My Vive Pro 2 Review! - Is it worth the upgrade?

You know what you can do. Play Skyrim on the OG Vive for few hours, then go back to the Vive Pro 2, and fixed. You will feel great about your purchase! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

i think non 3090 cards arent for high res hmds anymory, today took my g2 (2160x2160) and with 150ss rate i got plenty of vram utilized on high settings with SAA and MSAA as well

i guess what htc can do later is center sharp area and perhipherial blurr to address old gpus blur issue

just put 100ss disabled all AA on 100s i have 3156x3092 and vmemory utilization 15.8, 40fps

wait, what? Its VP2 is utilizing 21.4 GB ram? HTC really have to optimize their software. That is unacceptable. My 3080TI maxes at 12GB

Edit: Maybe DCS poor optimization of their engine may also be the culprit

please read what i wrote - its G2 HP, my vp2 is still on the go

1 Like

:joy::rofl::joy: nope - normal in the syria map on max textur details.
I think, you should play a round FS2020 community content with the 8kx. 24Gb are not enought :crazy_face:

3 Likes

…Wow, seriously?! :flushed: :sweat_smile:

VRAM allocation isn’t the same thing as vram usage. This comes up all the time.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say so

on lower resolutoins Vram isnt a big issue, but once you get to these hi res HMDs & if you especially use supersampling to get image sharper on those 3k+ per eye resolutoins (and of course high qualit textures & other settings - you bought a high res hmd to not set all to low right) memory is extremely viable.

if it will be possible for a resources consuming game to start it will use page file & will stutter & behave way worse than on a system with enough memory for its usages, we don’t say about pan cake titles like beat saber, but something more serious with textures - 10GB of Vram is a joke nowadays.

You can’t crank up VRchant resolution high enough you will get black screen or it will crash it just too much of resolution there

3 Likes

So what’s sharper. Pro 2 or 8kx ?

@Sonsolar
8kx is sharper and obviously FOV is much bigger, VP2 has better blacks, color, and contrast, less screen door, runs better, and tracks better. VP2 has alot more glare.

I would say they are not far apart, but the 8KX is sharper for me.

2 Likes

I also saw reports that VP2 could read 8th line while in G2 9th (in ROV test), but dude later deleted his statements as with setup VP2 he could setup in couple of days to read 9th line in ROV test too, I believe firmware is limmitting the resolution of the HMD & sometimes it pops in (resolution) sometimes not, also some people may have issues with lenses (as ones report edge to edge clarity while others worse than g2, for me personally whatever I did with G2 sweetspot & clarity region was very small, only in center of screen, with modded mask, without gasket, with different settings, tilting etc, I doubt lenses quality is different, maybe just vision types/IPD ranges or whatever can be the reason)

But I saw many ppl stated VP2 is sharper than 8kx but slightly less sharp than G2. Anyway Ill have mine in 1-2 weeks & my 8kX should arrive tomorrow (fingers grossed it has no bad pixels & other issues )

3 Likes

weird, technically the Vive pro 2 should be sharper than the 8kx

HTC really should look further into their software. The 8KX should be noticeably less sharp than the VP2

2 Likes

I wear glasses but have never worn them while playing vr( I’m near sited). I have owned 90% of consumer headsets. For some reason I have to wear them with VP2. I was very unsatisfied with the hmd for the first day and a half and was thinking of returning it. I was getting horrible glar and couldn’t hit the sweet spot or get a clear image. So I figured I would try my glasses and BAM I was blown away by the difference. The glare was reduced by alot and the clarity and sweetspot were more than acceptable. Is now my main headset.

3 Likes

@VR-TECH
All I can say is that for me it’s not. I do think it has better image quality overall. It’s hard to say why it’s not could be different things. Lenses, maybe they put a little blur to minimize screen door effects, maybe software?

1 Like

You are not the only one. I really think there is a rendering problem with the Vive software.

3 Likes

also ppl should stop using for comparison steamvr home, it’s just too unpredictable & has dynamic behaviour, what comes on mind where resolution is easy to check:

Pavlov (requires restart wheh you change SS but it renders image very clean especially in close range where are your hands & weapon), VRChat, helsplit arena, the blue, basically almost any stand alone application but few (like HL:A, steamvr home etc with it’s dynamic resolution etc)

People often just hook HMD up, start the steam & do comparison, e.g. my VP1 looks like garbage in steamvr home due to SDE, but it really shines in games like HL:A, hellsplit arena etc, those dynamic resolution titles just spoil first impression & you need to try different apps & settings. Also lenses & vision difference (near/far sighted) plays a big role.

3 Likes

I’ve done comparisons across multiple games. In some instance because of the way the headset handles reprojection you can’t tell if it’s as sharp because there a double image. In other games like Medal of Honor, Alyx etc I’ve been able to load the game standing in the exact same spot to compare scene’s.

Tbh, my quest 2 at the same settings is actually much sharper. BUT I did finally notice that the VP2 is cable of being sharper…just not for people with wide ipd’s. I’m at 70mm and if I physically take the headset off and gradually move it away from my eyes it actually sharpens up the image. The problem is, it would have to be further than the distance from my eyes that even the stock foam gasket provides.

Seems like the way these lenses were designed, it’s another Pimax situation. It will work great for some, (hence all the people saying it’s sharper than the G2), but won’t work for myself and others. Bummer.

Good review.
Just returned mine after a week of test. Long story short too much eye strain and far less clear than my G2.
What really made me decide to return was my first 1hr race in iRacing today. I could not wait for the race to be over and take off the headset.
I did a second race right after the one using the VP2 and going back to my G2 after a week, granted the FOV is smaller, it felt so much more comfortable for my eyes and it made me realize how much clearer the HMD is.
I wanted to like the VP2 so much, but the discomfort was too much and the img quality was a big downgrade from my G2. But this is just me, my head shape, IPD,etc.
I have ordered the 8KX which is coming at the end of the week, I have big hopes for that one too.

5 Likes