Jaron Lanier Explains What Could Make VR ‘A Device Of Nightmares’

Jaron Lanier Explains What Could Make VR ‘A Device Of Nightmares’

Looks like even one of the very first pioneer of the VR is sharing the same concerns I have on the matter.

1 Like

It is like Americans believing Fox News and Russians believing Russia Today.
It is only dangerous for the uninformed people. If you know its economic incentives playing you, you are better guarded against it. Though even if you think you are aware of those manipulations, you are still bound to be in contact with it. Long story short. Be aware and be woke.

1 Like

Good for the woke but there’s a lot more to it than that. We are groups, not individuals. Children, and other unaware people will need protection. And you said it yourself, you can’t really escape manipulations even while you’re aware of it.

The eye tracking worries me too. Eye tracking is already used in all kinds of research to find out what people look at in commercials and even things like sexual preference can be deduced by the micro moments you look at certain things, moments your brain just put out and it’s only after the fact that your conscious person decides to stop or continue. A VR eye tracker will be recording all those moments to add to the big data and AI to learn from. It won’t be long or these types of readings from users will reveal much of your inner desires, weaknesses and sophistication levels. And if economy is a driving factor, you bet the advertisement agencies want this data badly. Also, governments probably.

I’ve talked about this issue before and always got a reaction involving tin foil hats and general laughter, glad to see the pioneer of VR thinks alike.

All new technology can be used for good and evil, so if a new tech comes along and we’re only looking at the good parts… well, that’s just asking for trouble, right?

3 Likes