Key questions about 8K VR ? List here

Bandwidth not an issue with display port 1.4, which is in the 8k.

Read this thread man, @deletedpimaxrep1 claims otherwise. Max 1440p input.

I did but elsewhere she said it CAN do native 4k per eye, but you’ll need a 1080ti to do it

Only the special ‘X’ version that’s due for Q2-Q3 in 2018 she said.

I thought she said the Kickstarter version would.

On FAQ page I read the following,

What does it mean that consumer version will be better “crafted”? So it’s not just a packaging? Does this mean it will be using better materials compared to kickstarter version?

Also, what sjefdeklerk mentioned above,

What’s this special ‘X’ version? I am fairly new to Pimax forum and it’s confusing what products are releasing on what schedule.

If this X model is indeed coming out, the kickstarter backers will be basically buying a product that will be out-performed by a new product within months?

I have the same questions… @deletedpimaxrep1
, can you answer these questions? And btw, thank you for keeping us informed on all this information, you’ve been great!

Read here: http://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8k-vr-frequent-asked-questions/2958/66

I am not very tech-savvy. But if I understand it correctly, this means that the kickstarter version is NOT CAPABLE of running NATIVE 4K? It will only receive upto 25601440 per eye input and stretch it over two 38402160 screens, right?

Exactly. HUGE FAIL. I’m not going to back it myself. They said they might release a version that can support native resolution, in Q2-Q3 2018. So a year from now. By then they might (or might not) have competition already.

Yikes… thanks for the heads up. If it’s all true I might sit this one out.

3 Likes

They really pulled a fast one here, and have been giving the wrong impression about native resolution support for months now.

I love the idea of 200 degree FOV, but not with no detail increase.

Depends on price for me. I won’t pay much for a half assed device but I really want 200 FOV…,

1 Like

I would reccommend if you on the fence of a kickstarter model then wait for reviews before choosing to investing.

Kickstarters are not finalised products & ppl usually are aware thats what kickstarter projects are. Like Steam Early acs.

1. Will foveated rendering be native 4k in the center or will it still be limited to 1440p?
    A: the foveated rendering mainly for native 2*4K resolution.
  2. when will the optional pimax headband with the integrated audio be available?
    A:around Feb.2018
  3. Are you sure it’s a spacewarp equivalent (spacewarp reprojects depth, while a timewarp equivalent reprojects translational head movement), and not a timewarp equivalent?
    A:we support ATW and ASW, ABW(asynchronous brainwarp ) only enable in some special case and could be disable as you like.
  4. does the pimax 8k use valves new sensors inside the hmd? As I understand it, you can use the new sensors with the old OR new lighthouses, you can’t use the new lighthouses with the old sensors.
    A: Yes, if you already have lighthouse 1.0 basestation, we recommend you choose 1.0 sensors. 2.0 sensor just come out and the validation is ongoing, even for Valve.
  5. what time in the United States EST does the Kickstarter go live?
    A:?? @deletedpimaxrep1, pls answer
  6. is the integrated mic high quality? Better than the vive I hope…
    A: yes, the mic with high quality. we take oculus CV1 audio performance for reference
  7. are there any USB ports on the device?
    Two Type C USB in the HMD
  8. what is your partnership with valve? Did they help at all in anyway?
    Sure, Valve is our key partner.
4 Likes

Correct Information here,
Actually we can support extended mode. it’s a software feature, we just disable it as default. Since we don’t have good reason to enable it.

Why you need extended mode? visual desktop is more convenient for the end users

1 Like

Actually, it was not meant for me, but meant to let you know early enough for those who need it.

1 Like

Awesome posts hopefully this helps folks understsnd some things better.

With upgrading say later to different display board for dual 1.4 dp with 4k/eye native support. Is the interface board designed to be swapped out say like a wifi laptop card? So less technical users could uograde easily via a kit?

I already have Vive 1.0 basestations and in that case Pimax recommends choosing 1.0 sensors inside HMD, but IF new sensors should be compatible with 1.0 basestations, wouldn’t it be more futureproof to choose new sensors? Then if one of my old basestations happen to break in half a year, then I can buy new lighthouses instead of being worried that maybe old basestations are not sold anymore.

Edit: It makes sense that as long as HTC is planning to support Vive CV1, old basestations will be sold. But in case something happens to one of my old basestations, replacing them with new ones is supposedly cheaper than buying old versions.

isnt’ the spacewarp an oculus technology linked to their SDK? how can you support it? It seems kinda impossible to me…also replicating it it’s very unlikely possible in my opinion

1 Like