Index or G2? I kind of want to get rid of my 8kx or if I ever get a working one also

After my whole experience with the 8kx, I kinda just want to swap to something else. At first I thought it was going to be an amazing experience but it having horrible support, horrible headstrap, bad service and feels super heavy with incomplete software.

Everyones talking about the g2 and I know you can get diy stuff to get it working with knuckles controllers and basestations, but would the imdex full kit be better off, than a g2? I mean, a g2 apparently looks amazing, but when switching from a rift s to 8kx i was just like, wow it looks better but now what? I just want an easy transition so I can finally play vr. Plus the 2 rmas 8kx I have tried, I don’t feel like I am really there in the game and I always feel like im gonna go crosseye even with the best possible ipd unlike with my old rift s. I think lenses matter more to me than resolution and a complete package too

3 Likes

G2 maybe with LH and IC setup. Though the ipd adjustment is only a 3 settings. But has Index lenses and Index Audio.

2 Likes

does G2 have 3 settings? I recall Q2 has it while G2 has a slider, hasn’t it?

2 Likes

Yeah. Pretty sure You’ve got the Quest 2 and the Reverb G2 mixed up… :wink:

G2 not “Q2”… :grin:

4 Likes

From what you can read it should be e Reverb G2 rather than the Index, as it apparently boasts superior picture quality to a degree you wouldn’t want to miss out on. Tracking is the achilles heel of the G2, but here comes the suggestion you brought up yourself - apply the fix to use Index controllers & lighthouse boxes, and you probably have pretty much the ideal setup for the moment. The 8KX may be a competitor for those willing to deal with all the extra efforts required, but you pointed out that you were rather tired of it, so there you go…

5 Likes

There is pic in Tom’s Hardware. The Reverb G2 has a selector switch for mech ipd with 3 positions.

2 Likes

Blockquote
The Reverb G2 includes a slider for linear lens spacing adjustment. The Reverb G2 supports an IPD range of 60mm to 68mm

knobs on the slider doesn’t mean it has only 3 fixed positions & the same source as you mentioned mentions this ^. Im not sure that Im right, but I never heard anything about 3 fixed positions for IPD on G2, nobody never mentioned it, so I believe slider is working in full range with 2 separate displays

3 Likes

No, just no, its a slider, not a 3 position thing, thats quest 2

4 Likes

Found the review:

The Reverb G2 includes a slider for linear lens spacing adjustment. The Reverb G2 supports an IPD range of 60mm to 68mm, which is surprisingly narrow compared to other VR headsets.

3 Likes

The G2 has a smooth IPD adjustment from 60 to 68mm. The Quest 2 is what has 3 positions.

3 Likes

Yeah mixed it up as the pic is referring to Q2 having only 3 positions.

2 Likes

Hi Geoff.
Have u heard anything from Amazon.Es regarding your G2? Sorry off topic.

1 Like

Could you post in the appropriate sub forum please?
https://community.openmr.ai/c/OTHER-HMDS

@Heliosurge any chance you could move this out of the PIMAX hardware sub forum? Thanks

2 Likes

Complete a simple edit of topic title will allow category change.

1 Like

Not yet no, just says they they will update when they have a date.

1 Like

I would definitely not recommend getting a reverb g2 in the hope of constantly using it with index controllers & basestations.
I’ve done a fair bit of reading on this as I have 8kx, index & g2 coming soon.
I have concluded its most likely not worth it.
You want a nice easy experience?
You won’t get that having to mess about calibrating playspaces which will keep unsyncing themselves requiring you to regularly redo the setup.
From what I’ve read from others experiences, the playspaces need resyncing practically every play session & although can work well, just becomes an extra cumbersome task which most don’t want to keep doing

1 Like

That may have been true in the past but not anymore. I use openvrspace calibrator along with openvr advanced settings and it really only takes 1 minute to do the initial calibration and I haven’t had to recalibrate in months.

3 Likes

Biggest problem with G2 is WMR Cliff House and the windows mixed reality portal. That and the bad tracking. All reviewers are complaining about it

1 Like

That sounds more promising than things I’ve read & heard from others using wmr & index controllers.
I will try it when I get mine although to me it would be very important to have the headset steam tracked also.
It seems attaching a steam tracker to the headset & have it reliably work in games is very problematic.
As someone who started vr on a psvr, personally I think I would be ok with the standard tracking solution.
But like that, its a bad headset to use on my yawvr

1 Like

Why does it matter to you that the headset is tracked by lighthouses?