My VR experience in sims feels like a camera on rails (need help maybe?)

Okay so either i am missing a key settings or my mind is just not right. The issue I am having is that when i play Elite-D or project cars 2 I don’t get a sense of velocity. In ED for example i get a glimpse of what i should be feeling every now and then in Up and down when i go to dock but when i am in supercruise, regular flight or when i toggle flight assist on and off while in combat I feel nothing just camera like stuck on my head while i look around. Heck , i can tilt my HOTAS stick and tumble around 360 round and arounbd not a single bit of sensation :(. Project Cars 2 i just see the environment going by me no feel of speed

Any Idea or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

2 Likes

I can’t say off hand. But in my xp even with 6DOF I don’t have that feeling of speed & such. I think in my xp only a motion rig would give me that level of immersion; though haven’t tried Fans.

I did find 3dof on an Oculus DK2 on a motion platform with wind did work nicely on rollercoaster sims compared to without

Cool tx for the reply helps to know i at least don’t have a screw loose @_@ few. Maybe its the respective game granted I cant seem to get Eve configured right with the 5K and my HOTAS the drift in motion their when i first tried on a samsung odyssey felt very neat stead on rails.

1 Like

It can be multiple things.

I find frame rate makes a big difference. An example is on Dirt Rally at 90fps I lose my stomach over large jumps and can even find myself bracing for impact on landing but at 45fps even with ASW on the rift (and all hmds I’ve tried) it’s just a game I’m sitting and playing, no losing the stomach, no bracing for impact, no physical ‘oh sh*t’ moment when you’re about to crash. They’re worlds apart for me.

3 Likes

You might also want to try changing the camera lock(PC2).

1 Like

Flinnt I recall you said your headset arrived. 5k?

Interesting maybe somehow i just need more than 90fps :frowning: to get the sensation i am looking for. Or sense i have been running my pc output to my Sony Bravia i should prob switch it to my pc monitor. Ima try few things out

1 Like

Yes 5k. I wasn’t able to get it a comfortable experience but I haven’t had time to play with the soft ipd offset yet either.

1 Like

Yeah getting a good fit can be challenging. I have xp eyestrain now using the soft ipd to induce it so hopefully it helps.

1 Like

Try running the game without smart smoothing, maybe that helps.

Could also be the IPD setting leading to inperfect 3D perception.

2 Likes

Yesterday I made another small comparison between “smart smoothing” and the lack of a few frames from the top border of the update screens in Skyrim.

So I confirm that the shortage of frames from 5-10 fps looks nicer than doubling objects from “smart smoothing”.

So I never turn on smart smoothing. With it, the experience is only getting worse, even compared to if there are not enough fps from the border of the refresh rate of the screens In any kind of games.

3 Likes

That’s good to know and other people should try it for comparison. Props for experimenting with the settings.

Unfortunately I can’t share my own experience but I’m looking forward to blowing by traffic while flooring it in 12th gear when returning to my ETS2 trucking business one day. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I will try to further elaborate my impressions of “smart smoothing”.

I compared the lack of frames from the upper limit of the refresh rate and “smart smoothing”.

I just “ran” sideways from left to right from one point to another, and watched the object in front of me.

1. With the “smart smoothing” turned on, the object in front of me was constantly doubled and it terribly unnerved, it was very noticeable. All other objects in the background also had no clear outlines. This is generally very similar to ghosting (like the Pimax 4K).

2. Without “smart smoothing” turned on, but with a shortage of 3-8 fps, the object was almost always smooth, only occasionally twitching slightly. And it almost did not bother me, it was playable and beautiful.

Therefore, I do not recommend anyone to use “smart smoothing”, a useless option (at least in its current version).

4 Likes