My First Impressions / Unboxing / Mini 'Review'

Yeah, that was the in-game settings. Like I said, I’ve not played around with settings like supersampling in Steam or PiTool before, so I’m not that sure what would and wouldn’t work to improve things. Like so many other things, it will be ‘trial and error’ for me. :wink: But thanks for your suggestions, I will give them a go.

1 Like

I wonder where the perceived smaller sweet spot ( I had the same feeling in the 8k+) as e. G the 5k+ comes from. I guess as mentioned smaller screens, but why would be interesting or better if it’s enlargeable.

1 Like

One of the users came up with a theory which could make sense - you notice the loss of detail on the 8KX sooner than on the 5K+ due to thhe higher grade of detail in the sweet spot. So the sweet spot would actually be the same but you didn’t notice that you are outside of it so soon on the 5K+.

2 Likes

I don’t think the smaller screens would have an effect. Imo, the sweet spot is determined by the screen position and the lenses, which haven’t changed. It might simply be that the sweet spot is the same, but perceived to be smaller, since the pixels are smaller and therefore crisper. That is, you can now detect where the sweet spot starts to fade sooner, simply because the center image is of higher quality.

I’ll be sure to compare the sweet spots, once my 8KX arrives.

4 Likes

Could be, I read that also, I am sure that is too some degree a reason for the perception. Still I am not sure if it’s all due to that effect. Especially since I and also I read some others have had the feeling that in those new 8K versions IPD needs to be manually dialed lower then in the 5k+.

I always wanted to measure the mechanical position of the lenses in the 8k+ and the 5k+, but have not found the time, I’ll to that as soon as I am back from Traveling.
I used to have some space left from before min IPD mechanically and not needed the software IPD. In the 8K+ I am at the mechanical minimum and also use software IPD to have a good effect.
Its just guessing, and maybe just the plus in detail, but maybe also the screens are thinner or mechanically a bit different to also add to that effect.

1 Like

so rather than improve things, they’ve actually managed to make the situation worse on the newer headsets?

Thanks for the review. I’m getting a bit concerned about the heat people keep bringing up and wonder if this will cause issues in the future.

5 Likes

I would not go that far, but it does seem different - Maybe it really is the extra sharpness, maybe not… I am just curious to find out… I do have a lens swap planned on the 8k+, maybe that will show more.
But as said elsewhere in the forum, I have never gone back to the 5k+ I really liked, since I got the 8k+ the 8k+ is the only one running and I really like it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.