It was pointless to have builtin scalars on the 8K, ruined potential

No, not at all.
There are pros and cons in scaling technology for the 8k.

Pointless is to whine about it when there’s an option for 5k+ and 8kX to use no scaler.

At the time of design a year ago, which chip would you have suggested they use to bridge the led screens together ? Also, what type of display input and version spec would you have suggested they use ? At that time the bridge chip they had wasn’t capable of support DSC.

It’s perfectly acceptable to indicate that they didn’t need an upscaler…I’m just wondering how you would have made it technically feasible based on the chipsets and standards in use at the time, and also fit it within reasonable budgetary constraints ?

2 Likes

There is some point to the OP’s statement, even though it was not apparent 1 year ago. Seems like 1.5x SS (rendering 2x 4k) is necessary for 8k to look good. And if we are rendering 2x 4k anyway, then I think it will look better to pass it natively (kind of why 5k looks better with 1.0 setting).

Of course the bandwidth issues remain.

If someone had such foresight, he could have ordered 8k-X. I suppose most of us expected scaling to work better.

1 Like

Indeed. I knew from the 4k you needed to SS/render multiply more to get a nicer image. It’s a compromise.