Let's talk about 'Pimax Day' here

A nice I thought the Visa is only valid for 30 days…

Sounds great, but the thing us backers are waiting for is not so much the presentation, it’s the website with our backer prices for the 8K+ and the 8KX and other discount options :+1:
So will that part be a part og the presentation or will IT be this week ?

3 Likes

@PimaxUSA Isn’t one of the VR’s main purpose to put people from anywhere over the world in the same space ? Why don’t you organize a VR meeting with all attendees wearing Pimax headsets ? You should promote this kind of things, instead of flying thousands of miles.

4 Likes

Yeah, which is why although I prefer the spec of the 8K-X over the 8K+, it’s a question of whether we can use that extra capability in practice. I certainly hope so. But like the car analogy, the version that I can use 95% of its ability is, to me, a better bet than a higher performance version where I can only use 60% in most conditions.

If you are supersampling any title for your 5k+ at 1.5 (eq. SteamVR ss 225%), then you are already doing the 8kX’s 1.0.

Sure, the problem is Elite as PP is a big hit so unlikely for that, however I’m currently trying some new settings that offer a better balance than I had previously

Well, the next gen of Nvidia gpus is rumored to come in the first half of next year. Pimax wants the 8k X to be their flagship if things haven’t changed. It’d make little sense for Pimax to release their flagship and then in less than a year release something that completely destroys it. They sort of did this with the 8k, but that was a special scenario because the 8k had it’s fair share of problems.

Suggest you get over it now, Pimax will produce at least 1 new headset each year :wink: it’s hurt but let be honest here everybody is targeting HTC et Valve for waiting to long to integrate new tech in VR. Pimax in his own mysterious ways is doing it. Can’t have it both way!

Sure right now I won’t speculate much, as the release schedule doesn’t seem established enough for me to predict atm. Same as everyone, I’m after as much info as I can get now to make a judgement on the most usable upgrade for me, if I decide to go for one of these.

2 Likes

It’s been repeatedly said the performance of the 8kx is about the same as the 8k/8k+, since the higher resolution is not requiring as much supersampling in relative terms.

Obviously it would be useful to have some fps/setting comparisons and no doubt they will be ‘coming up’, but for now I trust what we’re being told by sweviver etc…

6 Likes

Hmm I don’t think so.
With my 5K+ at Pitool 1.0 and steam ss 100%, rendering resolution is about 3200 * 2633 per eye.

(3800 * 2400) / (3200 * 2633) = 1.0824…

Not a big deal :smiley:

5 Likes

Sure, fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

That’s a lot higher than I can run and maintain 80 fps (in ED, in space, not on a planet). I’m currently running 2620x2580 on an RTX 2080 for 60-80 fps. I’m wondering if my system is under-performing.

Regardless, it sounds like the 8KX will provide a better experience, even when using your current 5K+/8K settings. The 8KX visuals will improve noticeably when you upgrade your GPU (compared to your current headset). To me, it’s better to get an 8KX, rather than an 8K+.

3 Likes

As @spamenigma said the 8kX essentially is the 8k+ as both have a scaler. The 8kX benefit over the 8k+ is when you have a gpu capable of truly pushing running the 8kX is you will be able from what they have said to disable/bypass scaler to run 4k/eye native.

Only question is how much the 8kX cable can be extended. @pimaxvr’s last post 2m extention should work for an overall 7m. But we might have some developments revealed on Pimax day part 2. I would wait til we have better details to consider with a more complete picture.

7 Likes

People are entitled to their opinions. We are all continuous frustrated. You saying “Keep nonsense out of the forum” doesn’t help

I use smartsmoothing with ED for quite some time now, it’s working for me since 144 beta, can supersample a lot with it with a 1080TI. I have about the same steamvr res as you but ingame i can add 1.75 ss with it. Is smartsmoothing not good enough on your system?
Then you surely can run it with the 8kx

2 Likes

It does when one posts things that will get one a suspension. Read over code of conduct please.

1 Like

I tried both smart smoothing and FFR (separately) and saw weird artifacts. I’ve got a pretty good system: i7-8700K, 32 GB ram, and a factory-overclocked RTX 2080, so I prefer to leave SS and FFR off.

2 Likes

It dont make sense that they will keep changing things. They will at some point have to do a long term manufacturing with quantity of parts to be most profitable. I do believe they will have a solid run once it is nailed down. But what happened to the backer edition will be the consumer edition? Or was that a rumor?

4 Likes

Originally, the 5K and 8K were promised to be exactly the same as the release version. Obviously, the 5K+ was an upgrade, so no 5K backers complained. Pimax did ship the release version of the 8K to the general public (non-backers), so technically, they did adhere to their promise.

The reason they keep changing things is that the display panels keep improving. The older panels might not even be available anymore.

2 Likes

Are we really on Schedule to ship the 8K+ by the end of the month?

I don’t want to be a downer but it’s the 15th and all indications seems we will get the new website earliest next week.

1 Like

oke i had that with old pitools, but since 144 it’s perfect for me. Maybe worth to look into that for you, with the performance gain there is a lot of room to get a really nice clear picture in ED with SS
(maybe you can try this with smartsmoothing on Pitool SS 0.75, steamvr app SS 100%, steamvr video SS Auto, ingame HMD SS 1.75 or 2)

3 Likes

Time to update firmware please.

2 Likes

OK, thanks! I’ll give that a try, next time I have some free time to play ED.

2 Likes

anybody else notised that the 5K+ is now listed as 120hz with no specific referrenceses to only in small FOW :slightly_smiling_face: could this be one of the big things they will reveal @ Pimax Day part 2 :smiley:

5 Likes