Just recieved my pimax 8kx kit. Advice on what I should do next?

no rumor. Here somewhere in the forum there should also be a few comparisons with OpenVR Benchmark from me. I’m too lazy to search though. it’s been 1 or 2 years.

for your test, think your render resolution is to high to compare. You are in the CPU limit.

1 Like

No rumor as many users have stater this and if not mistaken both @SweViver and @pimaxUSA. Have also said this as well.

General recommendation has been 1.25 to 1.5 in PiRender.

However some games often Unreal prefer 0.75 to 1.0 due to some titles crashing if set higher.

2 Likes

OP like you I’ve trialled a pimax 8ks over the weekend and my only gripe is the slight but constant jitter when connected to a lighthouse.

How do you find the jitter? I.e even when still, objects seem to subtly move a little. Compared to something like the vive pro 2 which is silky smooth.

Ps: I’m unable to post a new thread (access denied type error).

would like to help you, but only have LH1.0 stations. :frowning: They’re probably a little more stable.

For threads, think @Heliosurge can give you a upgrade.

1 Like

Welcome to the OpenMR!

Bob when reading a topic in an area where you want to create a topic press the [+] on top bar it should populate Category properly. Have also bumped your user level by one.

1 Like

That’s what I have - only one of them though BUT I’m seated. Only use it for sim racing.

ok, make sure the station is at least 1.5 m away. More is better. Laterally, something above is good.
Ahh, and reflections can make a little bit trouble with only on station.

1 Like

You may need to raise the lighthouse higher and adjust downward angle. @neal_white_iii may have some suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks I’ve managed to post now :slight_smile:

1 Like

… Will reply in new thread :+1:

1 Like

https://community.openmr.ai/t/rtx-30-series-discussion-part-2/31656/182?u=dstar

2 Likes

My experience does not correlate with that. Just 1 game as an example:

I start my pc and start pitool to get my base stations tracking.
I then start assetto corsa via content manager.
The game starts up.
I decide I want to tweak fov so i quit the game and steamvr, then apply & save fov change in pitool.
Then I restart the game via AC’s content manager, NOT pitool, the fov is changed as expected.

Other games work the same way, msfs, american truck sim, euro truck sim 2, PC2, vtol, alyx, etc.
So i don’t know why u say u need to start through pitool? Maybe there are some games that u have and i don’t that require this for some reason, idk.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting data. However, the relevant portions I see are:

Pitool 1.0, SteamVR 100% = 3704x3204@17.99fps = 214M pixels/sec
Pitool 1.0, SteamVR 50% = 2700x2336@34.86fps = 220M pixels/sec
Pitool 1.5, SteamVR 24% = 2808x2428@32.87fps = 224M pixels/sec

Which is in line with what I’m observing in my tests. The latter two are similar resolutions and produce nearly identical pixel rates. Pitool 1.5 is showing slightly less bad 0.3% lows. But by the numbers, it seems like very small variations in the results are probably going to change in either direction from driver version to driver version and possibly even run to run.

I’ve observed that kind of small variation in my own testing. Certain resolutions produce slightly better results than others in terms of pixels/sec and jitter which I expect is due to slight oscillations and harmonics of timings. I look for clear trends that stand out from the noise. And I have found a number of such trends, but I’m just not seeing that with pitool quality vs SteamVR resolution setting.

1 Like

What you’re saying is not actually in conflict with what I’m saying.

The key here is that you are manually applying the settings that you want for the game when you do the “apply & save” step above. That’s also a valid way of doing it. Before you startup SteamVR and whatever game, you can set the various settings in pitool and then apply, and those are now the active settings, and they will be there for whatever game you launch next through any means you like.

What the pitool game launcher does is allow you to setup up and save per game settings for each specific game rather than having to do it manually every time. The advantage of doing it this way is that you don’t have to twiddle the individual pitool settings before you launch the game. You don’t have to remember what you’ve been setting them to. You just launch the game from pitool, and it will automatically do the “individually twiddle all the settings to what you wanted and then apply” for you before it launches SteamVR and the game.

2 Likes

So this is strange. The other day I was playing PC3 on normal , then while the game was running i adjusted fov to large and then small and i could see the effect right away.

I also adjusted backlight brightness and it worked.

As well as color settings.

I know it was increasing the fov correctly because there was no distortion I could now see the sides of my f1 car correctly.

So fov can totally be adjusted on the fly. Its actually way more useful setting the mask change sizes.

1 Like

Sorry , yeah that’s what i meant. You dont need to launch from Pitool you just need to Apply.

All pitool does is let you save settings per game.

Hitting Apply has the same effect as launching it.

If all you want to do is changes something and relaunch you can simply make your change and launch from pitool or cluch apply and launch it from any other place.

2 Likes

Yeah I forgot some reported FoV changes seems to work. Color and Brightness is like Ipd soft settings and can be adjusted on the fly.

So might only be PiRender and PP that mainly require a restart.

Normally i dont use Large because the massive pixel increase isnt usually worth the performance drop.

But what shocked the heck out of me was how much of a difference it made when sitting in an Open wheel F1 car.

And the only reason I noticed it was because i had switched on the fly from normal to Large.

The only reason Large is worth it specifically for these cars is … You can see the sides of the cockpit next to your shoulders and it really gives you the feeling of hurtling at 200km/h in a coffin on wheels.

Also because your centered in the car when other cars and track walls are next to you they are literally “next to you” I was spotting cars right beside me.

In a normal sedan type vehicle because you are on the left side of the car and the only view of the right side is the passenger window it doesn’t have the same effect and I can easily set it to Small FOV and be quite happy.

Now what I really want is a hot key to switch FOV settings on the fly so that I can get the Large FOV when I need it and toggle back and forth to see the difference easier.

Any Ideas?

I know Autohotkey can target specific UI buttons and press them, but since pitool is using some weird Qt library i not sure it would work

Is there some registry setting or shared memory hack that can toggle that setting?

2 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Pimax FOV settings off on HMD

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.