to be suffering much for lack of this documentation. That said, it does need to be done, and I still plan to get to it. I have had limited time for VR development lately, due to being overwhelmed by hitting every possible obstacle on finishing up an unusually urgent hardware design project.

Audio quality is somewhat subjective. Users who care a lot about bass or maximum loudness may consider KDMAS performance slightly worse than some other headsets. Users who care about flat treble response (that would be me) will likely be very impressed by all three versions based on the response graphs IIRC.

As quoted, Kevin said that kdmas is on ear like DAS and dmas is off ear like index. Let’s wait and see…

1 Like

Whatever customers want, high-end studio quality is not feasible for small sales at a low price.

At some point, when millions of HMDs might wander across the table.

We will see if we can put up some photos of the final DMAS and KDMAS hopefully the week of the 17th.

5 Likes

@Fresco posted this a few days ago.

I also added it to this wiki post.

3 Likes

If you try to sell good /best products why you bring products with less sound quality to the market?

7 Likes

After reading the reviews from various Users so far it sounds like the SMAS is definitely not good enough to be the default audio solution for your flagship product. It would make a lot of sense to change the default audio to the DMAS for the 8KX once it is available.

9 Likes

I think, the simple SMAS is the solution for people, who want use his own highend Headsets. Personally I would never make an downgrade of my Sennheiser.

1 Like

If this is for the availability for people to choose. I had cancelled my order for smas. Sound quality, no screws, delivery time. And I like good Sennheiser sound too.

1 Like

I have screwed old used HD25 Capsules on my Vive DAS.
For my Job, i must replace the capsules after some years of use.
To old for Studiowork, but for Gaming ideal. :grin:

3 Likes

I’m a big sennheiser fan myself, wearing a pair even as I type this. My daily driver is the GSP600, upgraded from the 363D. The old one was the longest lasting daily driver piece of electronics I’ve ever used.

4 Likes

and then comes valve, with an 120HZ Cutoff :rofl:

Does it really matter? If the included sound is so bad that people are removing the audio strap to mod on a vive strap on a 1300$ device don’t you think there’s an issue? What’s even the point of the smas then? Alot of people would rather have nothing there so that they could properly wear headphones than this audio solution. It really upsets me that you have to understand what people are talking about but your playing dumb about it.

9 Likes