My review after upgrading from 5k+

My package arrived yesterday and as there’s still people waiting and browsing the forums for details I thought I’d share my observations.

Comfort
The cloth strap is terrible, as expected. I couldn’t even get it to stay on my head and had to perform Vive Audio Strap surgery before I could try any games.

Design
I like the look. It’s way darker than in the pictures and looks almost black depending on lighting. The chevron only lights up in green. I don’t know it that’s a bug in Pitool or if there’s only green LEDs inside the 8k Plus.

Distortion
On the 5k+ the distortions didn’t annoy me as long as the headset is positioned properly. It’s the same for the 8k Plus and I didn’t really notice any difference. Distortions are still there but they’re no big deal (for me).

Resolution/SDE
When I first stepped into SteamVR it instantly hit me how clear everything looks. It feels like there’s so much detail everywhere that you have been missing.
I used to watch gameplay footage on youtube and think to myself “I wish it looked this good in VR”. Well, now it does.
I can still notice a bit of SDE, even in games, but that fades away as soon as you’re the slightest bit invested in what’s happening in game.
It reminds me of 1080p in that it’s still possible to make out pixels if you concentrate on it but it also feels like this amount of SDE could be the standard for a few years to come and still be “good enough”, like 1080p was for a long time.

26 Likes

Hi! Are you using Large or Normal FOV?

2 Likes

Giving a rate to the review.

Comfort 2
Design 10
Distortion 6
Resolution 9
SDE 8

Another happy Pimax Customer

@PimaxVR @SweViver

Hopefully Pimax will not send others Pimax 8K + / Pimax 8K X to people with strap

Ps @4nd1 Would you like to change my vote? . How much is the comfort (give a rate) with vive audio strap ?

With the Audio Strap it’s more comfortable than the 5k+ due to the Comfort kit. The nose flap is also comfortable and together with the foam blocks out more light than the 5k+ did. I would give it more points for comfort since it’s only a matter of time til we get the MAS, which looks like it’s gonna be even better than the Vive Audio Strap.

2 Likes

Some photos from Aperture Robot Repair:

21 Likes

Congrats with your +! The same here, the Chevron colors won’t change.

Looks very impressive thank u4 taking the time to share your experience. :+1::grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.