Need your advice on a 2080 model (and got scam'd)

So Black Friday is going to happen very soon
and i need to upgrade my beloved GTX 970 to something i can afford.
I run a i5 4670k and gonna upgrade that later on as well, cuz bottleneck and overall.
Which 2080 model should i buy money/performance wise?
I aim for a 600-700€ (germany) deal during Black Friday.

Feel free to add any comment that might help me out, ANY!
Much love,
Futurist.

1 Like

What type of VR games are your targeting?

2 Likes

Mostly the common games. I dont plan on playin’ games, that are not made for VR.
I own VorpX, but its not a must. I target games like Pavlov, Beatsaber and Population: One.

I just want some good advice, not that i buy one with rly bad cooling or other issues.
For example u can also note down which NOT to buy.

1 Like

Truthfully 1080 ti or 2080 should be good for a wide variety of games.

1080 ti you might be able to get cheaper; new or used.

Asus, MSI, Zotac & Gigabyte are often good brands.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer Heliosurge.
I wont take the 10 series because no USB Type C for next Gen VR Headsets,
which might be Valves new Hardware. Sadly in Germany 1080ti starts at 900€ up to 1300€.
What i would like to know is, which specific model. Or doesnt it matter at all? Im scared to buy the worst one.

1 Like

I recently bought a MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio Video Card and like it very much. I can run Elite Dangerous in 4K (2D) resolution and my framerate is mostly 90-120 FPS. It’s normally quiet and doesn’t make a lot of noise under load (quieter than my last few GPUs). It has turned out to be an excellent over clocker (in tests), although I’m not exceeding the factory-default-overclock in daily use.

One thing to note: There’s a bug in the “Dragon Center” app. If you just click the “OC” button, stray threads are left running. Your CPU will be pegged at 100% use (on all CPU threads). This aren’t idle threads; your in-game FPS will be adversely affected.

Therefore, I set up one of the custom profiles to be the Factory Over Clock (1860 MHz / mem: 7140 MHz). The non-overclocked “quiet” settings are 1515 / 7000. I’ve set the second user profile to my max-stable OC, 1950 / 8000 (+28.7% and +14.3%). The GPU can’t reach 2000 MHz and it’s possible the memory could be clocked higher, but I didn’t want to risk going higher.

Also note, I don’t recommend using the “Zero Frozr” setting (ON by default), since the GPU temp is allowed to go “too high” in my opinion (60°C). You can barely hear the fans on idle, so it’s fine to leave this setting OFF, which keeps the GPU at 42°C.

My only concern with this card is that I really wanted to get the “Ti” version of this card, but I had to replace a previous card ASAP, and the Ti version simply wasn’t available at the time.

I recommend this card, with the above caveats.

4 Likes

Cool just keep in mind the Vrlink is just an all in one cable. As for brand any I mentioned are usually good runners. Though missed EVGA. Otherwise I think they all perform similar.

1 Like

Wow. Thank you for your very long and detailed reply, neal_white_iii! <3
I will note this card down for my “what to get” list.
Sadly i can not afford a TI card, because i highly doubt a 700€ deal pop up.
Again, thank you very much for your reply.

3 Likes

I’ll keep an eye out for cards with these brands. Much appreciated, Heliosurge!

1 Like

You’re welcome. That’s from my review on Newegg (not yet public).

Also, the card is HUGE. It’s very long and takes up 4 slots; 2 for the card and 2 more for the optional support bracket (which I recommend you install). The RGB LED lighting is pretty, but wasted since my case has no window.

3 Likes

Also cards face down :laughing:

2 Likes

Well, if one cares that much, one would put Computer upside down. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just always amazed me at the nice graphics they slapped on the side of the card you wouldn"t see even with a window. Lol

At least know they have a riser cable mount to fix that. :smirk:

1 Like

An advice on 2080 model - do not go for 2080. 1080ti is the best price / performance choice (considering top lvl of graphic cards). Second hand 1080 (with at least 1 year guarantee left) is the best choice. New connector is useless for pimax.

2 Likes

I highly doubt to get a reasonable deal over here in germany.
You can check the prices here. 900-1300€.
Thank you for your response, industria. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Know that New connector is just not useable with current cable included. Doesn’t mean a new cable once available can’t be purchased.

1 Like

Sad, i have purchased my 1080ti for 666 euro 1 year (10 months) ago on ebay ^^

1 Like

500 euro, new :wink: (rechnung 3 monate alt, garantie von saturn)

update: already sold.

1 Like

BRO. I JUST GO A BRAND NEW AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB FOR 430€ OFF EBAY!!!

5 Likes

I think that’s @Enopho’s dual beasts. :beers::smirk::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes