Natural Medicine vs Manufactured Sponsored Medicine

Perhaps better move our side discussion to another thread. Not that anybody thinks any of this helps against Corona…

2 Likes

Vikadin(sp?) Comes to mind and far too many other things. Validimine(sp?) Babies etc…

Agreed not like discussing multi vitamins and immune reinforcing supplements. :smirk:

With good practises like Wearing Masks(not just for those who are sick - Established here by a nurse), Frequent hand washing and 1 to 2 m safe distance. Etc…

1 Like

Technically this would be easy to define: Stuff that has a significant advantage over a placebo with a big enough test set of people. To say it cautious, I wouldn’t put my hands in fire that medicine manufacturers don’t sometimes cheat to get some stuff that was expensive to develop (but whichs helpful effect can be questioned) to market…

That said, I’m not sure whether “natural” is always better. E.g. some of the most toxic incredents known are natural (Botulinumtoxine from bacteria, Maitotoxine from alga, rizine from a plant).
So at least I’m not so much distinguising between natural and chemical, but more between helpful, not helpful and necessary and not necessary.

Oh I understood the definition well enough. It’s the people doing the studies that are often circumspect.

1 Like

yepp, probably everywhere where a lot of money can be made there are a few people who try to cheat.

2 Likes

Talking the Homeopathy definition of dilution in mind, i do use a 2% solution “essential oils” on my dogs. Cedar oil and orange oil for fleas and ticks and eucalyptus and lemon oils for mosquitos. No tics, no fleas no mosquitos and clear heartworm tests annually.
No drugs in the blood stream that cost hundreds every year and when i hear detractors who question the wisdom, i say read the ingredients on many flea collars. Many contain cedarwood and peppermint essential oils.
Mosquitos and many other insects (bees in particular) attacked me in biblical numbers. I think i killed their queen in a previous life :grinning:. I use the eucalyptus and lemon solution on myself, as well, and now enjoy nature unfettered.

2 Likes

I think a homeopathist would say “you don’t do this right” when somebody uses a vastly overdosed 2% mixture.
If you have the impression that it helps against Mosquitos (and you are not in a country where your life depends on not getting bitten), then - why not.
I personally would use DEET&Co e.g. in Africa, but not for fun, like here in Europe where the worst thing that can happen is that it itches. (Ticks excluded, but against TBE there is a highly effective vaccination)

1 Like

No I am not in Africa and my usage is not an impression but what has worked as I said for me for several years.
The percent was based on a vet recommendation for safety from allergic reactions and has proven to be sufficiently efficacious, for my needs.
While not the only oils used (there are several) these four work for my geographical location (types of tics) from my years of use.

There are places in the Canadian north where I also would use a Deet based product. I however live in the city with a few parks and trees. Not a one size fits all solution. Only used as a point of order regarding natural remedies.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.