Original SMAS Quality Topic

I honestly don’t care what was reported there.
I’ve followed pimax progress extensively.
Pimax day streams, q&a after videos, read through all comments, watch every pimax video from every ces, all review videos, sebastiens videos, interviews, read through practically everything in the forums.

Believe it or not, i really care about how well pimax do & im interested in their products & progress.
Unortunately I find myself complaining more than saying good things.
This isn’t any agenda. I just say what I see. Praise when things are good & make it known when things are bad.

We’ve had positive hype about smas several times (which i will dig out) & unfortunately now its in users hands, its all fallen flat

11 Likes

Ok… you don’t care what was reported but please actually allow (or even utilize) for some context when you frame your arguments.

There are 3 mas not two and the discussion was about early samples about what ultimately became the kdmas.

1 Like

What are you even talking about?
I dont care about that because you are deflecting. As usual.
Who said anything about only 2 mas?

So when you previously told us the smas was “quite amazing”
Saying you could only report on what you were seeing at the time?
So you’re saying The version from pimax day was that good but they downgraded it?

3 Likes

Not deflecting at all - I actually put the frequency response chart up of the production unit. Nothing ambiguous about that. Of course you ignore that and go way back to almost 1 year ago when I was talking about a prototype. Do you even realize what you are doing?

So who’s deflecting - you who points out a discussion about a prototype from almost 1 year ago and ignores subsequent developments and data? or me who actually shows the frequency response chart of the production device (and you ignore)?

I pointed out 1 example where you made it sound really great from a year ago.
The tone only started changing when people stared testing them with their own ears

5 Likes

Hmmm… Makes sense :beers::sunglasses::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

6 Likes

Once again the versions we were testing at the time ultimately evolved into what we call the KDMAS now.

Thank you @Heliosurge for finding that last comment.
That was the one I was looking for.

4 Likes

Why did the good audio turn in to the KDMAS and new, bad audio was used for the SMAS?

4 Likes

I don’t think the smas audio is bad at all, it’s a notch above the quest. It helps a lot if you adjust the steam audio settings manually. Evaluating that is clearly a subjective thing but some people do indeed place more value on very strong bass performance which the smas does not possess.

People were asking for above the ear, over the ear and on the ear. The above the ear needed to be small enough where you could fit headphones under it if you so wished. (some have very high end headphones).

Lots of iterations existed before CES but the CES version ended up too quiet and the driver a notch *below the quest and the sound chamber wasn’t finished yet. After CES it received the sound chamber and better drivers which improved the volume a great deal. The housing parts were then reduced in size and the thumbscrew added so the assembly could be quickly upgraded if the user wish it.

The hard part on what ended up being the KDMAS was getting it to work well with all the headsets. We experimented a lot with different drivers and ear pads to wind up with the final version.

No people were asking for Index Audio like solution off ear. Not Above.

10 Likes

To make you Baker happier for the lower price. xD

3 Likes

I don’t think there is much point in postiing the history. KS Backers know what was asked. No need to search for the quotes. Don’t you think?

1 Like

You would think so, but some seem to deny things & need reminding

3 Likes

So not only being misleading, but an outright bait-and-switch, check.

4 Likes

Whatever happened to Sweviver? I know he is working on experience software but he has been silent .

I upgraded in November so whenever my Pimax arrives this year, I plan to mod mine with the Vive DAS speakers that are on my 5K+. It’s unfortunate that I feel compelled to mod a supposed top of the line VR headset, but its because Pimax chose to stick the terrible audio on it. Yes I know the deluxe audio is coming and I selected it, but god knows when that’ll arrive. It’s already been 8 months delay on the headset and I’m just not holding my breath for the DMAS speakers regardless what they say.

1 Like

To be honest, the Vive speakers are acoustically dangerous waste.

BTW, you are a backer, for you is the KDMAS.

1 Like

While the Vive DAS isn’t exactly premium audio, I’m betting that it’s still beyond comparable to the crappy SMAS.

2 Likes

the SMAS never intended to be a final solution
it is for users who want to use their own audio solution with a replaceable rudimentary function.