Let's talk about 'Pimax Day' here

Everything was ok on the first day.
On the second day, a crack was created in the middle of the housing. On the 3rd day the crack has got bigger. On the 4th day (today) I have not looked.

In what State Dir your Package arrive? Mine was a bit beaten up. I wonder what stress the HMDs are going through, at least the big one seams like there is either pressure on it structure vice or it got an impact. The smaller looks classical like the bridle plastic issue …

1 Like

I wonder if you can put your problem in the post of housing reports, which is not suitable for discussion here.
https://community.openmr.ai/t/housing-issue-reports-cracks-imperfections-etc/17203/765
I understand your mood. I’m trying to help you.
I suggest you don’t have to be so anxious…Thank you.

7 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Housing Issue Reports (cracks, imperfections etc.)

8Kx or 8K+? There are just too many choices. They seem so similar!

If you want to discuss the housing cracking, please move here:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/housing-issue-reports-cracks-imperfections-etc/17203
Thank you for your support.

4 Likes

It’s simple really, get the 8KX if you can afford it.

The ability to use native 4K res should make the image much clearer. If you want a faster framerate for specific games, you can reduce the rendered resolution. It only needs a single cable (DisplayPort 1.4, I think). It should have a noticeably longer useful life, since it will likely be awhile for anything comparable to be released by another company.

The only other reason not to get the 8KX would be to wait until an RGB OLED version is released.

5 Likes

Yes, is 8k+ kinda obsolete? 8k-X does the same and more. The price, yeah.

5 Likes

I think the 8kx will have have a bit more shelf life because of the native 4k screens . When the next generation video cards arrive we should be able to crank up the super sampling to get even better image quality .

7 Likes

The screens/panels are the same on the 8K+ and the 8KX so You must mean “due to native input mode (i.e. not scaled)”, right?

4 Likes

Personally I don’t even see the value in the 8K series at all. Sure you get a bit more sharpness and less (no) SDE. But comparing the 5K+ with the 8KX? is it worth double the price just for a little better panels and native 4K? Depending on your usecase, perhaps yes. But 700€, it aint worth for me.

I mean there is diminishing returns to a point.

Will 40,000$ Headphones sound 100x better than 400$ headphones, probably not?

Even if it’s none linear there is progression- just more dollars to spend for little progression at some point

For VR headsets we are nowhere near diminishing returns. With the 8kX we are just now beginning to hit headsets that could be used in a genuine work environment or even a home office. Simple requirements like sharp text and a nice FOV are key to a lot of general purpose use that is somewhere in the ballpark your monitor plays.

Things like movies and other media are another area where an 8kX really shows it’s value.

11 Likes

I sort of agree with you but unfortunately I have an hp reverb and once you have seen the high resolution clarity in x-plane / dcs / 5k films/ google earth street view and other high quality youtube vids etc , it’s quite hard to go back to the 5k+ even with it’s wider fov advantage , and reverb’s disadvantages ( massive ss on the 5k+ does help a lot to get it a bit closer though )
Not as big a difference as from og vive to the 5k+ or vive pro imo

1 Like

Thanks Trevor I don’t recall receiving anything I have checked all correspondence and can’t find anything of what you mention.
Graham

1 Like

with these two additions Pimax just has Wayyy too many models. Especially for such a small company.

I think my biggest upgrade concern is whether to wait for displayport 2.0. It just seems like that single upgrade to the 8kx will make a big life difference to the headset.

I know we all find different thing the “most important”, better bIacks, better lenses, etc, etc and I don’t know the tech like a lot of you. Is my thinking accurate?

1 Like

I should have mentioned that I don’t use VR for desktop work, nor do I play simulators.
So for playing like SkyrimVR or even just Beat Saber… there is no reason for me to get anything more expensive than the 5K+, I would say? I will try the 8KX at VRDays in a few weeks so I’ll see it for myself but for my usecase, I sincerely doubt it’s worth double the price :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is the Pimax 5k+ to 8K X upgrade system up and running?
If so, where is the link? I dont see it anywhere.