Is the 5k+ or 8K+ best for sim racing?

Yes just to clarify, I do sim racing fairly competitively and that’s pretty much all I will use it for. I really need 100hz or higher in whatever option I choose.

At this stage, assuming I will mostly just be using the ‘normal FOV’ setting then it’s coming down to a choice between the Artisan or the 8K+. I’m disregarding the 5K+ due to it being the worst performer in terms of SDE. Probably the 8K+ is edging it at the moment just because of the extra resolution over the artisan and I plan to get a 2080ti so that I can run it nicely.

The 8KX is not in consideration just because the low refresh rate being a deal breaker for me, and if use it in upscale mode to get the 120hz then it’s basically very similar to the 8k+ but at a much higher price point.

Got it. Then it sounds like it comes down to how much does SDE bother you?

If the answer is “a lot” you should probably get the 8K+, otherwise I suggest getting the Artisan, which has a 120 Hz framerate and is less expensive. Both have sufficient FOV to see both side mirrors of your car, while looking straight ahead. I think that’s the most important thing any Pimax headset brings to racing games (and I sure do use that feature in Assetto Corsa).

1 Like

The other reason is its here now, I’ve been using it for weeks. When the 8KX is available if its better I’ll move it on. How long before people will have the 8KX.

I agree that the 8KX in upscaled mode is 10hz higher, however if you’re having to use it like that then the 8KX does become expensive. Its only if we can get 90hz at native 4k that it becomes suitable for competitive sim racing.

1 Like

I understand. I expect I will use my 8KX at native res most of the time, for Elite D, watching movies, and Virtual Desktop. My 8K maxes out at 80 Hz and I find that to be acceptable, but I like having a faster refresh rate option available (in case I decide to play a fast-paced game in the future).

2 Likes

The good thing is we have options :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OK final question (maybe, haha) and apologies that this thread is drifting around but it’s been very helpful.

If I went with an Artisan then I could also just keep my 1080ti, so it’d be a much cheaper total upgrade and it would be easier to sell again if I’m not keen for whatever reason. However, how much of a step up would it be from the Samsung Odyssey+ that I had before? From specs the resolution seems similar, so the main difference is therefore the higher refresh rate and slightly wider FOV? Certainly might be a good stop gap until we get to a point in the future when we all have 3080ti’s and native 4k that can do 110hz :slight_smile:

That’s still a good GPU. You can use your 1080 Ti with either the Artisan or the 8K+.

Since the Artisan is not upscaled, you can probably use a lower super-sampling setting. It would also be running at its native res (1440p) at 120 Hz, so the panel images would be a little crisper (not as smooth) as an 8K+, but the Artisan will also have a bit more SDE (but not as much as a 5K+).

You won’t be able to use FFR (fixed foveated rendering) on your 1080 Ti, but you can still use Smart Smoothing. (Both of those are PiTool settings to help improve your framerate.)

That means you may need to run with somewhat reduced graphics settings, until you upgrade your GPU, but you should be fine. A lot of Pimax users have 1080 Tis.

I couldn’t find a comparison between the Artisan and Odyssey+, but here’s some info comparing the Valve Index to the Artisan…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.