Maybe a solution for prescription lenses

As far as a solution for prescription lenses goes, that would depend on what problem you wish to solve.

I purchased a set of Ben Franklin style frames for my Rift way back and they work just fine with my Pimax. Coupled with a Vive DAS, putting on and taking the headset off is easy enough, or to loosen for peeking.
I like to peek through the nose gap as I still use my keyboard in some circumstances. When peeking, I want my glasses attached to my face and not my headset. There are times when I go with contact lenses to reduce fogging in more physical games.

I do recall VR LensLab being the announced partner for the lens adapter. Having tried and returned the VRLL Oculus adapters because of poor fitting, it will be interesting to see how such an adapter is affixed to the Pimax in it’s design current form.

2 Likes

Real question does the adapter still magnetically attach?

@peteo
You can buy them here: http://vr-lens-lab.com/product/oculus-rift-lens-inserts/
Be sure you choose Oculus Rift lenses and the option “lenses only”.

@dogbite
Their Oculus adapter are very bad indeed, that’s why I use the 3d print frame for my Oculus. Byt their lenses worth it.

I can tell this solution won’t be compatible with the eye tracking module, as I’m sure common glasses won’t be too (if frame is between pupils and sensors). Consider if you want this module or not, and if you can wait or not before buying 50€ prescription lenses.

2 Likes

Indeed I think for Eyetracking to be compatable with frame adapter it would need to be able to clip to the lens adapter.

1 Like

Exactly. @PimaxUSA any news on this?

1 Like

Getting the frame adapter and the eye tracking to co-exist is something we are working on.

8 Likes

Id think one of the few options when it comes to a way of marrying the two would be to have the prescription lens frame clipping into the rings on the eye tracker and shipping the lens frames with an eye tracker-shaped spacer for when an eye tracker isnt used.

Space is just so tight in the hmd that my (perhaps unimaginative) brain cant see another way.

2 Likes

I thought exactly the same thing.

1 Like

Here’s the final version:

The frame doesn’t disturb, it can be seen on peripheral vision but less than glasses frame ^^

5 Likes

Yeah, there will be so much trouble if eyetracking is not compatable with frame adapter

2 Likes

Well I’d hope that eye tracking would be done soon because waiting for useable prescription less inserts is getting old. Right now all we heard is possibly 2nd half of the year. Do not want to go another 7 months with out the inserts.

1 Like

I’m afraid it will be a very long wait.
The most important is meanwhile people can scratch their lense with common glasses anytime.

1 Like

I want to advertise my different approach:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/im-not-really-the-first-one-prescription-resp-glasses-mount-3d-print-suggestion/19562/2

I could share the files, but especially the adatper to the glasses will not work on any standard glasses. But I could be some kind of inspiration.

1 Like

Ziddan and Korgen, Good job! One question about the adapter, what’s the ipd range on this?

1 Like

I dont wear glasses but as i understood this thing the IPD isn a big deal because the prescription lenses dont have a “sweet spot” like we search for in the HMD optics.

In another thread about this i think i asked about IPD and Korgen or someone else replied that it didnt matter much.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply! I’ve allready the vr labs rift glasses (for the CV1), so will let the adapter printed. Thanks again.

1 Like