New PiPlay version 2.0.7 Beta is available for downloading

Hi Michael, this GPU will be added to our list in further PiPlay version, thanks for your feedback.

By the way, have you solved the connection issue of Pimax in PiPlay 2.0.2.33?

1 Like

Hi, we discussed these two topics in our internal meeting. Debug tool will be added in further PiPlays for sure, as for ā€œmouse emulationā€, itā€™s pending since itā€™s hard to achieve at present.

1 Like

Hi, did you use PiPlay 2.0.2.33? The latest firmware version is 1.0.0.265.

1 Like

Sounds like itā€™s definitely worth giving it a try.
Thanks for the tip.

yes, it shows 1.0.0.265 but the upgrade failed so it asked me to contact support. @PIMAX-Support

@PIMAX-Support kindly ping, how do I upgrade firmware manually to fix this failed .265 version?

Anyone running 2.0.2.33 with a nolo?
Was waiting so long for project cars 2, now its released but i cant get things working ;(((

No matter how i try it always shows this:

although base station is enabled, paired and hmd tracker is green.

1 Like

Iā€™m about to buy one of these to use for movies instead of my Oculus Rift. What is the best PiPlay version to install to get the best quality and ease of ensuring 1440p? Thx

1 Like

The current newest piplay should work for your purposes. Though if there is an issue between support & the community we will get you up & running. Piplay 1.2.97 is also working well.

What is your computer setup?

Iā€™ve got a laptop with a i7 6700HQ and an external GPU dock with a Titan X Pascal. Since I can easily get 60fps with 1440p, should I leave the asynchronous/time warp option off and boost quality value to 2 or 3?

Tbh its something you will want to test once your headset arrives to see what works best. Fo movie watching i would imagine no need for warp. But i maybe wrong.

@Sjef what is your opinion on this?

Ah yes, this problem.

I upgraded today to the 2.0.2.33 version because the .97 was drifting something awful.

Restarting doesnā€™t fix the issue, but Iā€™d recommend doing it first. After running into this problem over and over, I ended up having to do the following to get things working right.

1. Close and quit Piplay and Steam, and Noloā€™s software.

2. Unplug the Pimax headsetā€™s usb port (hdmi can be left in) and unplug the NoloVr usb port. Make sure all Nolo controllers and base stations are turned off.

3. Open task manager and click more details in the ā€˜processesā€™ tab if not done so already

4. Scroll down under ā€˜Background Processesā€™ and close/end the following:

• pi_server
  • PiService
  • PiServiceLauncher
  • VR Server
  1. Double check that the previous four processes do no auto-open. You might have to set Piplay to not launch at start if pimaxā€™s keep starting, or you might have to close those three quickly.

2. Turn on the Nolo base station

3. Plug in the Pimax headset

4. Place the Nolo head piece within range of the base station and plug in its usb cable. Check for green light on the base and the head piece

5. Launch Piplay. DO NOT hit recenter, but magnetic calibration can be conducted if desired. Donā€™t ask why, because I donā€™t know why honestly the recenter causes issues, but it has been a consistent factor for failure for me so far. Also the magnetic calibration is not to great at preventing driftā€¦(@PIMAX-Support)

6. Click on the chain link in the bottom right corner to verify Noloā€™s connection with Piplay

7. Launch Steam normally, NOT steamvr.

8. In Piplayā€™s home screen, scroll down to any game and click on the ā€˜SteamVRā€™ with a square and arrow. This will launch SteamVr.

9. Open up the display mirror and verify positional tracking is working. Then run the room setup as ā€˜Standing Onlyā€™, not the full room experience. (This step has to be done EVERY time you launch steam vr with PImax and Nolo no matter what) I suggest leaving the headset on the ground during the entire process if in Noloā€™s 360 ceiling setup.

You might notice I left out pairing the controllers in step (8). For the first go-round, I would try to only get Noloā€™s head piece working first, as I ran into some issues where a controller wouldnā€™t be detected, then nothing would be. That required a restart and doing the steps all over again. Once things started consistently working, Iā€™ve been pairing the controllers in step (8) with little to no problem so far (only one restart).

Once in SteamVR, however, you should be able to connect them without issue for sure.

Step (13) is important to getting games and such working with no issues, at least for me anyway. Do note you can run the room scale at any time after the SteamVr launch, it wonā€™t hurt.

Yeah, its seems like a lot and is annoying, but once I started doing these steps every time (restart not required usually) I had no issue with getting Piplay and Nolo to work in SteamVr. Spent a few hours and some experimenting, and this seems to be the best strategy so far. And by ā€œevery timeā€ I mean it, SteamVR will not work for me right for some reason without these steps.

And a question for youā€¦ are you using the front facing or 360 Nolo experience?

3 Likes

@htd2007 Recently we found that some users encountered this issue of firmware update failure.

Please try these steps:

1. Download and install DFU driver: MEGA
  2. Download manual tool: http://community.openmr.ai/t/release-pimax-4k-firmware/20
1 Like

Iā€™m using front facing, with no controllers, and iā€™ve tried all things described in your post except for ā€˜launching a game from piplay instead of starting steamvr from steamā€™. Iā€™ll try it again, thank you.

I cant even get my pimax working when nolo basestation is off and headset marker not connected, have to unplug base station all the time which is a bit annoying (means plugged device prevents pimax from working even if all nolo devices are turned off).

How does this looks like? I couldnā€™t see any notifications there about nolo

@PIMAX-Support

Is there a way to completely disable the Pimax headset from being the default audio device? Every time I disable this feature in Piplay yet it does nothing the next time I launch Piplay or when I plug in the Pimax headset. I donā€™t really think plugging in the headset should automatically swap Windowsā€™ default sound output deviceā€¦

Hey have you tried changing this in Windows Audio properties?

Make sure the headset is plugged in when changing default devicd

So Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m the only user thatā€™s noticed this but since I wanna say the 1.2.* versions thereā€™s been this weird screen tearing on the HMD. I thought it would get better as you guys improve your render engine and Iā€™ve even noticed that it disappears and reappears periodically. Can anyone else chime in on this issue? I plan on getting the 8k but Iā€™m not really just trying to shell out 500 for more fov. The flickering definitely ruins immersion and invalidates the progress you guys have made in another areasā€¦

@Enopho said if your using Windows with the creatorā€™s update that i believe it activates the option of game dvr ? & to disable it.

Trying new version with nolo.

My nolo still doesnt work ;(

1 Like

PIMAX-Support the tool download only has 248/251 dfu. where can I download 265?

also when I try to run the tool it complains about missing DLLs.