Maybe a solution for prescription lenses

Hey ^^

Many of us are waiting for vr frame to add prescrition lenses.
We have these 2 interresting objects on thingiverse:
Pimax 5k/8k interface for narrow faces
VR Lens Lab Oculus Rift mount (unofficial)

I had this idea 2 days ago: why not combining these objects and get something like this:

Just combining isn’t enough, meshes must be edited and unfortunately my 3d skills are a bit limited.
If anyone has time to make this idea real it would be great.

Prescription lenses already exist on vrlenslab
I think it also can be done either with Rift or Vive prescription lenses.

8 Likes

Awesome WiP looks promising! :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

Thanks, but I’m not at ease with 3d softwares. For the screenshot I just placed the 2 stl in Cura.
To get the final objet, it needs some edition I can’t do. If someone can work on it, I give the idea for free (or at least a little mention ^^) :grinning:

2 Likes

Hey, i mashed the two together, no idea if its usable but give it a try if you feel like it.

Ill test print it in a couple of hours, just gotta let the front of a Fallout 3 Pip-Boy 3000 finish.

BE REALLY CAREFUL SO YOU DONT GET SCRATCHES IF TRYING IT, I HAVE NOT TEST PRINTED IT YET AND DO NOT KNOW IF IT WOULD TOUCH THE LENSES.

LINK DEAD, TOOK DOWN NONFUNCTIONAL VERSION:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3613530

2 Likes

It seems great, but I can’t test it. You used the RiftLensAdapter1b file made for gearvr lenses and I own only Rift lenses (or_mount_64 file).
Your idea to cut off side parts is really really good!

1 Like

Alright, tested this one and it doesnt fit quite right, im going to move it back another couple of millimeters and use the mount you have lenses for.

Couldnt see any difference between the lens mounts and just picked one.

1 Like

Thanks :wink: Gearvr lenses are perfectly round and rift one are asymmetric :wink:

1 Like

Second try, used the or_64 file and moved the holders a bit back, printing more Pipboy parts and they wont be done before tomorrow so i couldnt test this before then.

2 Likes

It’s not bad but lenses are too close of the eyes, eyelids touch them.

1 Like

How far forward/away from ones eyes can i move the holders without touching the pimax lenses?

On the previous one they were touching the pimax lenses but i guess i have moved it back a little too much.

You can add 2.5mm forward. In my calculations I considered velcro thickess and face pressure, I hope they’re right.
But I’m afraid it won’t be enough because prescription lenses are convex. I think the key is to add deph in the headset by leaving the original interface shape, especially the side parts (they add around 5mm).

1 Like

Updated with holder moved forward 2.5mm, i also added a version with the nose part cut down, it still hooks to the lip below at the bottom so i think that should be enough support for for the lenses and it will print quicker.

1 Like

I’ll try this tonight, thanks ^^

1 Like

You’re very close of the perfect frame. The distance between lenses is perfect :+1:

But I confirm we need the entire shape, except the nose part to add depth and avoid eyes touching prescription lenses:

The first test with side parts is really promising.

Here’s where you can cut off the nose part:

4 Likes

On it, expect an update in a couple of minutes.

1 Like

Updated, seems you managed to get it printed but i included both an obj export and the windows 3d builder file in addition to the STL, just in case.
EDIT: added a full version as well so you can cut it yourself if you want to customize it, open it in windows 3d builder, click the model, click edit, click split and choose how you want to cut it.

Everything i did was actually in windows 3d builder, positioning, cutting the face spacer, just stretching the cut parts to intersect the lens holder as much as possible, cutting off the excess and then joining the parts together.

6 Likes

Thank you for the tip, I’ll try this :wink:

1 Like

so where do you buy the prescription lenses that fit this?

Thanks for the 3D model going to wait and see what you guys think and if its good will print.
Cant wait for Pimax any more (very disappointed with them about this)

1 Like

Since the holder file is called “3d lens lab” im gonna guess there is a firm by something close to that name around that sells lenses to fit it but i dont know, i just helped Korgen add two files together.

About Pimax not releasing their own yet, i think it is because they need to have the eye tracker finalized so they can make sure it works together with the prescription frame.
The eye tracker that was shown off in January of this year was still 3d printed.

If they were to put out a temporary frame i think that not everyone would realize that, buy lenses for it and then have to get another pair when the final version is released, which would make a lot of people even angrier.

2 Likes

Now if only pimax could make a statement instead of leaving everything to speculation.:beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

1 Like