Let's talk about 'Pimax Day' here

I use smartsmoothing with ED for quite some time now, it’s working for me since 144 beta, can supersample a lot with it with a 1080TI. I have about the same steamvr res as you but ingame i can add 1.75 ss with it. Is smartsmoothing not good enough on your system?
Then you surely can run it with the 8kx

2 Likes

It does when one posts things that will get one a suspension. Read over code of conduct please.

1 Like

I tried both smart smoothing and FFR (separately) and saw weird artifacts. I’ve got a pretty good system: i7-8700K, 32 GB ram, and a factory-overclocked RTX 2080, so I prefer to leave SS and FFR off.

2 Likes

It dont make sense that they will keep changing things. They will at some point have to do a long term manufacturing with quantity of parts to be most profitable. I do believe they will have a solid run once it is nailed down. But what happened to the backer edition will be the consumer edition? Or was that a rumor?

4 Likes

Originally, the 5K and 8K were promised to be exactly the same as the release version. Obviously, the 5K+ was an upgrade, so no 5K backers complained. Pimax did ship the release version of the 8K to the general public (non-backers), so technically, they did adhere to their promise.

The reason they keep changing things is that the display panels keep improving. The older panels might not even be available anymore.

2 Likes

Are we really on Schedule to ship the 8K+ by the end of the month?

I don’t want to be a downer but it’s the 15th and all indications seems we will get the new website earliest next week.

1 Like

oke i had that with old pitools, but since 144 it’s perfect for me. Maybe worth to look into that for you, with the performance gain there is a lot of room to get a really nice clear picture in ED with SS
(maybe you can try this with smartsmoothing on Pitool SS 0.75, steamvr app SS 100%, steamvr video SS Auto, ingame HMD SS 1.75 or 2)

3 Likes

Time to update firmware please.

2 Likes

OK, thanks! I’ll give that a try, next time I have some free time to play ED.

2 Likes

anybody else notised that the 5K+ is now listed as 120hz with no specific referrenceses to only in small FOW :slightly_smiling_face: could this be one of the big things they will reveal @ Pimax Day part 2 :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s probably just standard marketing tricks, but I hope not… :+1::wink:

Like before the “up to X Mbit” on internet connections in DK… :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Probably another bridge chip limitation

1 Like

Yeah I know what you mean :blush: just like 120hz best effort (hopefully not) :laughing:

1 Like

Also no eyetracking but sword shown?:thinking:

1 Like

eyetracking is in the lower right corner

3 Likes

Your right, my bad!:grin: lol

1 Like

So since there’s no trade in program, I’m not interested at all in discount coupons towards Pimax 8k+ / x, so @PimaxUSA can I use those coupons with eye tracking module / finger tracking module / extension cable? And since I’m not interested in 8k+ / x, when will you be sending the kickstarter rewards to backers like the cooling add on?

2 Likes

Have you tryied FFR conservative ? This mide looks good with my RTX 2080ti . No artefacts at all and in space I dont even see ffr circle area. SM makes ghosting effect in ED so I’m not a fan of it.

2 Likes

I use conservative but it still seems really aggressive in Elite to me. Not so bad in others. There’s noticeable distracting artifacts and blockiness too close to my centre view. But I accept it for the performance gain

2 Likes

Hi Neal hope you haven’t tried it yet. Just checked the settings, one is wrong. Steamvr video SS is at 50%
it makes 2348 x 2068 steamvr res

2 Likes