Index controller tracking issues. Never gonna be fixed?

Yeah one of the 2? 3? times i sent back my index controllers they asked me to shutdown my wifi, fridge and more. So that has been taken care of. Also 1 time hanged sheets around my play area so there would be 0 reflections.

Too bad I can’t post the important parts of my conversations with the steam support since the logs get removed after 60 days

1 Like

It could be that the person who has a z390 motherboard has wireless interference problems but your tracking issues are caused by the bandwidth limitation of USB 3.0 vs USB 3.1.

You should still be able to solve the issue by purchasing a seperate steamVR tracking dongle and sending half the tracking data into a seperate USB port.

1 Like

The fact the z390 guys controllers work when one controller is connected to the headset with a USB-C cable indicates he could be experiencing wireless interference.

If plugging one controller via USB-C into the headset doesn’t resolve the tracking issue for you like it did for him, then I think I’m right and your bottleneck is the USB 3.0 5gbps transfer speed limitation of z370 boards.

1 Like

I plugged to usb c as well and it was perfect. had vive controllers earlier they worked really well but guess they aren’t as needy as the index controllers

1 Like

Ok so if it’s not caused by

USB 3.0 bandwidth limitation

If it’s not wireless interference if you’ve tried the steps to isolate that problem

It can’t be an issue due to insufficient PCI lanes as z390 and z370 both have 24 PCI lanes.

It’s not an AMD related CPU problem as both you and the guy you mentioned have Intel CPUs

1. Have you tried using other USB ports on your motherboard?

2. Have you unplugged all other unnecessary and unused USB devices before testing which could be eating up bandwidth?

Failing that, I think you should just buy a steamVR dongle as that’s a proven fix.

Yeah vive controllers are not a good comparison and it’s a false equivalency as they don’t send nearly as much tracking data or haptic data, remember the Index controllers have finger tracking and capacitive touch sensor data which has to be transmitted, the Vive controllers don’t transmit that information.

yep done all that.

Just feels like if I buy a steamvr dongle it’s like i’m accepting that they messed up (if it’s a pimax problem). I wouldn’t have bought the index controllers if it said that some or early headsets would have tracking problems with the controllers. That’s pretty much what they’re hoping for :slight_smile: (I’ve had my share of dealing with the support, gotten to know them well :upside_down_face:).

1 Like

Look on the bright side if you bought any WMR headset and you want to use index controllers you need to buy the steamvr dongles separately, so it’s really no different to using the index controllers on the G2. :japanese_goblin: the additional SteamVR dongles are a necessary evil at the moment for any headset besides index if you want to use the knuckles.

They do as well just check Steamvr panel on desktop it shows 2 watchman dongles. From my understanding with SteamVR each controller/tracker has it’s own watchman. Why tracking pucks if not mistaken come with a dongle to pair with.

Debugging an issue like this can be difficult as there are many avenues to explore.

For example if individual A whom has this issue took his pc and headset to individual B’s house whom doesn’t have the issue. What would be the result?

That being said though with some folks having multiple steamvr headsets and only 1 having the issue suggests a problem with that specific hmd.

To be honest imho the built in dongles in any steamvr headset should be made to be easily irreplaceable like a wifi card in a laptop or usb slim dongle like logitech’s nano etc…

What are the chances the issue presenting for some users and not others could be due to Pimax using watchmen dongles of an inferior quality aka counterfeit dongles programmed with the SteamVR software which occasionally go faulty?

That would explain why some users have the problem on the 5k+ and not the 8KX.

I just bought a USB 3.0 Bluetooth 5.0 dongle which I suspect came from chyna which was faulty out of the box, so it wouldn’t surprise me considering chyna is known to produce cheap components but such cheap components are not always synonymous with quality.

Could be a variety of possibilities. There could be multiple suppliers used for dongles as the dongles are simply a specification not as they say a fake one.

Placement inside the hmd can be a factor. For example a laptop’s wifi doesn’t use external antennas like the sane laptop wifi card used in a pc does. This is in part why imho the watchman dongles in steamvr and even Oculus should be easy to remove and swap in case of failure or simply a newer better hardware components in a revised model.

In a more ideal headset would follow more of what OSVR was trying to do with a completely upgradable or near device. Much like you can buy special laptop frames that are very customizable and upgradable.

For what it’s worth, Asus and MSI are known to have USB issues.
Also, controller tracking issues are frequently bluetooth related. It’s a common scenario to have the bluetooth receiver at the back of the computer. This makes the computer tower block the radio waves to/from the receiver, making the tracking suck. Check to make sure that your ‘dongle’ (whether Steam or another source) hasn’t fallen behind your computer or that you’re not otherwise interfering with it.
-I can’t remember if the Index controllers have a dongle or if they connect to an interior bluetooth inside our Pimax headsets. You might want to check in your device manager to make sure that you don’t have any conflicts going on.
-edit: looking at my system, I don’t see any bluetooth from Pimax, just my onboard bluetooth. My internal bluetooth receiver has an antennae that I mounted to the side of the tower to give me maximum range.

2 Likes

I’m the guy, I had tracking problems in my 5k+ but when the new pitool came out that improved the tracking that Alex and Valve were reviewing some things, for me I greatly improved those problems, at first in a first alpha the tracking seemed somewhat slower and less accurate, but then I get better with the next versions. I don’t know if they improved the package code or what exactly Alex did, or prediction improvements maybe, idk.

You have updated firmware and pitool and you still have the same problems?

I think that somehow the dongles do not have enough power, their data transmission and radio is weak, sometimes by bringing the controls closer to the hmd I noticed an improvement when I suffered those problems

on my 8kx the tracking seems good but I still have the gun grip from now on randomly loosen, not sure if this is still a pimax related issue, but I have it on my 5k+ too

3 Likes

If it’s not faulty dongle related, It could also be an issue caused by the plastic on the Pimax headsets causing some type of interference with the signal which makes the controllers jitter, if said jittering on index controllers when using Pimax headsets is not caused by motherboard header outputs behind the computer being obfuscated by the actual computer tower, or interference from a Bluetooth receiver plugged into your computer.

I have a Pimax 5k+, rog crosshair xiii motherboard with an amd r9 3950x cpu, original vive (1.0) base stations, and never had index controller issues at all.

2 Likes

I just ordered the damn steam dongles from some random website. The pitool updates helped it a bit but still noticing my controllers glitch away. I’m defeated and now hopefully for pimax sake no one brings this up again. I just wonder what kind of info Alex is sitting on… :thinking:

1 Like

Is this related to the issue we experienced with firmware post 262 where in HL Alyx the left controller periodically disconnected and reconnected for a 1 second?

I will say that last I played with the most recent software I haven’t experienced it since.

Maybe it’s fixed?

2 Likes

https://community.openmr.ai/t/tracking-issues-april-2020/26759/2

1 Like

It wasn’t fixed, but some improvements were made.
I can easily reproduce the issue in the games like Beat Saber (controllers freezing/lost connection a lot).
I have Pimax 5k+ (waiting for 8kx arriving), Index Controllers, and LH v1.0;
The working solution for me is to pair one controller with an external SteamVR dongle (actually, reprogrammed Steam Controller dongle).
BTW. I had an OG Vive headset, and there were no issues using Index Controllers without additional dongles.

3 Likes