Lenses & FoV Grim Realities

Okay folks I have been thinking this over.

I submit from What we saw with Panasonic’s 220 FoV prototype. That with Flat lenses that sit Parallel to 180° of our eyes. Cannot be more greater than 180 & likely less than 180.

For us to have greater FoV we need angled screens/Lenses that cover the sides.

With Flat lenses & screens I suspect most we could get is 180 to 190 horizontal FoV.

Details Manufactures should provide is FoV Vertical & Horizontal & Diagonal with reference of Pupil to lense distance used to base FoV calculation.

3 Likes

This is basic geometry. With a flat (non-angled) display in front of your eye, the only way to get a 180° field of view is if your eye was actually touching the screen. Therefore, a flat display will always have an FOV less than 180°. Practically speaking, the limit is probably closer to 150°, since you don’t want a headset that is excessively wide. To get a larger FOV, you need for the display to go past the front of the eye, towards the ears. This could be achieved by angled or curved screens.

Why is the limit 180°? Assume your eye is the point of a triangle and the 2 ends of the screen are the other 2 vertices. “The sum of the angles in a triangle is 180º”, therefore a FOV of 180° means that the other 2 angles are 0°, which is a degenerate triangle (also known as a line).

Source: The Sum of the Angles in a Triangle

1 Like

That’s my general thought too. Though we might be able to get 180 & maybe with angled displays up to a max guess of 190 without curved or display/lense setup like Panasoniccs prototype. With our eyes being rounded we might be able to place a parallel line out to the bridge of the nose(only a guess though).

But yeah without wrapping around the sides of tg3e head no way to achieve higher. Imho.

It would be nice to start with the story about Wide Fov from InfinitEey.
https://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16434

All information is available here.
If you are a big fan of DIY, you’d be screaming with joy.

1 Like

Isn’t that what StarVR was before the name change?

Awesome link

InfinitEye is the start of StarVR.

For Fov,
You can easily get the desired FOV by adjusting the angle of the display panel and the lens like folding glasses.
Of course, you should pay attention to the focus.
I even adjusted the FOV until the lens was fully in contact with my cheek.
So I don’t worry much about the FOV of the pimax8k.

1 Like

@bubbleball also posted an excellent document on Wearability’s FoV glasses.

But yeah at the end of the day the FoV on pimax will be impressive.

When I wear wearality far a little from my eyes, I not see any edge in vertical. This is great, but I have to modify the headset to prevent the light around and new headstrap.

I have a plan to test it with samsung note 9 too, ever test with S9+ or note 8 (not sure) and almost not see the edge in vertical. Unfortunately the PPI of note 9 still be same around 510+ PPI.

1 Like

With a dual separate lens setup per eye, distortion will be unavoidable and extremely pronounced when your eyes move from one lens to another in the same eye, it’s a basic optic feature, try looking through two oval shaped drinking glasses, the effect is very close to what you would see things on the Panasonic.

2 Likes

Indeed Panasonic’s prototype is quite interesting. But I think in the end we need some kind of curved optics with curved displays. But still kind of neat for the form factor.

1 Like

http://community.openmr.ai/t/12th-august-update-discussion/7466/387?u=heliosurge

http://community.openmr.ai/t/12th-august-update-discussion/7466/363?u=heliosurge