OpenComposite - Play SteamVR games without SteamVR

It’s not my list :slight_smile:

it’s oculus/revive not my entry
there should be another entry oculus/pitool
I have not tested with revive i’m not using it at all so i don’tknow.

EDIT: i’ve changed steamvr enty and added the new entry for oculus/pitool accordingly

sorry for the confusion

2 Likes

No problem. As a beginner I was confused that You can run PC2 without PP according to the list so thanks for the update and clarification.

Actually OpenComposite might work with 5k/8k as well, I am experimenting right now. But here’s the question: how to make OVR_Launcher to pass parameters to the game? @Sean.Huang?

2 Likes

so I was able to launch Raceroom using my version of OC without StreamVR. Game displays fine, but cannot connect to the server, probably some security thing.

rF2 fails to start with error code 193.

But point is that we could potentially run OpenVR games without SVR, there are just a few problems to solve :slight_smile: That could possibly lead to better framerates, because it will cut vrserver.exe out of the chain.

2 Likes

@TheIronWolf
Please let me just get this straight to be absolutely sure I understand the implications.

You were able to launch PiTool, OpenComposite, no other support programs, and your VR application, which at least correctly displayed some 3D graphics to the headset, or could have.

In principle, neither SteamVR, nor any other Steam related component, nor any Oculus software needed to be installed.

Only your VR application, GPU drivers, PiTool, and OpenComposite, and MS Windows 10 were required to be installed.

An internet connection is not required to run or install any dependencies, except possibly MS Windows 10, unless the VR application specifically requires it (ie. there is no dependency on ‘the cloud’).

If true, it might be possible to revise my PVRHome hook to run Virtual Desktop without easily faliable dependencies, which would greatly help when all physical monitors attached are dummy headless ghost plugs.

Please confirm at your earliest convenience this is exactly correct. Thank you.

1 Like

Keep in mind in theory you should be able to run virtual desktop in Oculus mode without Oculus Home installed.

@park has performed some tutorials for launching steam games in Oculus mode that normally required PP in OpenVR(Steam) mode.

I was able to launch Everspace from Steam desktop in Oculus mode in SteamVR. Very necessary as it was completely unplayable in OpenVR mode(first time considered refunding the game). Textures and major jitter/studder and other instabilities in SteamVR mode.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that’s not how it works. I was able to launch R3E OpenVR game using OVR_Launcher_x64. I used OC to convert OpenVR to libOVR calls (Oculus API), and OVR_Launcher_x64 somehow converts Oculus API calls into calls that Pimax driver can understand. OVR_Launcher_x64 requires oculus binaries. I was able to see R3E in HMD but game failed to connect to the game server.

While it would be nice to avoid SVR, which is the winner of the worst software on our Planet for sure, I doubt above chain will gain performance, because OVR_Launcher_x64 is involved. I am sure we have smart programmers here, and I’d love to hear explanation/insights how exactly OVR_Launcher works.

I think the only viable real solution is to rewrite SVR in open source and load Pimax driver directly. In my view, there are two reasons for doing that:

• no more forced, unpredictable, unstable SVR updates
  • I do not understand who came up with cross process design (involving vrserver) in a first place. I think we’ll have better performance if everything is done in game process.

I am planning to attempt doing just that, but it might be above my head :slight_smile:

EDIT: Yes, Pimax direct experience without SVR/OVR_Launcher would be awesome.

3 Likes

Rewrite SVR in open source… probably a good idea. A generic frame buffer compositor - just send bitmaps with transparency - would be extremely helpful, compared to all the complexity of SVR overlays.

Regarding OVR_Launcher_x64, I take it then that it requires Oculus binaries at launch? Not just to modify the executable? That would be unfortunate indeed.

@Heliosurge Good point. I will try that.

3 Likes

It will not be as simple, because it will also need to support skybox and overlays, I also would like to have a desktop view. But you got the idea right :slight_smile:

You can experiment with OVR_Launcher. See the log file, see in procmon what it does, let me know if you figure it out. To launch game in oculus emulation pass path to .exe to OVR_Launcher. This thread contains binaries needed: https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-play-project-cars2-on-pimax-8k-5k-without-parallel-projections-and-steamvr/18644

3 Likes

Opencomposite is essentially revive for Oculus.

1 Like

I would like to see overlays done by the overlay apps themselves, rather than the compositor. Giving all apps access to raw position/center data, and having all apps write to the frame buffer with ordered layers.

That would avoid the problem of SteamVR insisting all overlays must be 2D flat textures only, which results in the only curved overlay I know of (workinvr) using a series of vertical 2D flat textures.

1 Like