New SteamVR Update Disables Pimax Headsets

@risa2000 I agree that Pimax can make their driver software better, but it is still unacceptable that the addons/drivers cannot be re-enabled without a headset connected when the Pimax driver may not be the culprit. On the newer version, it disables all addons including Pimax, and there is no way to disable safe mode anymore without a headset connected to SteamVR.

3 Likes

I believe by editing SteamVR config file (posted above by @dillanski) you should be able to enable particular 3rd party drivers to run even in a safe mode.

1 Like

I think this has been somewhat fixed in beta 1.10.30, start-up/shutdown settings should be available even when no HMD is present.

4 Likes

I only stumbled upon it because I’m always having to edit the config files each time I swap back to the vive pro , which in my case will only ever work in safe mode.
seems like it’s a different config file that needs editing every time steam update

2 Likes

HELP…

I just bought a Pimax 8k plus yesterday. I installed PiTool and it shows that my headset is connected. When viewing through the headset I see the purple moon which I think is the default screen for Pimax.

However when I turn on Steam VR, it says “headset cannot be detected” due to some ‘add-ons being removed’

I read through this thread and it seems like the only way to fix the issue is to tinker with the steamvr.vrsettings file. However since I’ve never been able to even get my first game on or connect my Pimax to SteamVR… the steamvr.vrsettings DOES NOT show up in my steam folder…

What should I do? I am desperately lost…

1 Like

I assume you’ve tried rebooting. I’ve never heard of the “add-ons being removed” error before. It sounds like SteamVR may be missing some files. You might try uninstalling SteamVR, which might not be properly installed, and then reinstalling it. I don’t know if this will fix your problem, but I’m not sure what else the problem could be.

Open Steam, go to Library, search for SteamVR, right-click SteamVR, select Properties, select the Local Files tab, and click Uninstall Tool. Then when it’s done, reinstall SteamVR.

3 Likes

Okay so I’ve tried uninstalling steam and reinstalling steam. and then installing steam vr - didn’t work
I tried uninstalling steam vr again (per advise from ‘neal_white_iii’) and reinstalling - still didn’t work

Please see below attached picture of the issue. As you can see PiTool detects my headset. I see the purple moon in the headset. And even the basestation. Except my controllers as they are not turned on.

However if you look to the right where SteamVR is, the box is empty. It doesn’t detect my Pimax 8K Plus and there’s additional error windows stating “Some add-ons blocked” and “Headset display disconnected”

Oh also I’m attaching picture of my config folder, it’s pretty much empty except for 3 files because I reinstalled steam. The steamvr.vrsettings is nowehere to be found… :disappointed:

PiTool and Steam VR:

Steam Config Folder:

I’m really bumped… :weary: Besides getting the Pimax I quickly splurged close to $150 bucks on a few VR Games, excited to give the Pimax a go… and instead, was met with this really disconcerting error message. If anyone could help me please I need every advise I can get. I would truly, truly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Click manage add-ons, and re-enable the Pimax stuff

2 Likes

I can’t… This is what pops up when I click “manage add-ons”

Ah, update your Steam VR to latest beta and try again

4 Likes

Thanks for the info! It sounds like this was that SteamVR bug I heard about, where you can get “trapped” if SteamVR enters “safe mode”.

4 Likes

There is a fix above to prevent safe mode on Pimax driver.

2 Likes

Am I understanding right that the best thing to do is simply not turn on a Pimax headset at the moment? Unless you want to go through all that stuff above? Or is that stuff above likely to be a requirement to use Pimax headsets in general going forward?

Recently mirage335 posted that the configuration for the steamvr beta version might have moved to %LOCALAPPDATA%\openvr

I’m out of steam so to speak, so I can neither confirm nor deny if the settings are there, could be a total waste of time.

4 Likes

I just checked. I have copies of steamvr.vrsettings in both areas (incl Steam\config).

I had to restore ‘“maxRecommendedResolution” : 12288,’ because it was missing. If anyone is seeing blurry low-res images in VR, this is probably why.

3 Likes

Check the openvr folder. This is where the config file moved to.

3 Likes

There is a %LOCALAPPDATA%\openvr, but here’s what I have.
{
“config” :
[
“D:\games\steam\config”
],
“external_drivers” :
[
“C:\Users\BuggyShit\AppData\Local\HTC\Viveport\SteamVR\htc_rr”,
“C:\Program Files\Pimax\SteamVRSupport\drivers\aapvr”
],
“jsonid” : “vrpathreg”,
“log” :
[
“D:\BuggyShit\steam\logs”
],
“runtime” :
[
“D:\BuggyShit\steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR”,
“D:\BuggyShit\steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\”
],
“version” : 1
}

I’ll guess that you’re pasting the content the openvrpaths.vrpath file and

{
“config” : [ “D:\games\steam\config”]

means steamvr will read the steamvr.vrsettings file from the steam config folder.

4 Likes

Yeah. Figured that out after posting. Thanks.

I’m not sure if this is related but my pimax stopped working after pitool finally updated for the first ime since last summer when I got this headset.
it’s showing no issues but after I launch SteamVR it says HMD in standby move to wake up which I do but it just keeps displaying Pimax logo and nothing ever works…